Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What now constitutes abuse on boards?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

So now you cant even call someone delusional on boards.ie without getting banned.....Someone needs to bring some common sense back to this place, I find it very hard to read these days when almost every other thread features a moderator making a post in bolded letters threatening posters with bans and infractions for insignificant stuff or ordering them to keep on topic when they have barely digressed from the main issue. This site has been overmodded for a few years now, and it's increasing all the time.

There have been times when I have wanted to join a discussion but when I started typing it out I kept thinking 'what will the moderator make of this' or 'this will probably get removed or Ill get threatened with a ban'....so I just haven't bothered. And Im not talking about laying personal insults into someone, just normal heated discussion...one thing I really hate these days is whenever a discussion gets in any way heated (which is generally the sign of a good discussion online and irl) you have mods sticking their oar in and threatening people...sometimes they do it if a discussion merely shows signs it might become heated. It just really puts people off posting when you have to constantly worry about whether the moderator is going to get on your case over it, like you were some young lad in school.

Seriously, stand back and look at this thread again...someone has been banned off a forum for calling someone else delusional. Jesus christ. You have already lost the poker community because of the overly bureaucratic and authoritarian nature of the site these days, have you not learned that people dont like to be constantly bossed around all the time on an internet forum...we get enough of that at work every day from the boss.

I think you need to read the actual thread being discussed or, pay closer attention to the posts in this thread. the user wasnt banned for using the term delusional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Des wrote: »
    so what if someone gets offended, they probably did say something stupid and deserve to be called on it.

Well, can they not say that what the user had posted was "stupid", rather than just attacking them and declaring them to be a 'stupid' person?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Well, can they not say that what the user had posted was "stupid", rather than just attacking them and declaring them to be a 'stupid' person?

they wont learn nothing then

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Earthhorse wrote: »
    I agree, but I also doubt anyone really makes the distinction between delusional and deluded in practise. Perhaps that's just me though.

If someone chose to mete out punishment based on the words used they'd do well to make the distinction. That wasn't the case here though, as has been explained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

stupid people post stupid things.

Usually to troll.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

there's far too much cotton wool on Boards this past two years or so.

so what if someone gets offended, they probably did say something stupid and deserve to be called on it.

Thank you. There are too many pussies on Boards, waiting to pounce on anything they can ascribe as abuse. Unless someone comes out and calls you a dirty cheating sonofawhore why the flock would you care what some random spod on the internet called you, why would you be offended?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Thank you. There are too many pussies on Boards, waiting to pounce on anything they can ascribe as abuse. Unless someone comes out and calls you a dirty cheating sonofawhore why the flock would you care what some random spod on the internet called you, why would you be offended?

And why would someone need to call you that?

What is wrong with expecting a little bit of civility?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

If someone chose to mete out punishment based on the words used they'd do well to make the distinction.

My point is that they wouldn't make the distinction in the first place.
    That wasn't the case here though, as has been explained.

I'm aware of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

I don't think anyone is advocating going that far. But I really do think you should be able to call a spade a spade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

I don't think anyone is advocating going that far. But I really do think you should be able to call a spade a spade.

You cant call a spade a spade because its code word for ******. Spades are black.

There is no consensual reality on boards when it comes to what is abuse and what is not abuse.

• Advertisement

You cant call a spade a spade because its code word for ******. Spades are black.

:confused:

stupid people post stupid things.

Usually to troll.

So, the answer is to allow them to be called a "stupid" person?

What if I think what you just said was 'stupid'.

Should I just be able to post:

"You are a stupid stupid person".

As for someone being a 'troll'. If a user thinks someone is a troll, then they can report their posts and let the Mods decide if they are trolls or not.

So, if I now said in response to the above:

"You are a moron for thinking that".

That's cool?

The point is, attacking the poster instead of the content of a post stifles debate and just leads to a slanging match.

I can't believe that some of these views are coming from Mods to be quite honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

:confused:

It has racial over tones for n*gger.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Look, personal abuse has no place on an internet forum.

Yea, its all fine saying that people need to swallow a spoonfull of cement and harden the fcuk up - but most people come here to enjoy the experience, and not have some idiot posting on here as if it were the comments section of youtube. I dont want to read widepsread slagging matches between people. Nor do i want some keyboard warrior attacking me in a personal manner because i think Brian Cowen is the greatest Irish patriot since Chris De Burgh - ok, my opinion might be stupid, but im entitled to hold it

So there is a line - attack the post not the poster. Is being accused of being delusional in the context of a specific debate a personal attack or an insult?

No

News to me tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

What are you on about? No it doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I can't believe that some of these views are coming from Mods to be quite honest.

Excuse me? Last time I checked I wasn't a mod in Feedback.

Anyway, sorry to burst the perception of all mods toeing a party line, it doesn't happen.

I think this website panders to the sensitivities of people who are "offended"* too much.

a. people who aren't really offended, but pretend to be offended to get the person who they have failed to argue a cogent point with infracted or banned or otherwise "in trouble" so it looks like they've "won" the argument

b. people who get offended on behalf of others, these are the worst, the "Oh you can't say that, that group over there, of which I am not part, might be offended by it" brigade.

c. people who stir and stir and stir a ridiculous standpoint, and when someone finally snaps and calls them on it they sit back and lol all the way to the reported post button. Actually I hate these idiots more than any other trolls. Hiding behind the "well that's my opinion and I'm entitled to it" excuse. No, no it isn't your opinion, not really, you are just pretending to hold this controversial opinion to see how many people you can rile up and then run to the mods when they call you "delusional" for thinking that, even though you don't really think it.

