Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching dog to stay.

• 13-12-2010 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭

Right, we have "Sit", "Paw" and he kind of gets"into bed". "Stay" has my lad flumoxed. It's cute in a weird way. When I give him the command to Stay, he will give me the paw..or sit and give me the paw at the same time.

Or he just wont stay and will just trot over to me regardless of what I say. He just does not seem to get it. Does anyone have any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Start by getting him to sit, take a step backwards then click if you're using a clicker, go back to him and give him a treat and lots of praise.. once you can take a few steps back pause for a few seconds (say increase by 5 seconds each time) before going back to him.. Once he's happy to sit waiting for you add the cue/word each time you step away. The key is to build it up SLOWLY and don't tell him to stay from the beginning because he's not going to associate the cue with the behaviour - wait until he's grasped that he needs to wait for you to come back with the treat/praise before adding the cue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭murria

We did it using verbal and visual signs with a reward (food) for getting it right and he mastered it in a few minutes.

Start off with the reward in your closed right fist. Tell him to sit, hold the fist with the treat above his head, hold out your left hand like a halt sign and say "Stay". Take just one step back and tell him to come. Give him lots of praise and the treat. Repeat once or twice and then start to take more steps backwards. We were amazed how quickly he copped on and he was really proud of himself for getting it right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I taught mine to stay (well, we use 'wait') by sending them to bed then saying "Wait" and holding my hand up building up the distance and time each time. If they didn't wait then I'd send them back to bed and start all over again. They soon learned that waiting gets them their treat sooner.

Now we're at the stage where I can send them to bed, tell them to wait, go to the kitchen, open the fridge to get some ham, and they'll still be in bed when I get back. I'm so proud of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭DeadlyByDesign

Thanks for the advice guys. It's all about the patience and in fairnes, He is trying as I can see hom try to process the information and the command. It has been a week, so baby steps and all that.

Hi first real case of the "Zoomies" came yesterday, the flower pot got it bad and I am pretty sure the cats are now permanently traumatised!

Advertisement