Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Smoked Salmon?

Options
  • 13-12-2010 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this has been done before but I'm interested in your opinions on where to get the best Smoked Salmon in Dublin? There are so many own brands in the SuperMarkets that are on the cheap - and I know good Wild Salmon is expensive. I want something that isn't going to taste of brine - and I'm willing to spend the right money for a better experience on Xmas day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Well I would firstly go for smoked Irish salmon, not Irish smoked salmon. There is a subtle difference in the name, but latter is not Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭donnacha

Thanks olaola - thats some very good advice.

Though is Irish the best? I know last year I picked up some Smoked Scottish Salmon in M&S and was impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭D1976

donnacha wrote: »
    Thanks olaola - thats some very good advice.

Though is Irish the best? I know last year I picked up some Smoked Scottish Salmon in M&S and was impressed.

I tried this yesterday and it is out of this world the taste is absolutely gorgeous.

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/product_range/special_buys4_14457.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

olaola wrote: »
    Well I would firstly go for smoked Irish salmon, not Irish smoked salmon. There is a subtle difference in the name, but latter is not Irish.

thanks I didn't know!

thanks I didn't know!

Cheeky, isn't it!!!

Superquinn (if you have one near) have a good range. M&S also do good smoked salmon. I always buy Irish myself.

• Advertisement

I bought that Aldi range last night and thought it was good - but it didn't blow me away. They also only sell it in small packs which doesn't really add up as I need to serve up for 30 guests. Any other recommendations?

Hey, I just see on the facebuke, that M&S have salmon for 1/2 price this week. Might be worth checking out. Not sure what exactly is in the sale though!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/MarksandSpencerIreland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

When interviewed, various food writers and cooks refer to this fellow:

http://www.frankhederman.com/

You'll see he was mentioned in the Irish Times last Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I was just coming on to recommend Frank Hederman as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Nobody would question the quality of Hederman's produce.
    But the price!!!!!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

Nobody would question the quality of Hederman's produce.
    But the price!!!!!:eek:

In that case you'll just have to go and buy Tesco's Market Value smoked salmon. There's often a direct connection between cost and quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

olaola wrote: »

Apart from buying Irish any other reason? There is no real difference between Irish and scottish salmon, or Norwegian for that matter, Salmo Salar farmed in the north east atlantic. Its usually down to the smokers.
    Unless your using a salmon from somewhere like http://www.lochduart.com/ , not Irish but a far superior salmon from the start.
    Have you sampled that many smoked salmon variety's before?

http://www.salar.co.uk/

Used by Ramsey, Stein and many others....

this is exactly the type of advice I was looking for - thanks everyone. I've sent hederman an email for a price - though the beer revolution seems to know the price already .... care to advise before I get a heart attack by email?

niallam - I've tried a few, but it tended to be in decent restaurants so haven't had to source before. I know from tasting the good stuff that its well worth the investment and should be a nice treat for the family on xmas day.

£20stg minimum delivery charge for loch duart :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Sally Barnes Woodcock smokery is excellent and stocked by Harrods in the UK and most good fishmongers in Ireland.

cheers cjhaughey - just checked out Sallys site - she also has some really interesting smoked fish ... hhmm has me checking the bank balance as they are seriously premium prices. whilst searching I found the greattasteawards.co.uk website - what a cool site, it has links to all the winners websites in all categories.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I can tell you her smoked Albacore is the best smoked fish I have eaten. Ever.

Got a leaflet from Superquinn in the door last night, they've a half price sale on their own brand and Dunns.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Sally Barnes Woodcock smokery is excellent and stocked by Harrods in the UK and most good fishmongers in Ireland.

She used to do a cold smoked tuna (last I heard she had stopped due to lack of demand) which was truly amazing.

Thanks for your posts on this. I've ended up placing an order with Frank Hederman - I'll report back after xmas. Also buying some of their Smoked Mackeral fillets which seemed like great value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

+1 on Frank Hederman. It sthe best smoked salmon I have ever tasted - non-greasy, melts in the mouth but firm and with a delicious flavour. Its a bit more expensive but its like McDonalds vs rib-eye steak when compared with farmed smoked salmon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,898 ✭✭✭billyhead

kmick wrote: »
    +1 on Frank Hederman. It sthe best smoked salmon I have ever tasted - non-greasy, melts in the mouth but firm and with a delicious flavour. Its a bit more expensive but its like McDonalds vs rib-eye steak when compared with farmed smoked salmon.

Can you buy this in a supermarket in Dubin?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Ive never seen it so I doubt it. He does not do supermarket quantities. His website above seems to sell it - I dont know how it gets delivered though. edit Fallon and Byrne and Avoca have it in Dublin/Wicklow. By the time they stick their mark up on it though its going to be expensive. I bought one piece of organic smoked salmon direct from the shop about the size of an iphone but 3 times thicker for 20 euro. Probably cost 40 for the same piece in Fallon and Byrne. Was worth the 20 though.

They do next day delivery (€15) - and also sell 400g sealed packs. I actually thought the price was pretty reasonable considering their product is at the higher end of the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

donnacha wrote: »
    £20stg minimum delivery charge for loch duart :eek::eek:

http://www.nicksfish.ie/index1.html

Stocked here, only place in Ireland :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

kmick wrote: »

He has a stall in the English market in cork

Advertisement