Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on a Telescope

Options
  • 13-12-2010 12:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭

I would like to buy a telescope and a half decent one.I have a great view of the sky where I live and no light from the city so the stars are bright.Can anyone point me in the right direction.Could I get a good one for 150 or 200 euro?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

Looking for same...

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭peterako

Try this thread:

Would this be a good start?

Peter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

I would like to buy a telescope and a half decent one.I have a great view of the sky where I live and no light from the city so the stars are bright.Can anyone point me in the right direction.Could I get a good one for 150 or 200 euro?

The problem with telescopes in this price bracket is that images are sometimes not sharp and fall short of the buyer's expectations. A reasonable expectation would be observing planets like Jupiter, the image being reasonably clear and showing some colour. The image can appear just like a large white dot, with the moons visible as smaller white dots - no colour or bands showing.

I can only go on the reviews I'm reading at present, but it appears that the 'Skywatcher' brand is an improvement in the right direction as regards clearer resolution. One model within the mentioned price range is the Skywatcher Explorer 130 mm reflector which shows promising images of Jupiter on YouTube.

Advertisement