Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bread Sauce appreciation thread

Options
  • 13-12-2010 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭

I just love this stuff - always have it with Chicken and Turkey. I even have to post over the packet stuff to my brother in the states because he is addicted too.

It does amaze me how many poeple have never heard of Bread sauce or have never tried it - the world would be a darker place without it!

I have to go through Christmas dinner in my in laws house without it, it would cause to many waves to request it apparently!:eek:

Anyone else love it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

I am one of those who never had it..

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭nyeb2007

lucylu wrote: »
    I am one of those who never had it..
    +1, keep meaning to though:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Bread sauce is amaaaaaazing. Every home should have it. It's the only thing I like about turkey!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Lovely stuff, remember it from my youth, but haven't had any for ages though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Never had it either. Doesn't look very appetising http://www.google.ie/images?q=bread+sauce&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1280&bih=637

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bread sauce is the cats whiskers.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭eimear1

murphym7 wrote: »

I have to go through Christmas dinner in my in laws house without it, it would cause to many waves to request it apparently!

Love bread sauce too - didn't realise gravy was ever served on xmas turkey til i was an adult! Friend of mine has had this dilemma for the last few weeks too, why don't you offer to bring a contribution for the meal and bring your own homemade bread sauce so everyone can try it?? Maybe bring a couple other things too so it doesn't look like you're just doing it to have the bread sauce!

Eimear

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I keep looking at it and thinking "I will never be that hungry..." :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Never had it either. Doesn't look very appetising
    Yeah, it can look a bit like a cross between wallpaper paste and papier-mâché, but it tastes much nicer. The flavour comes from the onions, cloves and peppercorns that infuse the milk you use to make it with, the bread is just to bulk it up really.

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type-of-dish/savoury/traditional-bread-sauce.html

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭crow_eat_crow

I insist on making it at Christmas. Love the stuff. Mmmmmmm.:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I used to eat a little bit of it because my family love it, my Mom makes her own every year and practically drools over it, but I never really felt strongly either way, just ate it with everything else.

So about 4 years ago Christmas Dinner was in our house, all the trimmings as usual, including the famous bread sauce, in it's special blue ceramic bowl with lid. Anyways dinner was over, clear up got under way, everything washed and put away....or so we thought.

Fast forward to the following July, I'm looking for the key to the patio door and I know the key is hidden on a dresser full of delph. Thought I noticed a funky smell but didn't pay much attention. I look in every mug, no key, I open the blue ceramic bowl with the lid on it...6 month old purpley/grey lumpy STINKING bread sauce :( Aunt had put the lid on and someone else assumed it was clean and empty and put it away.

I feel sick at the sight of it every year now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Will do bread sauce this year, and the cranberry and a turkey stock gravy. Any other savory sauces for a Christmas day table?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

It's one of the highlights of christmas dinner for me.

I start it the day before by soaked 2 onion halves in milk and work from there. I took my mothers recipe and made it my own but it tastes even better on Stephens day !

But i do gravy as well based on the juice from the turkey and veg cooking and stock as well.

Advertisement