Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixed rate loan settlement figure

Options
  • 13-12-2010 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭

Looking for some quick advice,

i took out a 4 year fixed rate personal loan in 2009 for 21,000, interest charge was 2904, so monthly cost 498.

As of today the balance is 13,944 (20 payments of 498 paid off).

I want to clear the loan now and have the funds, settlement figure offered was 13,141, which seems a little penal to me? but maybe its about right, anyone got any feedback on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

That works out at about a 6.5% nominal rate. On a equivalent variable rate loan the settlement figure would be just over 12,900, and you would have paid around 1,900 in interest, so it doesnt seem a huge leap to the settlement figure of 13,141

If it was me, I'd probably accept it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Cyrus wrote: »
    Looking for some quick advice,

i took out a 4 year fixed rate personal loan in 2009 for 21,000, interest charge was 2904, so monthly cost 498.

As of today the balance is 13,944 (20 payments of 498 paid off).

I want to clear the loan now and have the funds, settlement figure offered was 13,141, which seems a little penal to me? but maybe its about right, anyone got any feedback on this?

So you owe currently 13944, and they will let you clear for 13141?
    I would have thought they would look for the full 13944 as you signed up to a fixed rate loan tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

homer911 wrote: »
    That works out at about a 6.5% nominal rate. On a equivalent variable rate loan the settlement figure would be just over 12,900, and you would have paid around 1,900 in interest, so it doesnt seem a huge leap to the settlement figure of 13,141

If it was me, I'd probably accept it

i guess so, but that said ill have paid 72% of the interest on just 42% of the term
    dobsdave wrote: »
    So you owe currently 13944, and they will let you clear for 13141?
    I would have thought they would look for the full 13944 as you signed up to a fixed rate loan tbh.

i understand that there is a penalty for clearing a fixed rate loan early, but i dont think anywhere expects you to pay all of the interest when you havent had the money for all of the term???

• Registered Users Posts: 24,501 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

thats high enough IMO.

I have a three year motor loan I have been looking to clear if car sells and am being given a settlement figure of remaining balance- 1 year of interest.

remaining:17,820
    settlement now: 16,900

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Unfortunately thats the way fixed rates are and its fine to charge whatever penalty they wish as long as long as you signed for it. Most charge 6 months interest. Its the price you pay for a fixed rate.

seems normal enough to me.

• Advertisement

chris85 wrote: »
    Unfortunately thats the way fixed rates are and its fine to charge whatever penalty they wish as long as long as you signed for it. Most charge 6 months interest. Its the price you pay for a fixed rate.

seems normal enough to me.

im being a bit thick perhaps so humour me, but 6 months interest should only be 360, the amount of interest remaining is 1,694, of which they are excusing me 803, so im paying 891

or am i being thick :D

excuse me, i knew i was being thick

the loan interest is calculated using sum of the digits

in that context the settlement figure is fine

Advertisement