Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best pair for levelling?

Options
  • 13-12-2010 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭

Myself and my friend will be picking this game up and playing from scratch over Christmas. What's the best duo for levelling through the game? I was thinking Warrior/Paladin with a Priest? What way would we do thier talents?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Mage/Priest i would say. AOE everything, get healed by Priest, profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭witless1

Any duo will level efficiently together. Dual DPS specs / classes will burn things down negating the need for a tank / healer class.

If you wish to level through dungeons (which teaches you a lot about the game) having a tank and healer combo guarantees instant queues. For the classes you mentioned you would be looking at Protection for the Warrior/Paladin and I would recommend Disc for the priest at low levels especially if you are new to the game. Disc gives you a little bit more breathing space then Holy when it comes to healing, having a strong shield can buy you the few seconds to heal up another player or top the tank up. Holy is strong as well but I have no experience with it at all so couldn't offer ya anything concrete on the spec or playstyle. Google will throw up hundreds of blogs and resources about how to spec your character.

I would recommend rolling a hybrid class particularly if it is your first character. You might really hate your role after a while and it turns out your just not suited to a certain style of play. Personally, I struggled playing a melee class when I started the game then I switched to a caster. If you are a hybrid you can fill multiple roles with the Druid, for example, offering 4 different playstyles. Take a look at:
    http://www.wowwiki.com/Hybrid_class

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

Get yourself a tank / healer combo goin...fly through the levels and easily get yerself into the dungeons...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Thanks for the above --^

Any recommendations on servers? Also, if we pick different races (both Alliance), how long is it till we can meet up in game? Or does everyone start near eachother?

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

Go play as a warrior and as a paladin you wont regret it. you will destroy everything and have good endgame prospects on either character. To start near each other choose the same race or one of you could set up a recruit a friend account and you can summon each other and you level faster as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

long as one can tank or heal you will fly up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Both roll Druids, can do all 3 types, tank, heal and dps (melee or caster). All specs excel, none are lacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

i'd say druid paladin

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Robby91

Based on my observations of some friends levelling, tank-healer would be a pretty effective way to go - aside from the all-too-frequent "****ing stupid DPS'er..." in dungeon groups, they have been levelling fairly quickly.
    They're ~Lv70 now without heirlooms (although, one of them has been working on an alt when the other one isn't around). Although, if one of you wishes to go tank (or healer), just about any class/role combination would work (except maybe healer-healer... :P) - good survivability outside of dungeons and quick dungeon queues, what's not to like :)

EDIT: They are Disc/Shadow Priest and Feral Druid, FWIW.

Think we will go Paladin/Priest; The Paladin would be mostly Protection/Retribution talents and the priest Holy/Discipline talents. Does that make sense?

Are race choices important? I presume the difference in starting stats in meaningless after a while?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

i'm still thinking paladin druid is the way to go.. 2 hybrids which high survivability (plate, bear) is a winner

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Warrior Druid is a combo a friend and I played from 1 to 80. Great fun and stress free. I played the druid and speced for healing. We had years of time due to his insane armour and damage mitigation during fights and I could boom out huge heals on him plus HoTs. His taunts are a key element. Anything jumps me, I just stand still and let him take it off me. He could keep a handful of mobs on him while I kept him alive indefinitely.

2xDPS is possible too but much more frantic I would imagine as its a race between your damage output versus the mobs health and the reverse. I dont think they could survive the mass mobbing that sometimes happens with an overpull... while we could take 5,6 or more mobs at the same time and still have a smoke while churning through them. Warrior + healer = perpetual motion machine.

You could go with a priest too, just to be sure of end game invites (not that I had a problem as a druid) but personally I preferred the druid because if he wasnt around and I felt like soloing, I could switch all sorts of things about and become a DPS or Tank... its an incredibly flexible class. Also, I could morph into DPS mid fight with him if we were just burning through trash mobs to get somewhere in a dungeon. Assist him with DPS and nothing stood a chance.

Enjoy, we did and I find it the most enjoyable way to level (presuming you have voice comms etc).

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'd recommend questing through the revamped content and go throug heach dungeon once or twice.

Remember that dungeon xP is nerfed to pretty much being useless, to encourage people for quest.

With this in mind, I'd pick a class you both want to play, its great having a duo going to 80, then 85, but come endgame you might run into issues.

I'd choose a class you enjoy, using RAF ( which i assume you are otherwise its such a silly mistake :P ) you can very quickly level through older content

Myself and a friend had about 3-4 level 60's each after about 2 weeks, and knew what characters we wanted to have as a main.

And even when we both decided we wanted something new, we only had to level from 60 onwards.

So by the measure, get yourselfs the recruit a friend, triple xp, and level as many characters to sixty as possible. Mark out what was the most fun experience for you, the ncontinue that character on, then if you do change, you dont need to start from scratch .

TheDoc wrote: »
    So by the measure, get yourselfs the recruit a friend, triple xp, and level as many characters to sixty as possible..

Refer a friend? Triple XP?! Tell me more!

Cant get details in here firewall blocks it.

Have a look on the site, basically one of you buy the game and account, then refer a friend, he activates through an email link and when you quest and do dungeons together you get triple xp

O and you get a 310% double seater rocket mount.

Cheers guys, gonna be all over that when I activate my account (going to start over the Chrimbo holidays)

Think I will in fact go with a Warrior Druid combo. As you said, if I don't like it I can easily reroll and level up with the bonus experience.

Any recommendations on races/servers?

Newaglish wrote: »
    Cheers guys, gonna be all over that when I activate my account (going to start over the Chrimbo holidays)

Think I will in fact go with a Warrior Druid combo. As you said, if I don't like it I can easily reroll and level up with the bonus experience.

Any recommendations on races/servers?

Race is up to you, at the moment with Cataclysm there is a pretty big Q on popular servers.

So if your playing with a friend, join a low pop server and breeze through at your own pace, go PvE so that you arnt mucked around by other players..

The only downside is that if one of you leaves come endgame, you might end up moving server, and if you get into endgame, low pop servers might not have alot of guilds raiding endgame content.

You could always nose around here for irish guilds or groups of irish on servers.

I'm not telling you my realm cause its packed to the hilt and Dustaz will shout at me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

Myself and Einstein play on bronzebeard. It's fairly populated but not packed, with faction choice towards ally. Although there are a few very good horde guilds tearing into end content. Alliance side has a good mix of raid centrict guilds right down to social levelling guilds. battleground queues are fairly short and if you are a tank looking for dungeon is almost instant, and about 20-30 mins if you are a dps. The only downside to the realm is trade chat, but you will probably get that everywhere :) if you are looking for a social/casual/raiding guild andc want to roll alliance check us out www.thegreycouncilguild.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Yeah roll on Outland server, barely anyone on that, almost empty, they need more people there...

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,472 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Whatever you decide neither of you should play a role because you feel you "have" to. If you both wanna run rogues, run rogues. Hell, 2v2 arena is pretty annoying when you're up against a 2-rogue team :P If you wanna heal great, if you wanna tank great, etc. But thats something you each have to decide. Any combination you both pick is going to have strengths and weaknesses, the important thing is that you play something you enjoy so that you can learn it well and get the most out of it. I suppose I would say however that it will be a benefit to both of you if one of you decides you want to either be a Protection Warrior or a Bear Druid for tanking damage. Seriously cuts-down on down-time when you dont have to stop and drink/eat to regain health or mana after every second fight.

Race isn't that critical, but I suppose you're limited (depending on faction) to Troll/Tauren and Night Elf/Worgen figuring you both want to start in the same area.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Yurple

a good combo is always like a damage taker and a healer .. like warrior and priest.. paladin and druid!!

or

a dps and healer

mage / priest

rogue / shaman etc

there are so many posibilities but it all depends on your play style :D

tank/dps works too. or maybe thats just pallys. Im rather unstoppable when it comes to merely questing and leveling :)

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭DevilsBreath

How has no one yet suggested a pair of balls?

Any way like everyone else said healer and tank, Best combo ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

How has no one yet suggested a pair of balls?

Any way like everyone else said healer and tank, Best combo ever.

terrible combo for lvling quest wise

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

TheDoc wrote: »
    I'd recommend questing through the revamped content and go throug heach dungeon once or twice.

Have the lowbe dungeons respawn points/graveyards been changed as Iv always found dying in some of the older dungeons to be a massive pain in the arse due to the insane runback/route needed to re-enter the instance.

TechnoPool wrote: »
    terrible combo for lvling quest wise
    For grouping it might be slower; personally I find tanking easier because i never have to stop and find a group for anything, I just keep on trucking and plow through quest bosses that are meant for 3 or more players. Also greatly speeds up time waiting for dungeons of course

Venom wrote: »
    Have the lowbe dungeons respawn points/graveyards been changed as Iv always found dying in some of the older dungeons to be a massive pain in the arse due to the insane runback/route needed to re-enter the instance.

They've added more graveyards and flight paths to some areas, and put the dungeon quests right at the start of instances now. Also streamlined one or two (Sunken Temple and i think one other).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Paladin/Mage. AOE tanking + fire = awesome.

EDIT: I used the refer a friend last year. My friend went to a RP realm and wouldn't join mine. Still got the mount though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Me and a friend just started on Doomhammer Alliance. Worg Warrior and Night Elf Priest .. hope you guys are right!

Advertisement