Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Panic

• 13-12-2010 11:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or is half the country now panicing and considering going out and buying 4x4's to cope with a couple of weeks worth of snow, I got everywhere I needed to go with a BMW 335d that had a set of Vredestein Wintracs on the rear, was even going up hills that some soft roaders couldnt tackle. Ive driven in Switzerland, Italy, Germany, Poland and Sweden in winter snow, and 4x4's are not generally used, 90% of people bang on a set of winter tyres and just drive on.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Yep, full on panic mode :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,677 ✭✭✭✭fits

I'd get winter tyres before Id get a 4x4.

Although ideally one would have both in an allroad or a forester or something like that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Wednesday last week I was on a certain road with level compacted snow and motored fine. Friday morning the road was the same according to a local. However a few thawing hours later the same road was 10" deep in slush and well-rutted. With that and the churning up from snow chains it was like driving in deep mud.
    Point is that while winter tyres +/- 4WD are, no-doubt, great there are times where ground clearance will be necessary too. In Europe I doubt the snow would be left accumulate so much that when the thaw arrived there would be that much slush to have to cope with.

snowrutsanddepth600x800.jpg

deepsnowruts600x800.jpg

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭KoNiT

Yep, full on panic mode
    :D

Only thing that's stopping me setting off the red alert is I'd have to change the bulb ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭tudlytops

Not sure what would be the point, there were enough 4X4 up here that didn't make it up either.

Just getting one isn't enough you have to get the right one and know how to drive it and even then snow and ice is not quite the some as off road and that's what they were built for off road driving.

I was being ironic! :rolleyes:

Very true though, knowing how to drive in the conditions (and actually knowing what all the settings are for in modern 4x4s) makes a big difference, most ordinary cars in the sticks round here got around OK last week. 4x4 may keep you moving but can get you deeper into trouble and on ice you still need to steer and stop.

Looks like next few days could be interesting anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭tudlytops

101sean wrote: »
    I was being ironic! :rolleyes:

Very true though, knowing how to drive in the conditions (and actually knowing what all the settings are for in modern 4x4s) makes a big difference, most ordinary cars in the sticks round here got around OK last week. 4x4 may keep you moving but can get you deeper into trouble and on ice you still need to steer and stop.

Looks like next few days could be interesting anyway.

Mind you, try doing it with a LWB ford transit, its funnnnnn!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭jeawan

A few are panicking but tbh every year were i live we get some sort of snow or another . i have a 4x4 always have had and have no problems with snow . wife is different as she has a car which is just useless in the snow she has being snow for near 3 weeks now i have never driven a car with so bad traction . so we trading it in and getting her a small 4x4 as it easier to do t he farm and kids this way considering i have to go to work every day too. mind you we do live above 1000 feet ;) and normally get 1-2feet of snow every year due to drifting .

But i think if the council go there ass in gear and also if people maybe put winter tires on there cars the country would be fine we just need to get used to this weather instead of panicking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

Is it just me or is half the country now panicing and considering going out and buying 4x4's to cope with a couple of weeks worth of snow, I got everywhere I needed to go with a BMW 335d that had a set of Vredestein Wintracs on the rear, was even going up hills that some soft roaders couldnt tackle. Ive driven in Switzerland, Italy, Germany, Poland and Sweden in winter snow, and 4x4's are not generally used, 90% of people bang on a set of winter tyres and just drive on.

there a big difference between europ and how they have the gear and supplies too make less problems,but here,we had too wait for a warm up for the ice and snow too go,i had too get post at psot office as postman couldnt get near us,only traffic on our road was 4x4's and vans,had too get few cars out of ditches, and looks like we getting another wave of cold weather and seems gritting stocks are low

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭KoNiT

Only thing that's stopping me setting off the red alert is I'd have to change the bulb

you need a stool to reach that lamp ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

I think a lot of people who have never driven 4x4s have serious misconceptions about them. They seem to think that they have almost mythical powers that allow them to grip on any surface. Like the OP I drive a BMW with winter tyres. The grip is amazing compared to summer tyres and in fact I would prefer to drive a RWD to a FWD in these conditions. OK a 4WD would be better but I am not prepared to pay the bills that can go along with ownership of a 4x4 for the sake of a week or 2 of snow each year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

its down too knowing how too drive and also helps if what your driving has goos tyres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭jeawan

its down too knowing how too drive and also helps if what your driving has goos tyres

This is true i had a 205 that used to be great in the snow most people just don't know how to handle the snow or ice.

you need a stool to reach that lamp ??

Yes, but then it becomes working at height and I can't be bothered to do a risk assesment and method statement ;)

I'll just do what everyone else does, run around like a headless chicken and blame the government. :D

Only a dusting of snow here it Tipp yet anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

101sean wrote: »
    Yep, full on panic mode :D
    True. :DI drive a Vito 110CDI, gets me around alright, I did put new front tyres on though. Having said that, I'm looking for a swb jeep, always wanted one anyway and the snow and ice is a good excuse.:D Also I'm in the sticks and the 'roads' around here are worse than sh!te, can't see them getting better in the near future either what with the lack of money and all.
    Ya gotta laugh having to get the 'certificate of roadworthiness', when it's the roads that are defo not worthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

The van was getting around but struggling slightly.

Lobbed a few bags of coal in the back and made my own snow ropes :D They make a difference. Could do with thicker rope I think

snow_rope.gif

Advertisement