Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning Regime - Moly Coated Rounds

Options
  • 13-12-2010 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭

Hello all,

For those of you who shoot moly coated rounds just wondering what your cleaning regimes are? How many rounds per clean? Solvents/products used? Would you fire 'normal' ammo between cleans or would you have to clean out moly coating in barrel first? I presume it would be more beneficial for accuracy to maintain use of molys once started and not to mix and match? One would have to remove ALL copper and carbon fouling prior to using molys also? Maybe this should be in Target forum? Seem to be popular with target shooters allthough becoming popular in hunting rounds also so decided to stick it in here.

Thanks
    Sika

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

sikastag wrote: »
    Hello all,

For those of you who shoot moly coated rounds just wondering what your cleaning regimes are? How many rounds per clean? Solvents/products used? Would you fire 'normal' ammo between cleans or would you have to clean out moly coating in barrel first? I presume it would be more beneficial for accuracy to maintain use of molys once started and not to mix and match? One would have to remove ALL copper and carbon fouling prior to using molys also? Maybe this should be in Target forum? Seem to be popular with target shooters allthough becoming popular in hunting rounds also so decided to stick it in here.

Thanks
    Sika

in my .223 Moly only, Never Clean :eek:
    I only use MOLY in the .223, the .308 I use reg rounds and clean after use.

The best thing to remove Moly is heat. If you leave a few rounds in your hand for ten minutes you will see what I mean

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭sikastag

in my .223 Moly only, Never Clean :eek:
    I only use MOLY in the .223, the .308 I use reg rounds and clean after use.

The best thing to remove Moly is heat. If you leave a few rounds in your hand for ten minutes you will see what I mean

Never clean it??? Heat? :confused: How would you apply 'heat' to a cleaning regime?
    Do you use moly for targets or hunting? Would you not find after a certain ammount of rounds without cleaning that it would affect your grouping?

Never clean it??? Heat? :confused: How would you apply 'heat' to a cleaning regime?
    Do you use moly for targets or hunting? Would you not find after a certain ammount of rounds without cleaning that it would affect your grouping?

Moly melts when heat is applied, it is a lube after all.

My groups are getting smaller not larger <although I think they could have peaked>

I use them for hunting, 55grain Hornady V-Max .223
    They do not allow copper to foul, and every time you fire a shot you remove some old and deposit some new

I have not cleaned my barrel in over 3 years if I remember correctly
    3 shot group 100yards (calm day)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Doesn't Moly left in the barrel atract moisture?

I know most users of it recommend Kroil for removing it.

Tack,

Dont like the idea of not cleaning my rifle to be honest. I know excess cleaning isnt good either.

• Advertisement

Doesn't Moly left in the barrel atract moisture?

I know most users of it recommend Kroil for removing it.

Yeah I can imagine it wouldnt be the easiest stuff to get out. Toying with the idea of molys, Do a nice bit of paper punching. Thought the molys may improve accuracy and reduce cleaning to say every 100 rounds or so?

Yeah I can imagine it wouldnt be the easiest stuff to get out. Toying with the idea of molys, Do a nice bit of paper punching. Thought the molys may improve accuracy and reduce cleaning to say every 100 rounds or so?

I have put a bore scope down my barrel and she is perfecto.

if it's not broken.................

Ok. Thanks.

Anyone else have any experience with them? Basically just wondering is it worthwhile changing over or are they only worth it if youre firing thousands of rounds?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

its not as easy as it sounds.

If you want to shoot moly coats, you have got to clean your barrel free from copper and powder fouling. I mean "FREE".

Then you have to break in the barrel with moly rounds.

You cannot switch back to non moly after breaking in and conditioning the barrel for moly without cleaning all the moly out first.

Moly was a fad i think that started in target shooting circles that has faded away

Jonty wrote: »
    its not as easy as it sounds.

If you want to shoot moly coats, you have got to clean your barrel free from copper and powder fouling. I mean "FREE".

Then you have to break in the barrel with moly rounds.

You cannot switch back to non moly after breaking in and conditioning the barrel for moly without cleaning all the moly out first.

Moly was a fad i think that started in target shooting circles that has faded away

Cheers Jonty,

Would there be an optimal cleaning time (rounds fired per clean) for accuracy when using molys? Or is it like tack said? Once the barrel is conditioned for molys shoot away until you wish to remove it?

Done a bit of research since and seems the cleaning 'out' of the moly involves some elbow grease among other things. Very happy with accuracy of my rifle at the moment. Just thought the molys might improve it even more (or certainly extend the 'lifetime' of the accuracy between cleans) and were it a considerable improvement then maybe the extra work/effort with the molys would be worth it. Have a number of different brands I am happy with (accuracy wise) that are non moly so the changeover may not be worth it.

• Advertisement

Cheers Jonty,

Would there be an optimal cleaning time (rounds fired per clean) for accuracy when using molys? Or is it like tack said? Once the barrel is conditioned for molys shoot away until you wish to remove it?

Done a bit of research since and seems the cleaning 'out' of the moly involves some elbow grease among other things. Very happy with accuracy of my rifle at the moment. Just thought the molys might improve it even more (or certainly extend the 'lifetime' of the accuracy between cleans) and were it a considerable improvement then maybe the extra work/effort with the molys would be worth it. Have a number of different brands I am happy with (accuracy wise) that are non moly so the changeover may not be worth it.

a rod down every 100 rounds or so if you wish.
    Seriously my accuracy has only improved, I know some serious target shooters who are very finickie about cleaning, the more you clean the more variation some see.

.223 .220swift .243 .25-06 and a few others I believe would benefit from Moly.

I have used Moly for years, and she only has improved in accuracy.

The bunnies never complain!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Cheers Jonty,

What pisses me off about it is the fact that once set up for moly you can't use cheaper ammo such as American Eagle or UMC

cheers lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭rob308

And this is the reason why one shouldn't buy a second hand rifle:eek:

rob308 wrote: »

And this is the reason why one shouldn't buy a second hand rifle:eek:

Have you seen my rifle? More accurate than a brand new one;)

Advertisement