Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tapas

Options
  • 13-12-2010 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

Hi Everyone :)

Can anyone recommend a good tapas place in dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

salamanca (exchequer st, now also on parliament st) was good a year ago, I don't know it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Pinxto or the Port House (same people). Salamanca isn't great and it's very expensive and Havana, while having a good atmosphere - the food is poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

olaola wrote: »
    Pinxto or the Port House (same people). Salamanca isn't great and it's very expensive and Havana, while having a good atmosphere - the food is poor.

food is poor at havana, agreed.

I was at Pinxto in temple bar (some months ago) and it was really disappointing; my wife went to Port House and she didn't like it too :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

market bar on fade street is pretty good too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Oh yeah, the market bar is VERY good, portions are huge - great for a group.
    I'll stand by my Port House & Pinxto suggestions! I do think they would be the most authentic in Dublin. Great wine too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

We still go to and love Salamanca, have been going there for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

market bar all the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Petite Treats

I've been to Ochos in Ranelagh a few times - yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭smallgarden

salamancas early bird menu is great value and lovely food for 15 for 3 courses

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

Havana - food is poor

Market Bar - really nice food

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Spiritofthekop

Ochos in Ranelagh was very good but has closed down?...dont know why as it was always very busy??

"La Bogada" Ranelagh I think its called.....does tapas as well & is nice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭redlead

Salamanca make much much better tapa's than the Market Bar. When you have been to proper tapas bars in Spain, it depresses you to go to places like the market bar. They have a very poor selection, no diversity to their menu at all. Salamanca is definitely the best I have been to in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Does anyone know what happened to Ochos?

The best tapas in Dublin, in my view, come from the Port House group of restaurants. All of their outlets are excellent, and the bil is usually quite reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

The Ice Bar in The Four Seasons do great Tapas. I'd recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Gingko

Get in the car and drive for two hours to Galway. There on Dominick Street you will find Cavas. The best Tapas bar I have experienced in Ireland. Maybe due to the large Spanish contingent in the city of tribes. They have a facebook page "Cavas tapas & wine bar". The website link won't copy and paste for some reason.

Good food, good service, nice old building, atmospheric, and real Spanish musicians. Love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

+1 for Port House

Love spanish food and tapas and I think it is hard to beat it for quality, price and the atmosphere in in their St William St location.

Also find that they always seem to tell you it is a 45 mins wait for a table but the actual wait is usually just a few mins so do not walk away!

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Dinxminx

I thought the Port House was terrible value and the food is average. Wouldn't go back there. Salamanca is the best I've been to in Ireland so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

La Bodega in Ranelagh is the best tapas bar I've been to in Dublin.

Pinxto's in temple bar is good but the place is too dark. It needs more than candles on the table for lighting. I can't see what I am eating ffs.

Market Bar is ok. Big portions but food is average and selection is bad. Good value but I prefer quality over quantity.

As for Salamanca, always thought food was good but I remember going to Salamanca maybe 2 years ago and ordered mussels as one of the tapas. It had little crabs inside the shells and in the stomach of the mussles. When I asked the management about it they went into the kitchen, came back and then told me that's just what's fed to the mussels. They said it's fine and asked if I still want the mussels? I couldn't believe the kitchen staff thought it was ok to cook and serve them and the management was ok with it. I sent it back. I don't want to eat mini crabs and have shells stuck between my teeth. That incident aside, it's terrible value and I haven't been back since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I loved the Porthouse Iberico in Dundrum. Was a smidge shocked that such good tapas were in a shopping centre complex but they were definitely nicer than pintxos/porthouse in the city centre. I don't think Salamanca is great either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

If you're ever in Naas, drop over to Las Rada Wine & Tapas Bar. Moorish atmosphere with good tapas. I haven't been there since summer, but I assume it's still there, fingers crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

if you are close to cabinteely, go to the below. seriously good tapas

http://www.lastapas.ie/index.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

If you're into seafood tapas, take a trip out to Howth pier to Octopussy. The best value and best restaurant in Howth, imo. Had a Spanish foodie friend go there recently who was well impressed with it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

if you are close to cabinteely, go to the below. seriously good tapas

http://www.lastapas.ie/index.php

No one agrees with you ;-)

TripAdvisor

Galway and Nass are great, trying La Bodega in Ranelagh next week will report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Spiritofthekop

I tried the Port House Tapas one in Dundrum and I have to say I loved it.

I hate the other overpriced Dundrum Shopping center restaurants but this place was very nice I have to admit.

Its sort of away from the main shopping center down in one of the old cottages.

Its was decent priced too...43 euro for the 2 of us in total and we got 3 tasty big selections each..1 sangria and 2 glasses of white..chilled bottle of water and basket of bread free...completely full and happy leaving.

Nice warm chilled comfortable layout.

Would recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

Another vote for the Porthouse although it's been two years since I've been there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Dubbud

***** : Las Tapas (Cabinteely) and Cava (Galway)
    ****: Pintxos (Temple Bar)
    ***: PortHouse(D2) and La Bodega(Ranelagh)

Others yet to be checked :)

Advertisement