Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where to buy a Super Nintendo?

• 13-12-2010 3:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭

Hey everybody!

I decided im going to get a snes for christmas:D Can anyone point me in the right direction on where to buy one? I know they have them on ebay, but a lot of them seem very expensive(€100-160). What is the going rate for a snes with or without games?

Id like to get my childhood favourites with the console, ie Super Mario All Stars, Street fighter, Killer Instinct, Bomberman etc :)

Also is there anything I need to know setting it up to a "newer" tv? Cables etc?

Thanks for any info!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Hey everybody!

Hi Doctor Nick!
    I decided im going to get a snes for christmas:D Can anyone point me in the right direction on where to buy one? I know they have them on ebay, but a lot of them seem very expensive(€100-160). What is the going rate for a snes with or without games?

Id like to get my childhood favourites with the console, ie Super Mario All Stars, Street fighter, Killer Instinct, Bomberman etc :)

Also is there anything I need to know setting it up to a "newer" tv? Cables etc?

Thanks for any info!!

To be honest, if you can get one for €100, I'd say you'd be doing well. I went looking for one about 2 years ago and couldn't find a full functioning one for less that €180

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

RedXIV wrote: »
    Hi Doctor Nick!

To be honest, if you can get one for €100, I'd say you'd be doing well. I went looking for one about 2 years ago and couldn't find a full functioning one for less that €180

Really? Hmm......any idea where to look apart from ebay?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Worth sticking your head into The Rage on Fade St. Don't think they have any in stock right now, but when they do they go for significantly less than the prices you've just mentioned.
    Any luck with Adverts.ie?

Adverts, as said above, i've gotten a few deals there. I saw one for 60 in that retro shop on talbot street when it was open but wouldn't know where to look for one nowadays, maybe in Rage as suggested below?

ghostchant wrote: »
    Worth sticking your head into The Rage on Fade St. Don't think they have any in stock right now, but when they do they go for significantly less than the prices you've just mentioned.
    Any luck with Adverts.ie?

I use adverts but didnt think it would have any for some reason!! I just did a quick search there and there is afew alright, thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Wow times have changed :eek:

I picked up a perfectly working one with 12 games, 2 controllers and all auxilaries delivered from the UK from some guy on Ebay for €30.

If I knew they were going for those prices I might sell up myself........

you could get lucky and find a good one for cheap but i wouldn't say that would be the norm. Although if you find more than one knocking around for 50 quid, let me know :D

Col200sx wrote: »

I picked up a perfectly working one with 12 games, 2 controllers and all auxilaries delivered from the UK from some guy on Ebay for €30.

Interested buyer here :)

The ones on adverts seem to have ALOT of interest

you could get lucky and find a good one for cheap but i wouldn't say that would be the norm. Although if you find more than one knocking around for 50 quid, let me know :D

Will do :) Anyone know a number for RAGE?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

There's no way a snes should be priced that high op. Not unless it's bundles with a load of games, if not it's simply overpriced. You should be easily able to get a snes on it's own for under 60 quid, through adverts/gumtree/ebay etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i got my snes and mega drives for 150 or so each, but they came with a **** ton of games.. think the mega drive came with 20-30 and the snes came with about 10-15

you might have to wait a while and look periodically to find a cheap one, as alot of people do chance their arm with the prices but you will find one reasonably priced in a short enough amount of time, on adverts or ebay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Really? Seems a bit much, I got mine for €5.. That was a car boot sale, but still, I can't imagine them being that much

I've a feeling looking through this that I may have been taken advantage of in my younger shopping days :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Feckin hell, taken advantage of isn't strong enough...reamed may be closer to it :D

You should be able to pick up a SNES for about €40 or thereabouts if you're willing to look about. If you find one at a catboot sale you could even get it for under €20. If someone is charging you more than €50 for an unboxed console they're ripping you off.

I think the RAGE may have even been doing them as low as €30 unboxed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

I picked one up recently for €20 on ebay, didn't come with any cables or controllers but I had them from before and they won't be hugely expensive to buy seperately

Heres a complete setup for a decentish price with not too extortionate postage

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Super-Nintendo-consol-SNES-Complete-Setup-/180600500182?pt=UK_VideoGames_VideoGameConsoles_VideoGameConsoles&hash=item2a0ca0efd6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭alpahaeagle

I say try Adverts..I got boxed SNES with @ 7 boxed games for €55 euros. Would not really pay more than @ €80 for SNES with games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Wow they are rip off prices!!!!
    I got my Snes for €20 (not yellowed or anything) with a few games on UK ebay last year and at the same time I got a N64 for €40 with Mario Kart too.

Why the hell is the Snes going for OVER €100????

Master of the Universe

Why the hell is the Snes going for OVER €100????

Because some people are mental, paying those prices and then creating the illusion that the console is worth that. Which leads to more people raising the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Jack Burton should release a self help book. The Jack Burton guide to not paying over a fiver for anything.

pdbhp wrote: »
    Jack Burton should release a self help book. The Jack Burton guide to not paying over a fiver for anything.

He already released two autobiographies though.

1) Jack Burton - How I beat The Auctioneer

&

2) Jack Burton - Big Trouble On Little ebay

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

o1s1n wrote: »
    Because some people are mental, paying those prices and then creating the illusion that the console is worth that. Which leads to more people raising the price.

Yep the 'Final Fantasy VII EXTREMELY RARE! $70' Effect.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There seems to be a waiting list of Snes consoles in RAGE.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Yep the 'Final Fantasy VII EXTREMELY RARE! $70' Effect.

I saw a copy of FFIII and I think FFVII in the window of GameSexChange on talbot st on Saturday 18th Dec for the PS1, they looked like decent enough, no cracks on the cover or anything, I didnt buy them myself but I looked again about an hour later and they where both gone.

Each one was priced at €34.99

I was with a none gamer friend of mine and he just laughted when he saw the price and said 'no matter what, its still second hand!' lol.

It makes me laugh at the prices those games go for considering they are far from rare being some of the best selling games of all time.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

I saw a copy of FFIII and I think FFVII in the window of GameSexChange on talbot st on Saturday 18th Dec ....
    are you from the future? and if so what were fridays lotto results?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭I-Shot-Jr

There seems to be a waiting list of Snes consoles in RAGE.

It would appear I got mine at exactly the right time, the guy in rage was really friendly, its an excellent shop.

I bought my snes for 35 quid with all the cables and a controller. Unboxed but sure I don't need the box to play super mario. Anyone who wants more info on them would probably find it easier to ask on the facebook page, your man updates very frequently and replies to anything anyone asks:

http://www.facebook.com/TheRageDublin

Happy gaming.

are you from the future? and if so what were fridays lotto results?:)

LOL! Stupid brain! I ment last sat, 11th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Col200sx wrote: »

Wow, I ahve one with the box, instructions and everything, got bout 20 games too. Might just stick it up in the attic for the next 30 years.

Could make a mint just in time for retirement!! :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

The standard AV cable from a Gamecube will work on a SNES by the way.

• Advertisement

Make sure you get an RGB cable in the near future or the video quality will be terrible.

Make sure you get an RGB cable in the near future or the video quality will be terrible.

will this make it work on an lcd tv or is this just for better quality on a crt?

It will work on an LCD or CRT with AV composite but on a CRT it will look terrible and on a LCD it will look shockingly bad. RGB gives a vastly superior video output.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

I think the retro game shop in North main st, Cork, sells them for about fifty Euro. Last time I checked he was selling a Megadrive with a game for about fifty. I can't remember what the Snes was going for but I'd guess it would be more or less the same. Keep checking gumtree etc but if all else fails a trip down south should sort you out.

Also, is Rage a new retro shop? Where abouts is Fade st?

Master of the Universe

RAGE is a new record store that tried out selling old games and consoles and they're flying out of the shop. Their trick is just to sell stuff at a reasonable price and not ripping people off.

Plus they also have a fantastic selection. Best place to buy old games and consoles in the country by far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Daith

Oh my, would be so tempted to get a SNES again. Nothing reminds me more of my childhood. Except maybe a SNES controller with a sunken "R" button because of using high kick too much in SFII

Daith wrote: »
    Oh my, would be so tempted to get a SNES again. Nothing reminds me more of my childhood. Except maybe a SNES controller with a sunken "R" button because of using high kick too much in SFII

Default button config? Eugh :(

It was still pretty nasty to play with only 4 face buttons. If you were trying combosyou were very limited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

EnterNow wrote: »

I always but the medium kick and punch to L and R. I don't know how anyone could play with the default setting.

It's unfortunate that every button is essential to playing a good game of street fighter. What ever button you assign to the shoulder buttons is essentially useless for combos. Medium kick for most characters is absolutely essential for crossing up and initiating a lot of characters combos after a jump kick connects.

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »

Eh, I could barley play the game if my character was facing the "wrong" way. Wasnt really worried about combos :)

Still a SNES, Mario All Stars with Super Mario World, ActRaiser, Legend of Zelda, Secret Of Mana. Hmm.....:o

Master of the Universe

Daith wrote: »
    Still a SNES, Mario All Stars with Super Mario World, ActRaiser, Legend of Zelda, Secret Of Mana. Hmm.....:o

Just before you go and get your hopes up, you might want to know the following -

Mario All Stars - Battery backup for saves
    Super Mario World - Battery backup for saves
    Zelda: A Link to the Past - Battery backup for saves
    Secret of Mana - Battery backup for saves

You'll have to change the batteries in all the above games. Some may still have life in them..but I don't fancy getting half way through Secret of Mana only to have my saves vanish!

o1s1n wrote: »
    Just before you go and get your hopes up, you might want to know the following -

Mario All Stars - Battery backup for saves
    Super Mario World - Battery backup for saves
    Zelda: A Link to the Past - Battery backup for saves
    Secret of Mana - Battery backup for saves

You'll have to change the batteries in all the above games. Some may still have life in them..but I don't fancy getting half way through Secret of Mana only to have my saves vanish!

I think I might have them all in my attic actually. But yeah that could be a pain.

Remember playing Link to the Past and getting a power surge on my first play through at the Ice Palace. Wiped out my saved game. Not sure if I would gave the patience to go back now.

Advertisement