Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Dependant are Irish Promoters on UK Fans

Options
  • 13-12-2010 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

Marlay Park gigs, the likes of Metallica, Green Day and The Who. Judas Priest in the Odyssey

Blink 182, Guns N' Roses headlining a sold out Reading/Leeds and then heading over to Dublin for a solo date

RDS Simmonscourt, Punchestown, Fairyhouse and even Slane....venues that hold massive festival type concerts, majority of which are held in the Summer months, and are open air with fans in the thousands.

But how much of an Irish audience attend these performances? I'm a member of a Metallica fan club, and I know people from all over the world who have flown to Dublin to see the band live in Ireland (I've done it myself), because it's complimentary to seeing them as well in either the UK or Europe or even further afield. Some also travel because it's cheaper to go to Dublin then three hours up the road.

With the likes of Ryanair and EasyJet there are flights into Dublin and Belfast for next to nothing booked a few months in advance. Irish music fans travel to the UK all the time for gigs, and I'm not condemning it, but I wonder how many - what kind of percentage - come over here? With the Economy taking a nosedive, to put it bluntly, will this encourage Irish promoters to look towards UK/European audiences even more?

But it's not just Metallica, if you think about the audiences at those gigs, coupled with those who are able to afford a ticket and those who would want a ticket - subtracting those who don't have the time to go or have other commitments - and then adding in the occasional Journalist or competition winner, how dependant are Irish promoters on UK fans attending performances? When Pearl Jam and the likes go on sale do Irish promoters, normally acting in conjunction with their UK counterpart anyway, hope UK fans will scramble for tickets as well??

Does anyone know if there is a survey to show how much traffic Ticketmaster.ie receives from the UK and Europe?

What do people here think:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Dublin is advantageous with the flight links we have with Ryanair, even though for most on the continent it is perhaps easier to simply train it to an alternate city.

There's definitely been a good few cases of bands stopping off in Dublin before or after heading to the UK to play festival dates. Things would have to be in a real bad way if Irish promoters became dependent on fans from further afield but at least it somewhat ensures that rock gigs in The O2 will fill up.

Advertisement