Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe weather: Snow and Ice and sub zero temperatures from Thursday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

...they already think I'm a bit of a nutter as it is, this would have confirmed it beyond all reasonable doubt.

Its alright, we know that you're not a nutter... well, no more nuts that most of us who hang out here anyways :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Just watched RTE weather - "in the mix", "in the mix","in the mix", "in the mix","in the mix", "in the mix","in the mix", "in the mix".....

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bmarley

Bring it on...just make sure to be stocked up on oil, beverages..and well stocked cupboards and fridges..and we may even get a few snow days off work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

Anyone know what companies import and sell grit and salt ?
    I think I might invest in them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

darkman2 wrote: »
    Just watched RTE weather - "in the mix", "in the mix","in the mix", "in the mix","in the mix", "in the mix","in the mix", "in the mix".....

Man... i was gonna post the exact same thing!....

I was looking forward to seeing an Evelyn forescast! :(

But still... its not a bad forecast... well for 2nite it is, coz i wont be able to view the meteor shower :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 4diarmuid

"Temperatures as low as -9 or -10 locally. -4 to -8C more generally." As an unitiated individual on weather matters, what exactly does "locally" mean? I know my locality but the first post shows the above. What "locally" was being referred to?

I would appreciate a word from the wise!!!

Regards

From now on she shall be known as Siobhan "in the mix" Ryan..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭mojopolo

I've been watching BBC weather and they are starting to be more forceful in their warning. The metoffice released this today as well:

"The public are advised to stay up to date with the very latest weather forecasts and warnings on our website, radio and TV and should take measures to ensure that they are prepared for severe weather."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,514 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I think this is a sign for you, over on Net-weather in their model discussion, one poster (who I think has a reasonable grasp on model analysis) says that "by the weekend there will be a snowfest in southern Ireland, it would be great if we could get that over here (meaning England) too." In other words, he's not hopecasting, he's accepting that you're in the right place for snow according to the model output. Mind you, I think he's going to get his share too, this looks like a set-up for widespread snow.

No need to jump the gun, but people with travel plans might want to consider their "plan B" because this looks like becoming disruptive across parts of both Ireland and the U.K. Just on balance of probabilities, Sunday to Tuesday would be most disrupted. I'm glad to hear about people getting their shopping and other preparations done in this calm and mild(ish) spell. I think you'll be glad you did.

Perversely, it is like a spring day outside here, hazy sunshine and 11 C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Severe weather one week before Christmas, surely they should issue a weather warning by now?

They didnt mention snow once in that forecast, rain sleet and possibly wintry showers was all she said so it doesnt exactly get across the message that there could be severe disruption on what is probably the busiest travel weekend of the year

• Advertisement

4diarmuid wrote: »
    "Temperatures as low as -9 or -10 locally. -4 to -8C more generally." As an unitiated individual on weather matters, what exactly does "locally" mean? I know my locality but the first post shows the above. What "locally" was being referred to?

I would appreciate a word from the wise!!!

Regards

Recording equipment never records the actual lowest temperature in the country. By locally it means say your street and up the road from you is a thermometer recording the temperature. That thermometer will record a temperature but your street could have a lower temperature very locally that is not recorded. See what I mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

mojopolo wrote: »
    I've been watching BBC weather and they are starting to be more forceful in their warning. The metoffice released this today as well:

"The public are advised to stay up to date with the very latest weather forecasts and warnings on our website, radio and TV and should take measures to ensure that they are prepared for severe weather."

Its sensible giving that warning, The whole country will have to be under a foot of snow before we get a warning like that:D but im sure they will Issue one mid week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

i want a weather station for this event is the wh1090 the one to go for?

thanks MT for the forcast and explinations

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Just watched RTE weather - "in the mix", "in the mix",gulp"in the mix", "in the mix",inhale"in the mix",Gulp "in the mix","in the mix",inhale "in the mix"gulp.....

Fixed your post for you. :D

From now on she shall be known as Siobhan "in the mix" Ryan..;)

She must be related to someone in RTE. Have found her not to be great at giving a forecast ever
    What was the name of the guy who did them in the eighties? remember when they had to stick up the clouds and all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Harps wrote: »
    Severe weather one week before Christmas, surely they should issue a weather warning by now?

They didnt mention snow once in that forecast, rain sleet and possibly wintry showers was all she said so it doesnt exactly get across the message that there could be severe disruption on what is probably the busiest travel weekend of the year

This is what's on ME's warning page:

"There are no warnings currently in effect"

Me thinks they may have cleared it out to make space in preperation for a major one soon (well tomorrow maybe). ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

SWEET JESUS! I need to lie down!

The Met Office (UK) has issued a Weather Warning

Snow showers will become increasingly frequent and heavy through Thursday with accumulations of 5 to 10 cm in general, but locally 20 cm by midday Friday. Snow will be accompanied by strong northerly winds leading to some drifting.
    This is expected to cause disruption to travel networks.
    Issued at: 1157 Mon 13 Dec

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

i've gone to accu weather and the weather channel, i trust you guys with your predictions, but the both sites are saying 40% of snow in cork over the weekend:eek:

bring it on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Patience... Patience ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

Wow wow,if this fails it will be epic lol,which I hope it doesn't,bring on the snow drifting...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Mr Tim Buktoo

will east clare get some of the white stuff?
    il go fupping mad if we are the only area not to get it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

If you go back a few pages you will find out or met.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

Calibos wrote: »
    Fixed your post for you. :D

Indeed. But I do feel Jean is a bigger gulper than Siobhan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Watched the BBC weather this evening and I quote her "The Floodgates Will Open" as bitterly cold weather sweeps in from the North plunging down the temp and bringing lots of snow so she issued a weather warning for the UK and Northern Ireland, the chart showed snow all over Ireland with -8 temps. Then watched RTE Weather what f....ng planet are they on.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 4diarmuid

My thanks to Darkman2 for the explanation of the common meteorological term "locally". I almost understand it! No, only joking!!!

I think I am better off not viewing this thread again with the dire warnings for the coming week! After all my 67 years of living in Ireland with a brief few years in the Netherlands I cannot recall such severe weather this early. In fact, my anecdotal experience is a brief cold snap in November to warn us of the coming winter then a relatively mild December (except last year!) then the real winter in January and February.

What the hell is going on and to whom do I speak about this?

Thanks everyone for the heads up !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Watched the BBC weather this evening and I quote her "The Floodgates Will Open" as bitterly cold weather sweeps in from the North plunging down the temp and bringing lots of snow so she issued a weather warning for the UK and Northern Ireland, the chart showed snow all over Ireland with -8 temps. Then watched RTE Weather what f....ng planet are they on.

I just cannot understand the difference in forecasting between BBC and MET eireann! Not even a warning from met eireann like! Weird... Maybe it's just too early for them yet - just being cautious perhaps? It's not set in stone yet like is it? I mean it sounds great and all but...I don't know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭De Dannan

The Met Office (UK) has issued a Weather Warning

Snow showers will become increasingly frequent and heavy through Thursday with accumulations of 5 to 10 cm in general, but locally 20 cm by midday Friday. Snow will be accompanied by strong northerly winds leading to some drifting.
    This is expected to cause disruption to travel networks.
    Issued at: 1157 Mon 13 Dec

WOW :eek::eek:
    I hope ME will issue a similar warning soon if its the same for us

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement