Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

christmas cake

Options
  • 13-12-2010 5:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

can i use lemon extract instead of a lemon rind in a christmas cake? if so how much? or how do i get rind from a lemon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Not sure about the lemon extract, but we always just grated the lemon on the smallest holes of a cheese grater to get lemon rind.

Might get a definite response in the food and drink forum, I'm no expert!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I would say no. Lemon extract will give the whole cake a lemon flavour. Just use the smallest side of your grater (wash your lemon first!) Or I find Parmesean graters are a perfect size for rind grating.

Yeah, rind is just the outer skin of the lemon. Usually lemons you buy in the shops have a waxy coating, and also are generally dirty, so as has been advised already just make sure you give it a good rub under some cold running water, then grate it using the smallest section of your grater.
    Using lemon extract will cause a number of differences, the main one being you wont know how much to use.

Advertisement