Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Money

Options
  • 13-12-2010 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭

Dont know if this is the right forum so feel free to move if necessary.
    Basically going to australia for a three weeks and want to know the best way to manage finances.
    Should i bring cash? If so where is the best place to change the money as regards exchange rate? Or is it better to exchange the money while over there?
    Should i use ATM's over there? Or will i be charged huge fees for the pleasure?
    I dont have a credit card so thats not an option.
    Bit of newbie in this regard so any advice would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

The best thing to do is have a little in everything.
    -bring some in cash,
    -leave some in an account you can access with your card (make sure it has LINK, or MAESTRO or something similar on the card, check with the bank to make sure it will work over here)
    -Convert some to traveller's cheques.

That way you wont be screwed if you lose one.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 am_sunny

Basically going to australia for a three weeks and want to know the best way to manage finances.
    Should i bring cash? If so where is the best place to change the money as regards exchange rate? Or is it better to exchange the money while over there?

I'm having the same problem as you. Don't know what to do. I recently got a Visa debit card so i'm hoping that will work. Not sure what the charges are though. Check your banks website and it show say somewhere what they charge per transaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

australia has great money! it has super anti-ocean powers, not like my phone :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Just check with your bank before you go about maximum daily withdrawal limits on your laser/maestro card. Had previously never had a problem with national irish bank, but on my recent trip to Oz (oct/nov)was limited to $600aud a day which some days in oz doesn't go far. I don't think the fees were massive though for using the atm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

The Banks will Screw you thats a Given, ATM transactions cost $2 a pop over here, Foreign Exchange fees are Retarded and will be added each time you draw foreign money.....

Anyway as I've said before, the Best way to transfer money to Australia is to Put it in a big brown Envelope and post it to me, I'll mind it for you til you get here ;)

send it to

Mahatma Coat
    Rocky River Road
    The Outback
    NSW 24 69

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

The Banks will Screw you thats a Given, ATM transactions cost $2 a pop over here, Foreign Exchange fees are Retarded and will be added each time you draw foreign money.....

Yep they are in the business of making money alright, unlike another countries banks i can think of :rolleyes:,

Mackman wrote: »
    The best thing to do is have a little in everything.
    -bring some in cash,
    -leave some in an account you can access with your card (make sure it has LINK, or MAESTRO or something similar on the card, check with the bank to make sure it will work over here)
    -Convert some to traveller's cheques.

That way you wont be screwed if you lose one.

This route sounds the best way to go to me.

Advertisement