Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New fast food chipper for Ongar!

Options
  • 13-12-2010 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭

I see the finishing touches are being made to a new fish'n'chips/Chinese takeway opening in Ongar village up by the square at the end of the main street. This will be a handy addition to the village food options!

Considering a large percentage of the population of Ongar is made up of people in rented accommodation (renters usually consist of single young people - biggest consumers of fast food), it's a wonder, a chipper hadn't opened years ago but better late then never. I will try to limit my visits to once a month for health and calorie counting reasons!

I'm not aware of an exact opening date yet but I wish the new venture well. DeLucia's is the name so looks like it follows the great Dublin tradition of Italian family run fish'n'chip shops!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Nice. Now all it needs is a betting shop, oh wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭dMaN24

So that's what it's gonna be. Perfect. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Cart before the horse methinks, it needs a pub for a start. A mate used to live there and told me about that yellow building was meant as a pub and then a taxi fella said there's was a pub going in(it never happened).

You can walk to paddocks or clonlee but this is all weather permitting and not the best idea after some liquid refreshment.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

This post has been deleted.

I heard somewhere a few years ago that Manor Park Homes (who built Ongar) had difficulties attracting a licencee to run the pub in the big yellow house. I heard that while pub operators might get good custom on Friday or Saturday nights in this venue, trying to draw enough punters to such a big pub on other nights would be difficult and make the venture uneconomical. This was during the Celtic tiger years so a chance of someone opening a pub during the recession is even less likely.

It's a shame the smaller pub unit at the bottom of the street (next to the barber/florist) did not get occupied though - it would have made a nice local.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Flimbos

ongarboy wrote: »
    I heard somewhere a few years ago that Manor Park Homes (who built Ongar) had difficulties attracting a licencee to run the pub in the big yellow house. I heard that while pub operators might get good custom on Friday or Saturday nights in this venue, trying to draw enough punters to such a big pub on other nights would be difficult and make the venture uneconomical. This was during the Celtic tiger years so a chance of someone opening a pub during the recession is even less likely.

It's a shame the smaller pub unit at the bottom of the street (next to the barber/florist) did not get occupied though - it would have made a nice local.

Also, potential licencees would not like the possibility of another pub right across the street being in direct competition - maybe if Ongar had just one building designated as a pub, there might be a better chance of getting someone in.

The pub in Tyrellstown seems to do well, I don't see why a pub wouldn't do similarly well in Ongar.

On topic, great to see the new place opening up, there are a few empty retail units in Ongar and this will liven up that side of the village.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Flimbos

I was in the village earlier and had a quick chat with the proprietor. They are opening this Thursday. There will be a Chinese and a chipper, when you walk in the door, go left for the Chinese and right for the chipper. Best of luck to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

All well and good but i'm still waiting on the massage parlour they promised...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Always wondered what the big yellow building was meant to be, but yeah it'd be great to have a local there; wouldn't use it for a night out but be great for a few pints when a match is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

I supose clonee and clonsilla are just to inconvinent.

• Advertisement

Got the leaflet (panflet?) Menu... in the mail today.

I'm thinking of ordering from them tonight. Wonder if they would mind sending it together with the delivery from the offlicense. :D

Sorry for doubleposting, but i never ordered yesterday. But i did today. And wow.

I got the Beef Chow mein with chicken balls and curry, and satay chicken skewers as a side dish.

I'm stuffed (and my room smells like a chinese-restaurant :D )

Really speedy delivery. Couldn't have been more than 15 minutes after i ordered. And if you order for more than 10 euro's they give you a 1€ off your next meal-voucher.

Highly recommended.

I wonder if they will join just-eat though?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Polar101

Haven't tried the place yet, but it looks all right. The Chinese does Thai food as well, and the chipper has pizza.. so lots of options there I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

Hmm, don't live out that way anymore, but I used to work in Dunnes and I gained a subconscious mental hatred of the then-incomplete chipper , they took half of the yard on the other side of the complex and we were stuck trying to fit our stock into half as much space as before.

(though in fairness we were only meant to have half that yard, when no one bough that unit we just took it all and got used to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 PurpleBaby

:( Most dissappointed eating out of the fish and chip shop just opened in Ongar village. All i wanted was a Quater pounder and cheese and curry sauce and chips with salt and vinegar. What I got was a barley warm meat buger on a cold bap with so much ktchup i thought i was too. Chips were nice though but not work the 8 yoyos i paid. Curry sauce was disgusting tasted like tomato puree and water with a scent of tumeric. And then as I left I nearly hit the floor as the floor was so greasy i near slipped. dID ANYONE ASK ME IF I WAS OK no they did not. I felt likt i was intruding on their chat time while i was there. I do understand as being one of the few Irish out here that people speak to oinly people they know but i actually felt uncomfortable waiting for my order. Anyway Three kings for me and Macaris in clonee or dunboyne. Much better they are all round..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 paul.

PurpleBaby wrote: »
    :( Most dissappointed eating out of the fish and chip shop just opened in Ongar village. All i wanted was a Quater pounder and cheese and curry sauce and chips with salt and vinegar. What I got was a barley warm meat buger on a cold bap with so much ktchup i thought i was too. Chips were nice though but not work the 8 yoyos i paid. Curry sauce was disgusting tasted like tomato puree and water with a scent of tumeric. And then as I left I nearly hit the floor as the floor was so greasy i near slipped. dID ANYONE ASK ME IF I WAS OK no they did not. I felt likt i was intruding on their chat time while i was there. I do understand as being one of the few Irish out here that people speak to oinly people they know but i actually felt uncomfortable waiting for my order. Anyway Three kings for me and Macaris in clonee or dunboyne. Much better they are all round..

Ok firstly mate The chipper is by far the best around, It beats macaris hands down. Secondly you say you felt like you were intruding on their chat time. :eek:Well SORRY if these people who dont even earn minimum wage didnt roll oyt the red carpet for you when you came in.

Get a life mate, its fast food. If you wanted a chat then you should go out and socialize. Also In case you didnt know ongar and the surrounding area is by far predominantly Irish. Ye you do get a lot of different cultures around here but im Irish and so is my missus and my son. Also as a part of this community id say that more foreigners stop to chat or just say hello than Irish do.

Time to stop feeling hard done by and cop on to yourself. Stop being racist u muppet:rolleyes: Do you really think being Irish entitles you to special treatment? Are you that stupid. Does being Irish make you better than every1 else? Reminds me a bit of HITLER. Are u him?

Lets call a spade a spade here. You went in there and got fast food! then upon leaving you slipped, made a holy show of yourself and came on here shouting your mouth off because you clearly cant even master the art of walking:rolleyes:

If ye want good food go to a restaurant and pay top dollar. If ye want fast food its probrably because your as good at cooking for yourself as you are at walking. Step back and ask yourself DO we need people like you in our society! NO ur a moron with idiotic views and opinions who would burn his final brain cell trying to cook eggs in the toaster.

Paul OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;)

Oh and that pub will be open within the next month for that other poster who was asking

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

paul., we expect a minimum level of civility towards other posters in this forum. If you don't think you can manage that then maybe you shouldn't post here again.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭kranbo

paul. wrote: »
    Ok firstly mate The chipper is by far the best around, It beats macaris hands down. Secondly you say you felt like you were intruding on their chat time. :eek:Well SORRY if these people who dont even earn minimum wage didnt roll oyt the red carpet for you when you came in.

Get a life mate, its fast food. If you wanted a chat then you should go out and socialize. Also In case you didnt know ongar and the surrounding area is by far predominantly Irish. Ye you do get a lot of different cultures around here but im Irish and so is my missus and my son. Also as a part of this community id say that more foreigners stop to chat or just say hello than Irish do.

Time to stop feeling hard done by and cop on to yourself. Stop being racist u muppet:rolleyes: Do you really think being Irish entitles you to special treatment? Are you that stupid. Does being Irish make you better than every1 else? Reminds me a bit of HITLER. Are u him?

