Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe weather: Snow and Ice and sub zero temperatures from Thursday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

Weather warning for N Ireland for thursday

here

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭MetLuver

vibe666 wrote: »
    i've done that before, but she gets means tested for the meagre sum they give her so if i start paying money directly into her bank account the government might decide to reduce the amount they give her.

i spoke to her last night and she told me that they had put up her gas & electric bill from £65 per month to £95 and they sent her a letter to say its going up to £120 per month in January. she then went on to say that she turned down the heating to try and save money and had started using a couple of blankets and hot water bottle in the evenings to keep her warm. :mad:

whatever happens i'm going to do my best to make sure she's okay, but it would be nice if i can tell her if she's going to get snow or not and how cold its likely to get.

What a perfect time of year to go and do something like that. Doesn't make sense to me. I'm sorry to hear that, I hope herself, and others in her situation will be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    i can never see the moon in west clare SG. Too cloudy

Paw you.

On a serious note, you and M.T. were first out of the blocks with a weather warning on your site, that must be worth some good PR when this hits. Fair play.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,502 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Hmm have some travelling to do around Dublin this weekend. I wonder if I will be hindered by the weather . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

MetLuver wrote: »
    What a perfect time of year to go and do something like that. Doesn't make sense to me. I'm sorry to hear that, I hope herself, and others in her situation will be ok.
    the worst bit is, she only changed suppliers a few months ago because someone came round to her house and said they could save her money on her gas & electric and that they did a fixed price bundle for £65 a month, so she signed up for that thinking it would do her through the winter. robbing fcukers picking on vulnerable pensioners on the coldest winter for 50 years!:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

did a fixed price bundle for £65 a month, so she signed up for that thinking it would do her through the winter. robbing fcukers !:mad:

I could name that company, utter scum IMO, and it's not just the elderly, they cut you off too, a thing that Board Gás has promised the Irish Government they would not do.

These other vultures are nothing better than highwaymen, I've met them, they will also steal your account for other service if you are unwary enough to show them a utilities bill, next week you're signed up even though you had not.

I think we will be hearing a lot more about these 'legitimate' "cowboys" in the new year. It's been a news story here from time to time.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Finally gather more confidence for this. I don't see the fronts shifting at all in any of the charts. I'm still waiting til Wednesday to assess the significance of the falls :P

• Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

a note of caution: with these situations a shift in the postitioning could happen at just 24- 48 hours out, meaning it's curtains for those in the west, southwest and north west. so if your in these regions don't get too excited just yet. M.T. has hinted at the possibility in his recent forecasts.

edit: sorry i didn't read the posts above mine before posting . i didn't mean to repeat what has already been said:o

the worst bit is, she only changed suppliers a few months ago because someone came round to her house and said they could save her money on her gas & electric and that they did a fixed price bundle for £65 a month, so she signed up for that thinking it would do her through the winter. robbing fcukers picking on vulnerable pensioners on the coldest winter for 50 years!:mad:

They should be ashamed of themselves especially in this weather taking advantage of people that have no choice but to use their heating, but they don't care just once they get their money thats all that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

a note of caution: with these situations a shift in the postitioning could happen at just 24- 48 hours out, meaning it's curtains for those in the west, southwest and north west. so if your in these regions don't get too excited just yet. M.T. has hinted at the possibility in his recent forecasts.

edit: sorry i didn't read the posts above mine before posting . i didn't mean to repeat what has already been said:o

When you say southwest - does this include Cork City? We're more south right? It would be west cork you're referring to?

• Advertisement

gbee wrote: »

I think we will be hearing a lot more about these 'legitimate' "cowboys" in the new year. It's been a news story here from time to time.

It's sad to think these people are allowed to actually take advantage, get people to sign up to a contract under false pretenses and fiddle around in any other way and it's.....legitimate? And the likes of us little people can end up in prison because we didn't pay our tv license. Go figure..

leahyl wrote: »
    When you say southwest - does this include Cork City? We're more south right? It would be west cork you're referring to?

if it's as potent a northerly, as currently indicated it will be, then i think even Cork city has fair chance of some snow before Saturday. however there is the very real danger the potency of the northerly is downgraded in the next two days.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Takca

i spoke to her last night and she told me that they had put up her gas & electric bill from £65 per month to £95 and they sent her a letter to say its going up to £120 per month in January. she then went on to say that she turned down the heating to try and save money and had started using a couple of blankets and hot water bottle in the evenings to keep her warm. :mad:

If nobody mentioned yet, tell her not to freeze trying to save money by turning down the heating, sounds like it going to be the same cost no matter how much she uses.

sorry i didn't really answer your question first time around. Yes i would be thinking of west munster, but like i said in a intense northerly , features will likely pops up that could deliver to places that would usually have a snowshield in a northerly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Takca wrote: »
    If nobody mentioned yet, tell her not to freeze trying to save money by turning down the heating, sounds like it going to be the same cost no matter how much she uses.
    thanks, but i have no doubt they'll find a way of conning her out of even more money if they get even half a chance.

i've been trying to send her some money via western union all day but they're another bunch who make doing business next to impossible as well. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Id say most places will have seen snow by Friday evening.

