Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Severe weather: Snow and Ice and sub zero temperatures from Thursday

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

First model of the afternoon is out.

gme-1-84.png?12

:pac: cough, lol! Sub -16C at between 1,300m and 1,500m = about -10C at ground level during the day....it should'nt be quite that dramatic so don't worry;)

Anyway this model which is not up there in terms of reliabilty has everything slightly further west then the others.

gme-0-108.png?12

Still a snowfest for most though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

if the toys aren't too bulky you could get the train from Connolly and then a taxi home from the station. Otherwise maybe you could go up tomorrow night or Wednesday nighton the sly. It's only a four hour roundtrip. Good luck either way, I'm sure it'll work out for you.
    wonger wrote: »
    Hey all

Am getting really worried now and reading these boards isnt helping. Im a single mother and have to drive to Belfast on Friday (from Dublin 24) to collect the santa presents from my boyfriends house. I left them there weeks ago, not expecting this weather. My original plan was to drive up on Friday evening and return Sunday evening and now I don't know what to do. I have no other way of getting the santa presents and am beginning to feel sick with worry as cant afford to replace the toys... What should i do ? Should i try and leave earlier on Friday and hope for the best (need to arrange sitters etc)....

Please advice me and save xmas for my kids ....... :(:(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Any chance to have thread locked between 8pm and 9.45 this evening?
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

getting married new years eve in kilkenny but guests need to travel from Dublin on M9 Motorway.

Will there be snow in Dublin or South East for the 30th onwards???????????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

Will this rain, sleet, snow, be pushing up the country from the south Thursday or coming down south? Reason I ask is trying to figure out if my Gf will get home the weekend from Cork city to Tralee Co Kerry so thinking of heading to her if roads will be bad the weekend?

/end of weather noobs question:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Vain wrote: »
    Will this rain, sleet, snow, be pushing up the country from the south Thursday or coming down south? Reason I ask is trying to figure out if my Gf will get home the weekend from Cork city to Tralee Co Kerry so thinking of heading to her if roads will be bad the weekend?

It's coming from North to South but there should not be too many disruptive issues on Thursday. You will be grand. Thursday night would be more dodgy alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭jon burrows

Pushing down towards the south from the north..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

The cold front is coming down from the north on thursday lad. The cork/kerry road should be fine but caution is needed around the county bounds due to its height, Could get alot of snow here while it would be raining in killarney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭davehey79

Definitely. Longford's included in the firing line this time around :D

:) Fingers crossed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Pangea wrote: »
    Any chance to have thread locked between 8pm and 9.45 this evening?
    :pac:

And for what silly reason would this be for? haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

darkman2 wrote: »
    First model of the afternoon is out.

gme-1-84.png?12

:pac: cough, lol! Sub -16C at between 1,300m and 1,500m = about -10C at ground level during the day....it should'nt be quite that dramatic so don't worry;)

That model is bonkers, -10C at ground level during the day would surely bring the country to a stand still.
    If it was to happen, would we be be able to handle to kind of low temp??

skipz wrote: »
    That model is bonkers, -10C at ground level during the day would surely bring the country to a stand still.

Im in oz at the moment and I often say that the Irish are not designed for this kind of heat! -10 would be some shock to the system. Add to that the windchill factor and you are looking at what, -12/13C in exposed parts and -17ish C windchill on hilltops? madness i tell you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Iancar29 wrote: »
    And for what silly reason would this be for? haha
    Only Arsenal or Man united fans would appreciate my post :pac: :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

wonger wrote: »
    Hey all

Am getting really worried now and reading these boards isnt helping. Im a single mother and have to drive to Belfast on Friday (from Dublin 24) to collect the santa presents from my boyfriends house. I left them there weeks ago, not expecting this weather. My original plan was to drive up on Friday evening and return Sunday evening and now I don't know what to do. I have no other way of getting the santa presents and am beginning to feel sick with worry as cant afford to replace the toys... What should i do ? Should i try and leave earlier on Friday and hope for the best (need to arrange sitters etc)....

Please advice me and save xmas for my kids ....... :(:(:(

How about courier? Fastway or Nightline would be able to courier them down for the price of the drive and inconvenience, depending on what they are. Get them down ASAP.

Galway avoided the snow last time, just bad ice in the city. They are mentioning the northwest now but is it likely the atlantic coasts will be spared snow again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

I knew this was gonna happen... significant other has to go to UK filming for few days - not not impressed.......... me & all the kids trying to run 1 business here while he gets stuck in UK christmas week.....

think ill go to smyths tonight & be done with it !

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭jon burrows

This could be they way we find our cars over the weekend :D

Pangea wrote: »
    Only Arsenal or Man united fans would appreciate my post :pac: :P

YAWN..... :p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Can a separate thread be created for people who to want to ask " will it snow in bla bla bla on the 27th of December at 3pm as i'm taking the dog for a walk" type questions as they are getting more and more annoying. The one asking will it snow on the 30th just took the biscuit. Rant over, feel a lot better now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

skipz wrote: »
    i have a feeling penneys is going to be sold out of thermal underwear pretty soon! :pac:

my best advise is for anyone that can do to get set up so they can work at home and stock up on hot food, heating stuff (logs briquettes or whatever) if you have an open fire and ensure you have well insulated doors & windows and make sure any elderly relatives or neighbours are well prepared as well. not forgetting to make sure room is made for pets indoors as there's been tales of dogs etc. getting left outside in kennels and freezing to death. farmers wouldn't leave farm animals out in this so there's no reason for anyone with domestic animals to think they can leave theirs outside unattended either. :(

if it does actually turn out as bad as predicted then the best way forward is for everyone needs to band together and look after each other. stay in if you're able, or if you're not be prepared in the car, more so in the country than cities, but you get the idea:
    • keep some extra layers of clothing in the back just in case
    • make sure you have a tow rope & jump leads
    • keep some food in the car
    • keep plenty of fuel in the tank in case you get stuck somewhere and need to leave the engine running to keep warm
    • think about some grit or cat litter for the boot in case you're stuck on ice
    • always keep your mobile phone with you, in-credit and charged up
    • don't eat yellow snow
    thats all i can think of for now, but i'm sure there's more. :)

Can a separate thread be created for people who to want to ask " will it snow in bla bla bla on the 27th of December at 3pm as i'm taking the dog for a walk" type questions as they are getting more and more annoying. The one asking will it snow on the 30th just took the biscuit. Rant over, feel a lot better now :)

+1. There was a chart thread and a discussion thread for the last cold spell. The chart thread was a mess though, with people asking the above question and complaining about the snow.... I know the thread could not be properly moderated due to the huge volume of posts but maybe something else can be tried for this weekend?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

Wibbler wrote: »
    I bet there will be a lot of this later in the week:

http://xkcd.com/831/

funny....:pac:

vibe666 wrote: »
    i have a feeling penneys is going to be sold out of thermal underwear pretty soon! :pac:

my best advise is for anyone that can do to get set up so they can work at home and stock up on hot food, heating stuff (logs briquettes or whatever) if you have an open fire and ensure you have well insulated doors & windows and make sure any elderly relatives or neighbours are well prepared as well. not forgetting to make sure room is made for pets indoors as there's been tales of dogs etc. getting left outside in kennels and freezing to death. farmers wouldn't leave farm animals out in this so there's no reason for anyone with domestic animals to think they can leave theirs outside unattended either. :(

if it does actually turn out as bad as predicted then the best way forward is for everyone needs to band together and look after each other. stay in if you're able, or if you're not be prepared in the car.
    :)

I agree... In work at the weekend ( tescos) and seen at least 4 pallets of briquettes out the back... some1 in head office must be looking at boards ha.
    So ye, most of the Tesco extras like ours should be the same, they are selling off nice and cheap :)
    NOT advertising here... just as a pointer :) I only work part-time there, im not mad manager trying to reel in the sales or anything haha

this is getting out of control.
    we will probably get a bit of snow here and there and will be gone in a few days.
    dont get me wrong i like the snow aswell but its just childish whts gion on in here now.
    dont forget christmas on ice in the 02 if we dont get any snow:D

Timistry wrote: »
    +1. There was a chart thread and a discussion thread for the last cold spell. The chart thread was a mess though, with people asking the above question and complaining about the snow.... I know the thread could not be properly moderated due to the huge volume of posts but maybe something else can be tried for this weekend?

Calm down folks... in my view, the questions that have good reasons to be asked i think should be allowed and the rest.... ye eh , just ignore them ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

TURRICAN wrote: »
    we will probably get a bit of snow here and there and will be gone in a few days.

are you mad, have you not seen the warning about snowmageddon and last night the greenland express was on the way to, you heed what you read here or else you will regret it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭squonk

But the poinybis that nobody knows this far out and, in any event, snow can be so marginal and localised that it makes the odds even worse. We're just about being relaxant confident about the weather 4-5 days out right now, 2 weeks is FI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

Timistry wrote: »

Maybe there should be another thread where we can warn of snow in places. Like wolfeIRE & the guys are doing on the irish weather online website, eg warning snow next 15 minutes Mulingar-Athlone-Naas etc. Might put a stop to a lot of the "will it snow here" questions clogging up the thread. Just a suggestion.

dont get me wrong i like the snow aswell but its just childish whts gion on in here now.
    dont forget christmas on ice in the 02 if we dont get any snow:D

Maybe so in hindsight but if these charts come to pass we are looking at potentially a very serious event.

are you mad, have you not seen the warning about snowmageddon and last night the greenland express was on the way to, you heed what you read here or else you will regret it ;)

"gets one way ticket to africa"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭goodies

ok so from my steep learning curve (new words on this page this week...Fantasy Island) it looks like we are entering time of more certainty about this cold event on the way. I have Santa done alot of food that will last in the presses , candles, batteries in etc. I had travel plans to go to kerry from Dublin this weekend and just rang to let them know that we may not make it as bad weather on the way.

Anyway getting to my point have been trying to raise awareness about how bad this might be with people and I am surprised at reactions. What I want to know do any of ye get grief from loved ones about your interest in the weather? Or maybe are ye all secretly on here not telling anybody??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement