Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuck in town with a dead phone!

Options
  • 13-12-2010 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hello everyone ,

As with the title i'm stuck in town and need to make a zillion calls..... does anyone know if there is one of those mobile phone charging booths in the city ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

pop into a phone shop and ask to stick your phone on to charge for a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Funky Kingston

I went in to one and asked ....they looked at me like I had two heads and said no *grrr* Thanks though !

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭yeehaw

Go into any pub and ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Go into a pub or cafe, ask them can you charge your phone while you have a coffee. If they say no walk out but I don't see why they wouldn't let you use the electricity if your a paying customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Does the OP have a charger on them though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

would it not have occurred to you to charge your phone before you needed to make a zillion calls?

No I don't have one on me , I was away for the weekend and forgot it .... i just need to sort a lift home so its a bugger not having charge .

DRakE wrote: »
    would it not have occurred to you to charge your phone before you needed to make a zillion calls?
    No need to get catty about it mate ...i don't mean any harm in my enquiry.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭the west wing

Go back to the phone shop and tell them you'll buy credit if they'll let you charge your phone. Or alot of places that unlock phones (they were usually above headshops) have chargers so go and ask them politiely can you use it. Tell them you'll buy a cup of tea for them or give them the price of a pint??

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭yeehaw

No I don't have one on me , I was away for the weekend and forgot it .... i just need to sort a lift home so its a bugger not having charge .

I thought you had to make a 'zillion' calls?

You seem to be a bright spark.

• Advertisement

pop into a phone shop and ask to stick your phone on to charge for a bit.

I wonder if you might know of anywhere that might ;)
    No need to get catty about it mate ...i don't mean any harm in my enquiry.

This is his default setting. Don't worry, you'll get used to it.

This is his default setting. Don't worry, you'll get used to it.

Thanks :) I'll pop into some other places. Cheers for the help .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Is there a hotel around where you are?
    They usually have loads of chargers @reception from people leaving them behind in their rooms...
    Other options: Buy a charger, or a solar charger in one of those gadget shops...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

There are still payphones around town and since you are online skype also works.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭the west wing

snubbleste wrote: »
    There are still payphones around town and since you are online skype also works.
    If the OP is like me, they won't know phone numbers off by heart and will need to check them on the phone. However if they do know the numbers, then good idea!

Q.
    a) If you had to undertake a zillion calls each lasting 20 seconds..how many years would this take (assume 9 hours a day not using the phone) ?
    b) Assuming this is on a pay as you go plan charging 20 cents a minute, calculate the cost and contrast how many minimum wage hours this would take to pay.
    c) Based on answer a) would the phone still work at the end of the period?

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

How many marks are going for each part of that question?

How many marks are going for each part of that question?

a) 4 marks, b) 4 marks, c) 2 marks

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

yeehaw wrote: »
    I thought you had to make a 'zillion' calls?

You seem to be a bright spark.
    Can we leave these remarks outside please?
    Indeed, just get a pen, write down all the numbers before phone dies and use a internet cafe with phones.

Q.
    a) If you had to undertake a zillion calls each lasting 20 seconds..how many years would this take (assume 9 hours a day not using the phone) ?
    b) Assuming this is on a pay as you go plan charging 20 cents a minute, calculate the cost and contrast how many minimum wage hours this would take to pay.
    c) Based on answer a) would the phone still work at the end of the period?

a) 7.
    b) A gajillion dollars.
    c) Teehee, you said period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Disgusted to hear that the phone shops wouldn't charge it for you. I would never turn someone away... god knows I've been in the same situation before.

i'm just saying a bit of foresight

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

i'm just saying a bit of foresight...

...is no good in hindsight.

(Just finished the sentance there for you. You're welcome)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Had the same problem last year in Dublin during Christmas...basically my phone was not plugged into the charger properly but I didn't notice,ended up in Dublin with no battery and no numbers of people to contact. Tried EVERY phone shop on Henry Street and the ones off lanes, and no one was sympathetic to me at all, and I was in quite a bother. Eventually 02 offered to sell me a charger with 10% off.. I explained that I didn't need another charger, I had two at home in Galway but rather needed a quick boost on my phone to allow me to contact the people I was due to be meeting so I wouldn't be stranded in Dublin alone. Feckers made em buy the bloddy yoke and then there was another hoo haa as to whether they would let me plug it in for ten minutes.

Thinking back, I fumed out the door when it had a ten minute charge but wish I had charged it and returned the charger straight away :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

Energiser do portable chargers you put aa batteries in. gadget shops do disposable one use chargers. Tesco do the energiser ones usually. Hope it helps

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Had the same problem last year in Dublin during Christmas...basically my phone was not plugged into the charger properly but I didn't notice,ended up in Dublin with no battery and no numbers of people to contact. Tried EVERY phone shop on Henry Street and the ones off lanes, and no one was sympathetic to me at all, and I was in quite a bother. Eventually 02 offered to sell me a charger with 10% off.. I explained that I didn't need another charger, I had two at home in Galway but rather needed a quick boost on my phone to allow me to contact the people I was due to be meeting so I wouldn't be stranded in Dublin alone. Feckers made em buy the bloddy yoke and then there was another hoo haa as to whether they would let me plug it in for ten minutes.

Thinking back, I fumed out the door when it had a ten minute charge but wish I had charged it and returned the charger straight away :)

What a shower of ****.

I saw an instructable once of a coat with a charging dock in the pocket that was powered by the energy of your movements. You need specific stuff though for textile electronics. I'd love to have a go at something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Internet Cafe's are your friend if you've forgot your phone charger, only a euro you'l get your phone charged and internet, thats my experience in dublin ennis and limerick, I'd say the one above the joke shop on shop street would do it here as they sell phones (never done it myself though) and chance your arm at place near McSwiggans

Thanks everyone , I ended up posting on Facebook and got a lift home ha , desperate measures! Skype etc is a great idea but I didn't know any of the numbers ..... bit of a stupid move to forget my charger but oh well !
    I called into a few pubs and they would have helped only they mostly have nokia chargers not sony .
    Same thing happened to me as an above poster .... one particular phone shop tried to sell me a charger . Still though I'm sure not all of them are like that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

crappy that the phone shop wouldn't oblige you:mad:

• Advertisement

actually I was gonna say a bit of foresight and this whole ugly ordeal would have been avoided. can you stop stalking me and posting on what i post please?

Advertisement