Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another condensation problem

• 13-12-2010 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭

I'm just in my new build over a week now and already there is a big build up of condensation in the ensuite after showers. So much so there is a pool of water sitting on the window sill.

The cavity is insulated and also internally drylined with 38mm plasterboard.

I make sure the extractor is running but the build up is bad and I want to try and nip it in the bud.

Any ideas what the issue is or how it can be solved.

Thanks
    Bull

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Its most likely to be compounded by the climate we currently have. Don't think there's too much you can do about it, but I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭maddragon

Extractor might be undersized and if someone is spending along time in the shower the moisture just can't be shifted quick enough. Try opening the window as well during the shower although that won't pass muster with the wife or girlfriend probably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Remember that the house is still drying out and this may be the primary cause of the excess moisture. The drying of a new block built house can take a year and this will also be reflected in higher heating bills for this first year.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Thanks for the replies guys.

yeah I hope its a combination of the current weather and the house still drying out.

I'm not sure if the extractor is undersized, will check out that possibility.

I certainly don't take long showers and the girlfriend aint too bad either.

So will just see does time make a difference, hopefully so.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 The Helpful Engineer

In case its not the house drying out, I'd be surprised if it was so wet that its causing that problem in one room only. I posted a link to my website where I have a page on how to address condensation and mould problems, I posted the link on another thread as well. The link is http://thehelpfulengineer.com/index.php/2010/10/mould-in-houses-causes-and-solutions/ if you read that it should help.

Some particular points in your case. Assuming there is an accessible attic above your ensuite, I would check whether the extract fan is connected to a duct in the attic and whether that duct is connected to a roof vent. Many times I have inspected houses and found that the extract fan is not connected to anything in the attic. Also as the others said open the window when showering, is there a passive vent in the ensuite? this would help. Is the window double glazed? Is the ensuite being heated properly? Check whether the attic/ ceiling is insulated properly, check over at the sides. When i moved into my house we had a slight mould problem in the corner of our ensuite over the shower, it was caused by a lack of insulation in the corner of the attic. I pushed some into position with a brush as it was so hard to get at, but it fixed the problem.
    One final thing would that might help if you did everything else would be to leave the ensuite door open during the day when airing out the house as it will help to dry the room out by increasing the airflow.
    Hope that helps.

• Advertisement
Advertisement