Lets call a spade a spade here. You went in there and got fast food! then upon leaving you slipped, made a holy show of yourself and came on here shouting your mouth off because you clearly cant even master the art of walking:rolleyes:

If ye want good food go to a restaurant and pay top dollar. If ye want fast food its probrably because your as good at cooking for yourself as you are at walking. Step back and ask yourself DO we need people like you in our society! NO ur a moron with idiotic views and opinions who would burn his final brain cell trying to cook eggs in the toaster.

Paul OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;)

Oh and that pub will be open within the next month for that other poster who was asking
    paul - don't now what your problem is but people are entitled to their opinion

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

kranbo, I've already dealt with this, there is no need for you to add your comment.

One was left mildly sppechless for few moments having read pauls comments, however, i am NOT bothered by his silly insults, thankfully I have good food knowledge and as much as I love a nice restaurant, being a fine dining chef, and not in a position where i would have access to junk food on a regular basis there is a time every now and again in a womans' life when one just craves a big fatty burger and chips. Yes I was very dissappointed with this place, hot food and curry sauce is all i wanted, in relation to making a fool of myself i dont believe this to be case, i would be more concerned with the possible law suit and intervention of the FSAI from the owners point of view than for any other reason. I assure you my lovely husband would disagree with the racist comment, he is sitting here laughing at me now even bothering to reply, Him being a very handsome will smith look alike. ok not really will smith but in my head thats what i will stick with. each to their own, it is not my place to comment on pauls attitude towards me as we are all entitled to our opinions, his words spek louder than he can imagine, this man does not know me from adam or eve for that matter.
    I wish the propriator well in Ongar, but a few improvements are in my educated opinion much needed.

Happy eating,
    PurpleBaby,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mustang68

When they opened did they have the word Pizza on the sign and they covered it over recently, or is that my imagination?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭ongarite

Haven't used the chipper part of the new fast food outlet in Ongar but I have gotten food from the Thai section and have been very impressed with it so far.

Excellent service & quality of food from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I've had no complaints with the food so far the few times I've used it and they seem friendly enough to me when they served me. I have not tried their pizza yet - would anyone recommend them?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭robbie000

I have tried the chipper and chinese impressed with both. i have had a pizza made up which was very nice and not to dear. I didnt like the chicken filler burgers as basically they are taking a frozen big als breaded chicken fillet and deep fat frying it. I think if you are getting a chicken fillet burger is should be fresh chicken fillet cooked there and then but thats just my preference and they do show you a picture of the fillet cooked in bread crumbs so I knew they wernt cooking a fresh chicken fillet.

But basically a good chipper and chinese. Word of advice one bag of chips would do two people they give you that much in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 paul.

Ok sorry about that so. Firstly I thought you were a bloke and secondly I thought you were a racist.

I take back my bad attitude towards you and comments.

I get my back up when I hear people going on about race and interpretted you wrong. Sorry bout that:o

thanks for that Paul. so with all the positives i am hearing i am gonna try it again over the weekend i will go for the exact same order and see if maybe my slip and the staff attitude affected my decision on the food.
    I do hope the pub opens soon though cause i for price of txi to twelft lock i could have few more beers in me..
    Happy easter everyone easy on the chocoolate, moment on the lips lifetime on the hips and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 brianodub

I've only eaten from the chipper part. And i wasn't impressed. Just had a quarter pounder and chips. Greasy chips and a rubber burger.
    Macari in Clonee is far better IMO.

The new pub looks just about ready to open though, which is good news!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

based on Paul's post...i feel that i will OUT of that shop as fast as i can.
    i hope u r not associated in any way with the trade !!

as far as i remember,few months ago,used to be a bakery,beside the news agent ! they have applied to get planning permission for a chippie but got turned down by the estate owner !then,the owner itself tried to get something up and failed,also the bakery went out of business...
    weird connections...

one is now wondering if paul is associted with the new pub opening ???

• Advertisement

in relation to bakery, prices were not competitive with the likes of dunnes and lidl but the poduce was top quality, so i guess this played a part in its closure, hopefully business in the area will start to strive with the opening of the pub. in relation to licenseing in the area its very difficult politics i belive, brown envelopes required and so on for planning permissions in some cases. I was going to re-open the bakerey myself but trust me its not an easy process so i gave up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement