Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe weather: Snow and Ice and sub zero temperatures from Thursday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭Speak Now

12Z GFS rolling out but i can't get onto the site......that means it's either very very good or very very bad :D Could be both depending on you're wishes of course :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

leahyl wrote: »
    If this is a downgrade already i'm very suprised - all the experts on here seem to still be going with the severe weather idea but met eireann now saying that it'll just be the north/northwest??

Who's right??!!:D We shall see....

Met Eireann aren;t going past Friday on their forecast at the moment, and they're pretty much in line with the experts here saying it'll be snow for the north/northwest at first. It's mainly over the weekend the rest of the country has their chance.

I wouldn;t bother reading any forecasts from breakingnews.ie tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

12Z GFS rolling out but i can't get onto the site......that means it's either very very good or very very bad :D Could be both depending on you're wishes of course :pac:

yeah, wetterzentrale and netweather are choking under the pressure! I hope it's the very very good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Rougies wrote: »
    Met Eireann aren;t going past Friday on their forecast at the moment, and they're pretty much in line with the experts here saying it'll be snow for the north/northwest at first. It's mainly over the weekend the rest of the country has their chance.

I wouldn;t bother reading any forecasts from breakingnews.ie tbh!

breakingnews.ie? MEH! I'm staying right here with my experts!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Same problem here!!

Does anyone know whats up with the GFS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

In fairness to breakingnews.ie i think there is a typo in the article. Should have been north and west as opposed to north west

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Most (but not all) of the snow will be in the North and Northwest on Thursday and Friday. Extremely cold elsewhere with sharp frosts and ice. Into the weekend the snow focus changes more to the South and East. Staying very cold. That's it in a nutshell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

hotwhiskey wrote: »
    Same problem here!!

Does anyone know whats up with the GFS.

The GFS 12z run is out and it's very similar to the 6z but keeps the cold air over us alot longer.

Here

http://www.meteociel.com/modeles/gfse_cartes.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

the latest ecm is showing more widespread snow on thursday and friday with most if not all of the country at risk. Heaviest precip as DM said will be in north and W but I think everywhere will see some snow at least

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Paulj wrote: »
    Just ordered a pair of yaktrax and bought a shovel for the car. I really needed them last week! Where's a good place to buy some grit for the boot?

Your local quarry is best or failing that believe it or not ordinary ash from your fireplace is great stuff for grip on ice.Collect a few bags and keep them in the boot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭sean555

I think the problem maybe that the gfs control run is showing that polar vortex slightly further east and so may favour south east england more than heretofore. Hence all the Uk sites crashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

zerks wrote: »
    Your local quarry is best or failing that believe it or not ordinary ash from your fireplace is great stuff for grip on ice.Collect a few bags and keep them in the boot.

Hot or cold??? :D:D:D:D ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Bottom line, if Dublin is not going to see heavy snow then it's to hell or to (in this case) Connaught for the rest of the country.

This is why the media will not report on this being more than a 'normal' wintry outbreak

Id take a week of heavy snowfall with no media coverage very nicely, better than headlines every day of past weeks showiing the east with snowmaggadons :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I think some people are getting carried away, this is still too far out to call. Cold is coming thats for sure and looks likely the North and West will see snow on Thursday after that and we are guessing really.

That does not mean that we won't see a big snow storm or serious amounts of snow but people need to realise this can all change very quickly as we get near to the event.

It can of course upgrade but many of us here will know how things can downgrade or be on the wrong side of marginal. Lets keep watching but not get carried away and scare people for something that may or may not happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

The Eagle was on the radio about two hours ago (i102 I think?), anyone else hear him?

He said there wouldn't be as much disruption this time because there wouldn't be much snow in the East. :rolleyes:

Anyway, he down played it saying that these type of fronts from the North don't bring much snow to the East and wouldn't much elsewhere except for some for Donegal and the North West. He basically said the East, South East and South would get none.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭ciaranm

Who is this Eagle fella?

Is he often right?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

snow ghost wrote: »
    The Eagle was on the radio about two hours ago (i102 I think?), anyone else hear him?

He said there wouldn't be as much disruption this time because there wouldn't be much snow in the East. :rolleyes:

Anyway, he down played it saying that these type of fronts from the North don't bring much snow to the East and wouldn't much elsewhere except for some for Donegal and the North West. He basically said the East, South East and South would get none.
    As far ahead as the Eagle would have been looking that could very much be true. I don't see how anyone could argue with him when looking as far as Friday which is even a stretch for reliable time frame.

How do you think the Eagle was wrong, or are you talking about after Friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Less of this please!... its too soon to making all my hopes just fly out the window ! :(

ciaranm wrote: »
    Who is this Eagle fella?

Is he often right?

Some1 aint a true weather entusiast ha....

John Eagleton, he works for Met Eireann.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭ciaranm

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Some1 aint a true weather entusiast ha....

John Eagleton, he works for Met Eireann.

Rumbled.

I like a good disaster is all.

• Advertisement

The cold looks to be lasting a few days at least :)ukmintemp.png

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Iancar29 wrote: »
    The cold looks to be lasting a few days at least :)

That's of course unless you live in north Dublin. ;) Look at the little area of +2c temp biting into north Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

Going to be a lot of mummies and daddies out late on the 24th making hoof prints in their gardens........or even on their roofs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

well I gotta feeling that fridays gonna be a good day,that fridays gonna be a good day,pay day/& a visit from jack frost yummy............

DOCARCH wrote: »
    That's of course unless you live in north Dublin. ;) Look at the little area of +2c temp biting into north Dublin.

SHH!.... im moving north dublin 20 miles to the west... there its -2! ...:p

Villain wrote: »
    As far ahead as the Eagle would have been looking that could very much be true. I don't see how anyone could argue with him when looking as far as Friday which is even a stretch for reliable time frame.

How do you think the Eagle was wrong, or are you talking about after Friday?

I didn't say the Eagle was wrong Villain, he should know more than me times a few billion. I did cock my eyes in the air about his statement that disruption wouldn't be as bad because it wouldn't affect the East - living in the West that annoyed me as it seemed a Pale-centric view, and I expected a bit better of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭mvron

Impending cold weather number 1 item on 5.30 TV3 news

• Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

so it doesn't count if we get 4- 6 inches :p i think it's reasonable to say much of connacht and ulster should expect accumulations in this range- assuming there is no major downgrade between now and Wednesday evening. although he is right we're better at handling a bit of snow than city folk. so there won't be that much disruption:p

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

mvron wrote: »
    Impending cold weather number 1 item on 5.30 TV3 news

Oh oh - that's the death knell!!! Remember the 'hurricane'?

• Advertisement

If anyone is interested in hearing the Eagle's take on the matter, I suspect it was a syndicated piece to the independent radio stations - as I noticed someone else here mentioned hearing him - so it may well be on your local radio station after their hourly news.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement