Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I stay or go?

Options
  • 13-12-2010 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hello. Looking for a bit of advice or opinions on my current work situation. I work for a company and have done for the past 8 years. The reason i'm there that long is because I used to like working there and they were good to me in different ways. I love the type of work I do but over the years there I have come to really dislike working there to the point right now where I just want to hand in my notice, which I would do if I could afford to live off my savings for a couple of months and straighten myself out. Unfortunately I don't have any savings worth talking about to allow this and I'm not up for the extra stress of finding and starting a new job at the moment especially with the current economic climate. You may think I'm just lazy but this place has eroded and eaten away at me for years, I used to be a great worker, efficient, willing etc., but now I go in, put down the time doing fairly mundane tasks, go home in the evening. I'm not the only one there thinking like this, every day theres someone whinging or moaning about the place, this does'nt help matters and is part of the problem but has been going on pretty much since I started, not nearly to the same extent as now though, i used to ignore such comments and my opinion back then was that if you don't like the place, leave. The reasons for these opinions of myself and my colleagues are mainly due to management attitudes towards staff and work practices, morale is on the floor, the atmosphere there is crap, its depressing. I know I should be thankful for having a job in these times but given the effect it is having on me, I wonder is it worth it. I'm off work today and should be at something else but can't get this out of my head.
    Thanks for your time and any thoughts on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

I hate to say this, but it's all in your head.

I suggest you stop listening to the negative voices and fill your evenings up with fun activities or hobbies. Just look at your job as something you only need to put up with to pay the bills.

If you do decide to leave work make sure you have an exit strategy: either another job lined up, or maybe go on a working holiday if you can save a few thousand. You might also ask your employer for a change of scenery (new job, new role, new responsibilities) to keep your job fresh. Maybe some in-house training, assistance or time off towards further education, etc. Also, make sure to use your annual leave productively. You have over 4 weeks a year so make it count.

Advertisement