Excuse me? Last time I checked I wasn't a mod in Feedback.

What are you talking about?

I am saying that I am surprised that some moderators on Boards (not of Feedback) think that calling someone "stupid" (for instance) should be allowed.

Attack the post and not the poster is something I thought all mods would have subscribed too.
    Anyway, sorry to burst the perception of all mods toeing a party line, it doesn't happen.

It has zero to do with "toeing the party line" and that is not why I am surprised that some Mods are expressing the views they are.
    I think this website panders to the sensitivities of people who are "offended"* too much.

So do I, just not with regard to this issue.
    a. people who aren't really offended, but pretend to be offended to get the person who they have failed to argue a cogent point with infracted or banned or otherwise "in trouble" so it looks like they've "won" the argument.

Sorry, but it is the user that resorts to insults that is usually the one that has failed to argue a "cogent point" in my experience.
    b. people who get offended on behalf of others, these are the worst, the "Oh you can't say that, that group over there, of which I am not part, might be offended by it" brigade.

I agree, but that has little to do with this topic.
    c. people who stir and stir and stir a ridiculous standpoint, and when someone finally snaps and calls them on it they sit back and lol all the way to the reported post button.

Blame the victim of the "baiting" and "abuse"??

Again, if someone has such a "ridiculous standpoint" then it should be easily dismissed without resorting to insulting "comments" and general "baiting".
    Hiding behind the "well that's my opinion and I'm entitled to it" excuse. No, no it isn't your opinion ..

How do you know what someone opinion is and isn't?
    ..not really, you are just pretending to hold this controversial opinion to see how many people you can rile up and then run to the mods when they call you "delusional" for thinking that, even though you don't really think it.

See, I would think that opinion is the annoying one.

You assume that because you or another user doesn't agree with someone or respect their point of view, then they must be a "troll" and so you should be entitled to be able to attack them and not their posts.

Well, I hope that never happens.

If we are going to protect celebrities from being abused on this site, then I see no reason why we shouldn't also extend that courtesy to it's members also.

RasTa wrote: »
    What are you on about? No it doesn't.

It does - in america

A "Spade" had been a derogatery term for African Americans since the 1920's

Nothing wrong with civility. I can be called a gob****e and it is not offensive anywhere in the real world. Why would being called delusional be. My point is this:

There is no good reason for people getting offended, most of the time. It is pure pettiness to hit the report button because you got called a nitwit or whatever.

• Advertisement

So, if I now said in response to the above:

"You are a moron for thinking that".

That's cool?

The point is, attacking the poster instead of the content of a post stifles debate and just leads to a slanging match.

It's not "cool", but I wouldn't be offended by it either. I agree on a lot of your points, but I still offer that there is too much pandering to the serial offended.

How many times does it have to be posted that PL was NOT banned for calling a user delusional, in fact Admin have stated that on this thread and in the DR.

They have also stated that the word itself is not inherently abusive either:

:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69539754&postcount=3

Look Pete. I did not state anywhere that delusional was used as a reason to ban a poster. But on this very thread is a post from a mod who regards its use as abuse.

Look Pete. I did not state anywhere that delusional was used as a reason to ban a poster. But on this very thread is a post from a mod who regards its use as abuse.

Fair enough, apologies - I thought you were suggesting that was the reason for the ban.

snyper wrote: »
    It does - in america

Good grief. Happily we are not in america. Also there are many other derogatory terms out there, but the aforementioned is not one..

The phrase "call a spade a spade is not a racist or derogatory one.

'Apophthegmes, that is to saie, prompte saiynges. First gathered by Erasmus' - translated in 1542:

"Philippus aunswered, that the Macedonians wer feloes of no fyne witte in their termes but altogether grosse, clubbyshe, and rusticall, as they whiche had not the witte to calle a spade by any other name then a spade."

This refers back to Plutarch's Apophthegmata.

Good grief. Happily we are not in america. Also there are many other derogatory terms out there, but the aforementioned is not one..

The phrase "call a spade a spade is not a racist or derogatory one.

'Apophthegmes, that is to saie, prompte saiynges. First gathered by Erasmus' - translated in 1542:

"Philippus aunswered, that the Macedonians wer feloes of no fyne witte in their termes but altogether grosse, clubbyshe, and rusticall, as they whiche had not the witte to calle a spade by any other name then a spade."

This refers back to Plutarch's Apophthegmata.

Im not referring to the phrase "to call a spade a spade" - that is not a racist term

Im referring to the term "spade" which is derogatery
    spade (spd)
    n.
    1. Games
    a. A black, leaf-shaped figure on certain playing cards.
    b. A playing card with this figure.
    c. also spades (used with a sing. or pl. verb) The suit of cards represented by this figure.
    2. Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for a Black person.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It's also in use in the UK and I heard it from older types here too. Comes from "black as the ace of spades" IIRC.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Good grief. Happily we are not in america. .
    Im not referring to the phrase "to call a spade a spade" - that is not a racist term

Wibbs wrote: »
    It's also in use in the UK and I heard it from older types here too.

Mr Wibbs is indeed correct :p

Think I first became aware of it when I was around 14, most likely from this scene:

Mobile against TV, excuse the quality ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Think I first became aware of it when I was around 14

I was around 12, from Police Academy. Also: jigaboo. Deeply racist film.

But the posts were in reference to the use of the phrase "a spade....etc"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Mr Wibbs is indeed correct :p
    The world would go a lot easier for me and ye* if ye* took that as an effin given. :D

*Apologies, but the lack of an acceptable plural "you" in modern English is a PITA and though I am a Dub born and bred for many generations back, "youse" is a bridge too far. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement