Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Customs can hold package over 24 hrs??

Options
  • 13-12-2010 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

I dont know if this is a right place to ask
    I have ordered some cheap gadgets from Hong Kong with DHL Express
    Customs is holding the item for inspection
    DHL said last week it shouldnt be more than 24 hrs (it was last week)
    Today DHL said that customs can hold items back for ages if they want:eek:
    So do you have any idea what is the truth about customs?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Customs can hold them for over 24hrs, and if they had a concern, (e.g. if it was a green laser) it could be sent to gardai for inspection.
    If that were the case, it could be months, if not longer, before you got it (if at all).

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Piri

It is a mobile phone

Piri wrote: »
    It is a mobile phone

Then I would guess that its just caught in a backlog and you should have it soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Why would a green laser be of such concern?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Piri

Still with customs
    package here from Friday
    Nothing happened since
    Contacted DHL and they said totally different info every day...

avoid to ship with them

• Advertisement

blastman wrote: »
    Why would a green laser be of such concern?

Because they are illlegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

mcgovern wrote: »
    Because they are illlegal.

All green lasers are illegal? When did this come in?
    Could you post a link that gives info on the legislation?

tuxy wrote: »
    All green lasers are illegal? When did this come in?
    Could you post a link that gives info on the legislation?

As far as I'm aware, the least powerful green laser you can get, exceeds the maximum power allowed here.

This is what is allowed:
    - lasers of less than 5 milli Watts
    - in the light frequencies of 630 to 680nm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

I had some car parts stuck in customs for over a week before.

As far as I'm aware, the least powerful green laser you can get, exceeds the maximum power allowed here.

Where did you get that info? I would be interested in reading up on it.

• Advertisement

Where did you get that info? I would be interested in reading up on it.

There are certain parts of boards where you can't talk about them, as they are illegal. That's where I got my info from ;)

There are certain parts of boards where you can't talk about them, as they are illegal. That's where I got my info from ;)

I see, so they are only illegal on secret forums on boards. Why would that have any effect on what customs? If they are illegal there will be legislation to cover it or do you just believe everything you read on the net?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

This is what is allowed:
    so you can't import one of these then? :D

http://www.wickedlasers.com/lasers/Spyder_III_Pro_Arctic_Series-96-37.html

vibe666 wrote: »

I can't see any reason why you could not import that. If mcgovern was to be believed all bluray players are illegal in this country.

I can't see any reason why you could not import that. If mcgovern was to be believed all bluray players are illegal in this country.
    cool! :cool:

also, back on topic a little bit. i've had packages i was expecting delayed by customs, but it's easy enough to jump the queue if you call them and arrange to email them a copy of your ebay (or whichever) receipt to save them time in calculating the import fees.

can't remember exactly how it went, but it was basically me calling and asking why it was being held at customs (after calling DHL to ask about the delay) and then calling customs and arranging with them to scan and email on my ebay receipt to them to speed things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Bob_the_dog

Not to put a downer on ya, it all depends on who in customs you get. I had a package in work which was held for 35days.

The customs officer who put a hold on it went on long term sick and no other customs official would make a decision. Finally after going to the very top in courier company about it, he ended up making a call to someone high up in customs to get it cleared. I bring in 100+ packages a day into the country and its really the luck of the draw if something gets stopped.

Be happy we not in China, there customs procedures are a million times worse than ours:D

I see, so they are only illegal on secret forums on boards. Why would that have any effect on what customs? If they are illegal there will be legislation to cover it or do you just believe everything you read on the net?

I'm not sure what the Irish legislation is, and I'm not going to search for it.
    However, it is illegal to have a laser pointer >5MW in US, UK, Canada and Australia, amongst many others.
    Last time I checked, they had Blu-ray players in those countries so I'm not sure what your point (or problem) is.
    Here is some EU legislation on it. Please go be snarky somewhere else.

I'm not being snarky,you are giving out false information. Please stop, thanks.

from what i can see, as far as the law goes in the places mentioned, it is illegal to sell laser 'devices' over >5mW only if they are branded as laser pointers. regular lasers not designated as laser pointers are not subject to the same laws as otherwise blu-ray players and various medical and scientific research devices would also be illegal.

so from what i can see, you are both right, but for different reasons. or something. :)

so if it's >5mW as long as it's not sold as a 'laser pointer' you're grand. :)

so from what i can see, you are both right, but for different reasons. or something. :)][/B] if they are branded as laser pointers. regular lasers not designated as laser pointers are not subject to the same laws as otherwise blu-

so if it's >5mW as long as it's not sold as a 'laser pointer' you're grand. :)

What happened was mcgovern quoted laws from other countries claiming it was Irish law. He has now gone back on it admitting "I'm not sure what the Irish legislation is, and I'm not going to search for it."

