Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco appalling customer service in Lucan & Tallaght

Options
  • 13-12-2010 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Bought 2 bottles of El Chucaro white wine in Tesco (Lucan) 5 weeks ago (4 euro each).
    When I brought them home, I discovered the top of one bottle was cracked and chipped, and couldnt be opened.
    When I tried to open the other, the top chipped and cracked, but I ended up using it anyway.
    I have been opening bottles of wine for years, and this never happened, so its obvious there was a fault with these bottles.
    Two weeks later, I was in the Square in Tallaght, so brought the unopened one back in there.
    Customer service refused to give me a refund for it, because I bought it in Lucan, so told me I had to go back to Lucan with it.
    Then today, I finally got back to the Lucan store, but I was told by the customer service rep, that I could not get a refund, because it was gone past the 28 days (by a week).
    I was very annoyed, considering this was my second effort to return it.
    I asked for the manager, so I explained the whole situation to him again.
    He didnt care, and insisted that was policy, so he also refused me a refund, but tried to lead me to believe that he was doing me a great favour by allowing me to exchange it for the same bottle.
    I explained that I didnt want the same bottle, because, it was likely the same thing would happen again.
    He refused to refund me my 4 euro.
    I was disgusted, along with other customers who were in the queue.
    I think I should have got a refund, regardless of being one week over the 28 days, as the product was faulty?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 5dollakarl

Tesco.Tallaght.Lucan. What did you expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭tevion

5dollakarl wrote: »
    Tesco.Tallaght.Lucan. What did you expect?

Just my 4 euro back for a faulty bottle of wine to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

http://tescocomments.com

You shouldn't have been refused in Tallaght, refunds can be processed at any Tesco store. You also might have taken a chance on a different bottle of wine because now you still have a 'definitely faulty' bottle of wine over a 'maybe' off the shelf.

http://tescocomments.com

You shouldn't have been refused in Tallaght, refunds can be processed at any Tesco store. You also might have taken a chance on a different bottle of wine because now you still have a 'definitely faulty' bottle of wine over a 'maybe' off the shelf.

Muppet of a store manager would only give me the same bottle, I would have been happy with a different bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

Refund, Replacement or Repair. They chose a replacement. I hope you didn't start shouting your rights to the manager.

• Advertisement

Dymo wrote: »
    Refund, Replacement or Repair. They chose a replacement. I hope you didn't start shouting your rights to the manager.

No there was no shouting.
    I just said it was an absolute disgrace getting the run around like that, for the sake of giving a refund of 4 euro.
    Some customer service.
    Wont be shopping there again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 marset

In Tescos Youghal at 10pm wed, I picked up a few items and went to the checkout, the young cashier asks if I need a bag, I just had enough cash to pay for the items, I said no thanks I left my bags in the car, I'll put them in the basket and take them out to my car, cashier says you are not allowed to take the basket out of the store, we only have 10 left, people are stealing them so you can either buy a bag or go out to your car and get your bags. I was shocked, I said I can assure you I dont plan to steal the basket, she says rules are rules sweetheart, if I allowed you to take the basket out, I would have to allow everyone to do the same. Another customer was waiting behind me while I received my strict instructions. I said I am a customer not a thief and not to call me sweetheart that its very patronising. She was a young woman with a "more than my jobs worth" attitude. I wont be shopping in Tescos again

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

marset wrote: »
    In Tescos Youghal at 10pm wed, I picked up a few items and went to the checkout, the young cashier asks if I need a bag, I just had enough cash to pay for the items, I said no thanks I left my bags in the car, I'll put them in the basket and take them out to my car, cashier says you are not allowed to take the basket out of the store, we only have 10 left, people are stealing them so you can either buy a bag or go out to your car and get your bags. I was shocked..........

In fairness to Tesco the basket policy is in place for years in Tesco and all other supermarkets I'm aware of, people do steal them. The employee doesn't know who you are so your word is pretty meaningless.

If you forgot a bag then either buy a bag, go back to your car to get one or just carry the items out in your hands.

Tesco haven't really done anything wrong here, you imho made a unreasonable request to remove an item which is forbidden to be removed.

Finally alot of baskets have tags attached to them so if you do try take them out the door alarms sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

In Tescos Youghal at 10pm wed, I picked up a few items and went to the checkout, the young cashier asks if I need a bag, I just had enough cash to pay for the items, I said no thanks I left my bags in the car, I'll put them in the basket and take them out to my car, cashier says you are not allowed to take the basket out of the store, we only have 10 left, people are stealing them so you can either buy a bag or go out to your car and get your bags. I was shocked, I said I can assure you I dont plan to steal the basket, she says rules are rules sweetheart, if I allowed you to take the basket out, I would have to allow everyone to do the same. Another customer was waiting behind me while I received my strict instructions. I said I am a customer not a thief and not to call me sweetheart that its very patronising. She was a young woman with a "more than my jobs worth" attitude. I wont be shopping in Tescos again

How would she tell that you would be true to your words and bring the basket back? Obviously, if they only have 10 left, people have been taking them and it means other shoppers have to make do without them. The employee did nothing wrong there

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

This seems perfectly reasonable on Tescos part imo. Why did you not bring your bags in with you :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

marset - to be honest, I don't see your complaint. Tesco's rules are their own and they don't allow people to take baskets out of the store.

Anyway, I'm closing this thread as it's originally from 2010.

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement