Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can geraniums survive the frost?

Options
  • 13-12-2010 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭

Now that the garden has (temporarily?) thawed out, my poor geraniums are at best floppy and rather ill looking.

Can geraniums survive frost? Is it just a matter of time before all four legs go up in the air or will they survive?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Not outside, you'll have to bring them in and put them on a sunny window sill. They probably won't survive after the cold they've just had but you never know. Cut them back and reduce watering, don't feed them at all.

You could also try take them out of their soil, pop a paper bag over their heads and keep them in a warm but not hot room. That might put them into hibernation if there is any life left in them. Try bring the roots back to life in spring, repot, water and give plenty of sun. Feed as soon as you see some growth coming back.
    I presume you are talking about pelargoniums.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Pelargoniums are a Mediterranean native and so they don't deal well with cold.

Geraniums on the other hand are herbaceous perennials and will come back next year (petty I know but the difference is one that bugs me regularly)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

oh, yes, you're right, it is Pelargonium that I'm referring to (thank you Google).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Awfully glad to see this as I was advised to bring in my 'geranium' over the winter too. I popped it into a pot with soil and left it in my cold porch. I think though it is a pelargonium, its got multicoloured leaves starting with green going through purple, red and yellow at the edge. Thanks for info, hope I keep it going as its gorgeous.

Advertisement