So he says he made the effort to research the laws of other countries but will not do the same for Ireland. The reason for this is because it does not exist and I don't understand why someone would be so unwilling to admit this.

I have never seen any official documentation on regulation of lasers in Ireland and until I do I will continue to believe they are unregulated.

It's ok to make a mistake but why continue to back it up when you realise?
    Why spread false information?

• Advertisement

What happened was mcgovern quoted laws from other countries claiming it was Irish law. He has now gone back on it admitting "I'm not sure what the Irish legislation is, and I'm not going to search for it."

So he says he made the effort to research the laws of other countries but will not do the same for Ireland. The reason for this is because it does not exist and I don't understand why someone would be so unwilling to admit this.

I have never seen any official documentation on regulation of lasers in Ireland and until I do I will continue to believe they are unregulated.

It's ok to make a mistake but why continue to back it up when you realise?
    Why spread false information?

Show me where I quoted laws from other countries claiming it was Irish law?
    Last time I checked, we were part of the EU, and I linked to EU legislation (and it was clearly stated that it was EU legislation).
    If you want, go look on the airsoft forum, where you will find numerous posts concerning discussions with the DoJ about the legality of laser pointers.
    The reason I'm not "sure" about the Irish legislation is that different people have gotten different respones from the DoJ on what they are classified as, which would change which legislation they fall under. For example, some of the official replies have said that they are classified as firearm components.

Show me where I quoted laws from other countries claiming it was Irish law?
    Last time I checked, we were part of the EU, and I linked to EU legislation (and it was clearly stated that it was EU legislation).

Here

This is what is allowed:
    - lasers of less than 5 milli Watts
    - in the light frequencies of 630 to 680nm
    You either made these figures up or copied them from other countries laws.

The EU legislation you linked to only covers hazards in the work place. How is that relevant?

If something was designed to fit onto a gun then yes this may be covered under firearms legisation. But this is the first time you have talked about firearms

You have just gone from

- all green lasers are illegal to,
    - here's some guide lines on power output for Irish and EU law to
    - I don't know anything about Irish law on the matter to
    - if it fits on a gun it may be covered under firearms legislation.

Your last point may be correct but up until that you were talking ****e

Laser pointers are unregulated under Irish law please admit that I am right about this or point me to the legal documentation that covers it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

call me dumb but why would a person need one of these?and this is a genuine question im curious what people use them for?

crazygeryy wrote: »
    call me dumb but why would a person need one of these?and this is a genuine question im curious what people use them for?

Lasers are fun to play with once you use safety goggles I don't see anything wrong with that.

you could attach one to an ill tempered mutated sea bass so it would have a fricking laser beam on it's head! :pac:

or just use it to burn stuff and whatnot. :)

incidentally, I have a package from china that has been with them since the 13th and still hasn't been cleared. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Lasers are fun to play with once you use safety goggles I don't see anything wrong with that.

ok define fun to play with?
    pointing at things burning things pointing at more things.come on why would it be worth paying $299 for that?enlighten me

pointing at things burning things pointing at more things.come on why would it be worth paying $299 for that?enlighten me

Some light reading for you http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/laserexp.htm

Some people find lasers and the physics behind them fascinating. That blue laser that's linked to looks amazing in videos I have seen of it. I wish I could afford it.

lots of things baffle me, but i'm happy to let people get on with them. if you don't 'get' something then it's probably not for you.

there's a large amount of people on here who spend hundreds of quid on 'airsoft' guns and run around in fields pretending to shoot each other which i think is totally bizarre, but each to their own and leave them to whatever makes them happy.

now i'm off to find an ill tempered mutated sea bass. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

I got a green one back from holidays.. by feck it can light up the night sky lol.:D from the balcony on holidays I was able to point it a building half a mile away. Says on it max output >100mw wavelength 532nm +- 10.

Cant bun nothing with it though.. just tried it on my girlfriends new jacket (dont tell):cool:

• Advertisement

i got one of the really cheap old red ones years ago and you could still shine a (very faint) 2 storey red dot on the hotel across the other side of town when it was really dark. :)

Advertisement