Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobs in HP

Options
  • 13-12-2010 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Hi guys,

does anyone know anything about these new jobs that have been announced today??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

somebody does i'd wager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

You can apply for them on the HP website.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

DRakE wrote: »
    somebody does i'd wager

Do you ever have anything productive to say???:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 49 SteveSilverhead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Sconsey

There are a numner of different jobs:

go here: https://hp.taleo.net/careersection/2/moresearch.ftl
    then filer the search by location to 'Ireland' then sub filter to 'Galway'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

75 are permanent and 30 temp. Looks like most are around Java programming in the context of developing apps based around Cloud Computing...pretty interesting progressive stuff that could make alot of other IT jobs obsolete in a few years

Wompa1 wrote: »
    75 are permanent and 30 temp. Looks like most are around Java programming in the context of developing apps based around Cloud Computing...pretty interesting progressive stuff that could make alot of other IT jobs obsolete in a few years

I can see virtualization and cloud computing making a lot of jobs in the manufacturing industry obsolete.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

The jobs are in development from graduate -> senior level. Also some in project management from what I hear.
    Experience in Java/C++/C# mainly.
    PM me if you want further details and I can find out more. There is a referral process. We could split the bonus if you get hired :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

The jobs are in development from graduate -> senior level. Also some in project management from what I hear.
    Experience in Java/C++/C# mainly.
    PM me if you want further details and I can find out more. There is a referral process. We could split the bonus if you get hired :)

What are they like to work for? A friend of mine was working for them 5 years ago and didn't like them. Just wondering if it was just her?

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

Das Kitty wrote: »
    What are they like to work for? A friend of mine was working for them 5 years ago and didn't like them. Just wondering if it was just her?

They are pretty good at the moment. I suppose it all depends on your work team. It was definitely bad for a while when Mark Hurd (COE) was in charge. He cut research and development and it was near impossible to get a pay rise and plenty of jobs were lost which didn't get backfilled. He's gone now (do a search to find out why if you like :D). Now there is a bit of spark in the place and these announcements show that investment will be in R&D with engineers valued again. Hours are pretty flexible and canteen is cheap. breakfast under €3 and dinner for under €5. What more could anyone ask for!!!

• Advertisement

They are pretty good at the moment. I suppose it all depends on your work team. It was definitely bad for a while when Mark Hurd (COE) was in charge. He cut research and development and it was near impossible to get a pay rise and plenty of jobs were lost which didn't get backfilled. He's gone now (do a search to find out why if you like :D). Now there is a bit of spark in the place and these announcements show that investment will be in R&D with engineers valued again. Hours are pretty flexible and canteen is cheap. breakfast under €3 and dinner for under €5. What more could anyone ask for!!!

Canteen is pretty horrible. No more free tea or coffee, though that was only around for a while anyway. You could do worse than HP..they certainly aren't the typical multi-national in terms of perks but it's a job and great experience because you will touch on pretty much everything in this place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Do you ever have anything productive to say???:confused:
    5040.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

i've an IT degree, might apply for a job for the craic :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Canteen is pretty horrible. No more free tea or coffee, though that was only around for a while anyway. You could do worse than HP..they certainly aren't the typical multi-national in terms of perks but it's a job and great experience because you will touch on pretty much everything in this place.

Chicken Kiev was lovely today.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Sconsey wrote: »
    There are a numner of different jobs:

go here: https://hp.taleo.net/careersection/2/moresearch.ftl
    then filer the search by location to 'Ireland' then sub filter to 'Galway'
    Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I get no matches returned when I do that. Have the jobs definitely been posted on that site?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

They dont seem to have any jobs for people who are crap at computers. I'm a great ideas man me, they should utilise that

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

Malice_ wrote: »
    Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I get no matches returned when I do that. Have the jobs definitely been posted on that site?

It's working ok for me. Just change the location fields (Ireland, Galway) and leave everything else as default. Comes up with 34 jobs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

Yeah the food is not great. Sweat and sour pork is just brown deep fried in brown.

At least we get a free Christmas dinner on Thursday. I don't care how bad it is as long as it's free.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

They dont seem to have any jobs for people who are crap at computers. I'm a great ideas man me, they should utilise that

You should apply to eircom. They have a guy named Jim working there who's head of "getting things done" or some such

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Off-Topic.... The canteen in SAP is free :D I spent a summer working there and loved it. You paid for your fry-up on the Friday morning (about 3euro) but dinner was always free.

Tea/Coffee is free too, and there's 2 'stations' on each floor. I didn't even drink tea but started because it was a legit excuse to walk around the building :p You paid your cans of coke etc. obviously

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

All ye hp'ers posting, im so curious to know who ye are.

Canteen sure aint 5 star but at least the sandwich bar is decent.

I like working there, its the people as they say.
    Great vote of confidence in the future of the site, these jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

might apply for one of these jobs

anyone up for referring me?!;)

Solyad wrote: »
    All ye hp'ers posting, im so curious to know who ye are.

Canteen sure aint 5 star but at least the sandwich bar is decent.

I like working there, its the people as they say.
    Great vote of confidence in the future of the site, these jobs.

Yeah it does sound like a good vote of confidence alright and it's in an important area for any IT company so happy days I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

skelliser wrote: »
    might apply for one of these jobs

anyone up for referring me?!;)

Are you worth referring??

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Do ye know many unemployed Java developers of the calibre they're looking for? Can't say that I do.

I wonder how many of these jobs are already filled.

However it's a good sign that they're being listed as HP employees rather than agency workers. At least there's some career potential etc.

I found it a good place to work a couple of years ago, but without transport did feel kinda trapped at the plant. IMHO they really should make the regular #3 do a spin through the estate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

JustMary wrote: »
    I wonder how many of these jobs are already filled.
    A mate of mine working there on contract was just told he's being made permanent. Don't be too cut up if most of these "new" jobs are the same deal and a bit of a PR stunt.
    Good luck all applying anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭yfaykya

I am in one of the teams that are hiring. We are looking for 35 people as soon as possible. Otherwsie we will have to hire them elsewhere. Exciting stuff at the moment. 30" monitors and kick ass workstations. Mainly C++ and perl stuff it looks like but if you know one language you can learn them all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

.......Sweat and sour pork is just brown deep fried in brown...........

No wonder it wasn't nice:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

yfaykya wrote: »
    I am in one of the teams that are hiring. We are looking for 35 people as soon as possible. Otherwsie we will have to hire them elsewhere. Exciting stuff at the moment. 30" monitors and kick ass workstations. Mainly C++ and perl stuff it looks like but if you know one language you can learn them all!

I thought they were looking for mainly Java skills?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

yfaykya wrote: »
    30" monitors and kick ass workstations.
    I'm sold! I regularly go browse Boards while I'm waiting for the app that I'm working on to compile and run. Those tasks always seem to take longer when deadlines are nearer.

Advertisement