On Thursday night a trough is expected to move South over the country and this should allow much greater penetration of snow showers down over the country.

A similar setup may also occur on Friday itself.

After that everywhere is at risk of either showers or significant snowfall - windward coasts always favoured. Over the weekend that is increasingly the East and also the South. All angles seem covered.

Friday night

UW120-21.GIF?13-06

Saturday night

UW144-21.GIF?13-06

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭danni2

Very exciting times ahead:D great forecast after the 1 news, she says a band of rain, sleet and snow moving south on thursday followed by very cold conditions with snow showers, most frequent in the north and northwest. http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1086913

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

Irish Weather Online:)

Wolfe
    PR Department :p

Apologies WolfeIRE, my mistake it was Irish Weather Online that was mentioned not IWN.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭davehey79

Finally gather more confidence for this. I don't see the fronts shifting at all in any of the charts. I'm still waiting til Wednesday to assess the significance of the falls :P

Cherryghost do ya think Longford might get some significant snowfall this time round?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

yeah mean we might get more on top of the metres of the stuff on the hills here already?
    God help us if the winds go Easterly if thats what a nw brings...

Relax though folks all those charts while they look yummy have been basically been binned by the US weather department as the gfs midnight run was cack according to them.

The chart is from the 06z run, not the 0z.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

danni2 wrote: »
    Very exciting times ahead:D great forecast after the 1 news, she says a band of rain, sleet and snow moving south on thursday followed by very cold conditions with snow showers, most frequent in the north and northwest. http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1086913

that forecast was quite the boring... i suppose its not like them to be LETTING THE PUBLIC know whats on its way !
    Whens Gerry's next forecast? , he mite stutter something out! haha :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

As a good rule of thumb, when there's snow in the east, Cork City is in the west. When there's snow in the west, we are too far east. When there's snow in the north....well that one's obvious. Best of all, when there's snow in the south, like two weeks ago, we are too far north despite being, in my case, about 10 miles from the south coast, or only a mile inland if you count the harbour!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

UKMO Fax chart

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

davehey79 wrote: »
    Cherryghost do ya think Longford might get some significant snowfall this time round?

Definitely. Longford's included in the firing line this time around :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

UKMO Fax chart

This is the latest one for Thursday...it can get confusing with the updates.

fax84s.gif

Sub 528DAM (nearly sub 510DAM in the North!) over most of the country. Snow showers pumping down from the North.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

the 2 charts above look very ominous. think its time to stock up for a bit of christmas hibernation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭danni2

Iancar29 wrote: »
    that forecast was quite the boring... i suppose its not like them to be LETTING THE PUBLIC know whats on its way !
    Whens Gerry's next forecast? , he mite stutter something out! haha :D
    Yeah I'm not saying it was brilliant, but i'm glad she mentioned snow as the last few forecast they only mentioned wintry showers, Im not sure when his next forecast is but he usually be on after the 6.1, 9 news;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 wonger

Hey all

Am getting really worried now and reading these boards isnt helping. Im a single mother and have to drive to Belfast on Friday (from Dublin 24) to collect the santa presents from my boyfriends house. I left them there weeks ago, not expecting this weather. My original plan was to drive up on Friday evening and return Sunday evening and now I don't know what to do. I have no other way of getting the santa presents and am beginning to feel sick with worry as cant afford to replace the toys... What should i do ? Should i try and leave earlier on Friday and hope for the best (need to arrange sitters etc)....

Please advice me and save xmas for my kids ....... :(:(:(

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

There's been mention of 62/3 in some of the posts. I wasn't in Ireland then, and I was a LOT younger, but from memory, it snowed in Devon on St Stephen's Day, about 10-15 Cms, even close to the coast at sea level, and then froze. It stuck, without any significant additions to what was on the ground until March.

I've also seen scenarios (75) where a front came in off the Atlantic, and dumped 600 mm of snow overnight on Somerset (elevation 100m), and then got stalled at about Salisbury, and then got pushed back by the high and added another 600 mm to what we'd had the day before, making my car invisible, and one of the house doors in a corner that took drifting ended up completely below snow level.

The one redeeming feature of 75 was that it only lasted for about a week.

If the cold spell that MT is seeing as possible does happen, and stays that way for any length of time, there will be "consequences". ;)

One of the nicer ones could be the absence of massive numbers of election posters on all the posts, and an absence of people canvassing on the doorsteps .:D:D

We might have cause to thank John Gormley yet. Maybe he got advance warning of the forthcoming conditions from ME and decided he could save his party a lot of money .:p

Steve

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

As a good rule of thumb, when there's snow in the east, Cork City is in the west. When there's snow in the west, we are too far east. When there's snow in the north....well that one's obvious. Best of all, when there's snow in the south, like two weeks ago, we are too far north despite being, in my case, about 10 miles from the south coast, or only a mile inland if you count the harbour!

Agreed watched it disappear as it hit Cobh:(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement