Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Proper retro 1st computer

• 13-12-2010 5:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭

Quick poll What was your 1st machine you had

Starting to feel old as mine was the videopac:eek:

800px-Philips_Videopac_G7000.jpg

1st ever games computer 102 votes

Atari/Videopac
    0% 0 votes
    Spectrum
    17% 18 votes
    Commodore
    26% 27 votes
    Amstrad
    23% 24 votes
    Oric
    10% 11 votes
    Amiga
    2% 3 votes
    Nintendo
    1% 2 votes
    Sega
    7% 8 votes
    Sony
    7% 8 votes
    Atari Jaguar :-)
    0% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Only someone as old as yourself would refer to 'Sega' and 'Nintendo' as games computers :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

o1s1n wrote: »
    Only someone as old as yourself would refer to 'Sega' and 'Nintendo' as games computers :p

They were released in the 80s so they are retro and a lot of peoples 1st experience with gaming

So there :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Amstrad CPC 464. It was great, and I won't hear any different :p

The giant monitor of doom (ever dropped one?), the giant keyboard.. of doom. The loading noise. What a machine.

Amstrad CPC 464. It was great, and I won't hear any different :p

The giant monitor of doom (ever dropped one?), the giant keyboard.. of doom. The loading noise. What a machine.
    What this thing ?

never into the amstrad myself had a speccy and a commodore though

Amstrad_PC_micro_computer_64x.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Ahhh yes, the ORIC-1, the ginger stepchild of 8-bit computing, how I miss thee.

Nate

• Advertisement

Right whos parents didnt love them and bought them an oric? :D

ORIC-1-PC-1983-2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Atari 2600 & Pinball, my good ol nan (rip) introduced me to video games when I was a youngling. Where she got the idea from I'll never know, but what an idea :cool::)

EnterNow wrote: »
    Atari 2600 & Pinball, my good ol nan (rip) introduced me to video games when I was a youngling. Where she got the idea from I'll never know, but what an idea :cool::)

There were different versions of the 2600 if i remember right always liked the Atari played it on my uncles but never owned 1

atari2600.jpg

There are quite a few versions. Mine was the Junior, small little black console, 4 buttons, silver trim. Where it went to baffles me, I must ask about that :rolleyes::p

There are quite a few versions. Mine was the Junior, small little black console, 4 buttons, silver trim. Where it went to baffles me, I must ask about that :rolleyes::p

this the 1?

sys_Atari2600JrB.jpg

• Advertisement

Sparks43 wrote: »
    this the 1?

sys_Atari2600JrB.jpg

Thar she blows, it was an awesome sight to a 6/7 year old kid in the 80's I tell ya :cool:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,889 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Would I be right in saying that Europe only ever got the junior? I think the woodie was US only and Europe only got the 2600 when it was rereleased after the crash?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I clicked Speccy as it was the first computer I had but in the 70s I.had a series of electro-mechanical games machines, a space invaders clone etc.
    I spent time with a neighbours pong console, a cousins Vic20 and fiddled with a ZX81.
    Love the speccy though, wished I had a C64, laughed at the rich kids with the Amstrad.
    I found it quietly disturbing that some people own up to the Playstation being their first but remember with time this will gently, insidiously become the PS2 as the first "games computer" Bugger!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I clicked Speccy as it was the first computer I had but in the 70s I.had a series of electro-mechanical games machines, a space invaders clone etc.
    I spent time with a neighbours pong console, a cousins Vic20 and fiddled with a ZX81.
    Love the speccy though, wished I had a C64, laughed at the rich kids with the Amstrad.
    I found it quietly disturbing that some people own up to the Playstation being their first but remember with time this will gently, insidiously become the PS2 as the first "games computer" Bugger!

Ah the Spectrum classic
    rcm-027.jpg

With games like
    Manic Miner

manic_miner--article_image.jpg

Dizzy
    Dizzy-The_Ultimate_Cartoon_Adventure.png

Commando

Commando.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,889 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Don't forget the 'zombie flesh' feel of its keyboard.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Don't forget the 'zombie flesh' feel of its keyboard.

Never felt zombie flesh so i will take your word for it :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Rexelac

Would I be right in saying that Europe only ever got the junior? I think the woodie was US only and Europe only got the 2600 when it was rereleased after the crash?
    Definately had the Woodie version of the 2600 when i was a kid

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Speccy followed by a C64... Damn I loved those machines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Our first 2600 was the all black one, like a woodie, only not woodie.

oooh, apparently, A Vader!! My brother played Pacman on it for 12 hours, maybe a crap version but truly a thing of beauty back then.

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Never felt zombie flesh so i will take your word for it :P

If you've used a spectrum then you'd know it's the only way to describe it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

I beat you all!!!!!!!

The Grandstand Video Entertainment System. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have a woody 6 switched PAL 2600..
    I also have the all black "vader" 2600. Interesting thing with that was they were actually made here, in Ireland! So the sticker says.
    Great thing about retro gaming/collecting is gathering together all the great consoles you ever owned or, more likely, wish you owned, a retrospective wish fulfillment if you like.
    Hence my beautiful Vectrex!

And, yes the Speccy did have a zombie flesh keyboard, part of the character really, better than the plus variants that followed.

I have a woody

Am I the only one who this makes snigger? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

464plus.jpg

ah, my first true love.. How I miss her.. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,732 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

80s, eh?
    I had a basketball.

Also, some DOS PC & a Megadrive in the early 90s.
    You guys are old. :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Sord M5->Atari 800xl->C64->consoleland (so I guess the c64 is the first thing I could tick on that poll)
    The sord was inherited from a cousin and was a bit rubbish but had a fantastic teach yourself BASIC style manual.The Atari was probably my favourite but you just couldn't get games for it by the late 80's ,so I traded up for a beige bread bin.That lasted until about 91 when I went mega-drive...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Rexelac

I also have the all black "vader" 2600. Interesting thing with that was they were actually made here, in Ireland! So the sticker says.
    QUOTE]

Back in the early 80's Atari had a plant in Limerick

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Commodore 64 for me, But i had a game called Astro Wars first, it was a small silver box with a joystiq and a button on it. they had one down at Game On. Loved that thing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Rexelac wrote: »
    QUOTE]

Back in the early 80's Atari had a plant in Limerick
    yup later became the Dell plant afaik.
    There's a version of the 2600jr that was only released in ireland as well(Atari 2600 Jr. - Black, no silver stripe).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

grandstand-astrowarsdg.jpg

This was as close as we got to "computers", was put up on the top shelf by mid january as "it gave me epilepsy" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭tribesman78

Going to say the Atari 2600. I have another from before this you plugged it in to your TV and it ran on big massive batteries but i can't find a name for it. It played Practice, Football, Tennis and something else with two controllers that were like dials. Basically was two line and a dot going back and forth.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭tribesman78

minikin wrote: »
    grandstand-astrowarsdg.jpg

This was as close as we got to "computers", was put up on the top shelf by mid january as "it gave me epilepsy" :)

A classic. I still have it. I remember getting it for christmas over 25 years ago and i loved it, Played it for hours on end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Going to say the Atari 2600. I have another from before this you plugged it in to your TV and it ran on big massive batteries but i can't find a name for it. It played Practice, Football, Tennis and something else with two controllers that were like dials. Basically was two line and a dot going back and forth.

Wasn't it just called a TV game, binatone did one, grandstand did one, maybe someone has the proper name for it on here? We had one of those, it had a light gun!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

cant remember which came first in my house ... the Atari 2600 or the Amstrad 464 ....prob the Amstrad.

either way I remember letting the tape load ...only to return 20mins later to ..."Read Error A" or something like that ...telling you to rewind the tape and try again.

Dizzy !! ...oh dear gawd !!!!...its beeen ages since I saw a screenshot of that.

PS. My parents GAVE the Amstrad away only a year or two ago.....was still working...hundreds of tapes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Would be great to get it on the iphone!
    My brothers weren't too impressed that I wrecked their present from santa claus!

• Advertisement

When Atavan comes along, Sony will get at least one vote :pac: INteresting results all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

My first was an Atarinot sure wich one i rember it was before carts it was tapes took about an hour for a game to load and most of the time it would not load 1st try it would fail just at the end so most of the time it took mabe 3 hours to load some game that my brother would knock of if he kepet geting killed :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

When Atavan comes along, Sony will get at least one vote :pac: INteresting results all the same.

I thought he got a 360 before a PS3, no? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭dinnyman

The Mitsubishi MSX - MLF80.
    A present from Santa (Peats on Parnell Street)

Best game was Chucky Egg!

Mitsubishi_MSX_MLF80.jpg

An MSX. Weird, you don't see to many of those unless you are from Holland. Some damn good games on it but most are japanese.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,732 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

not a "computer" but bloody awsome :)

you could get an add on to play atari 2600 games

ColecoVision.jpg

ntlbell wrote: »

ColecoVision.jpg

I've got one of those!
    The video output is ropey, I'm wondering if it's the caps.
    How do you test/see if they need replacing?
    I also have the 2600 add on!
    And that works perfectly, I wonder if it's worth something?

My favourite game on it was Looping, but it's Donkey Kong was amazing, streets ahead of the one on the 2600.
    Visually it looks very like the Intellivision, don't you think?
    Intellivision.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭alpahaeagle

My first machine swa the Speccy, use to sit for hours typing in the programs from C&VG I think, or some speecy mag. Next the C64 another great machine. I then moved on to the Atari ST and Amiga 1200. All good memories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭raddo

Mine was an Amstrad CPC 464 but with the dreaded green screen!!
    On some games you could choose green screen or colour.
    Remember playing snooker and waiting for ages for it to load only to find out that colour screen was selected instead of green!!
    Couldn't see a thing, reload again!
    Loved it at the time though especially Manic Miner.

My first machine swa the Speccy, use to sit for hours typing in the programs from C&VG I think, or some speecy mag. Next the C64 another great machine. I then moved on to the Atari ST and Amiga 1200. All good memories.

The 2 mags i used to program out of were Your Sinclair and Spectrum User

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I've got one of those!
    The video output is ropey, I'm wondering if it's the caps.
    How do you test/see if they need replacing?
    I also have the 2600 add on!
    And that works perfectly, I wonder if it's worth something?

My favourite game on it was Looping, but it's Donkey Kong was amazing, streets ahead of the one on the 2600.
    Visually it looks very like the Intellivision, don't you think?
    Intellivision.jpg

I only ever met one other person who had one the excitement getting to swap games :)

I don't own mine anymore but I have seen some in pretty good nick on ebay I have been tempted a few times.

I always taught they were intellivision's? but renamed for europe

frenzy was my favorite :)

Coleco-Frenzy.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

Ahhh yes, the ORIC-1, the ginger stepchild of 8-bit computing, how I miss thee.

Nate

Yeah, I had one too. Always felt I was a bit uncool until I saw an Atmos behind Moss in series 2 of the IT crowd and suddenly it was +1000 nerd points. Lack of software made me learn how to code and I never looked back. Still have it up in my Ma's.

/wipes away tear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

I'm looking at the poll and the Spectrum is on top which is great, Funny though as when I was a kid in the 80's nobody in my class had the spectrum or heard of it. It was all C64 and the odd Amstrad.

My first computer was the Spectrum +2 and I still own one in original packaging and I'm very proud of it. Playing Treasure Island Dizzy on it there yesturday and boy is it frustrating:D.

My second machine was an Amstrad 464 plus followed by a Amstrad 6128 plus. A brief encounter with an Amiga and then the mid 1990's kicked in and got a pc like everyone else seemed to be doing :(.

I have an Amiga 600 though which I use to type up Documents for my work and I print alot of them out directly from it to the Dot Matrix printer :P. I like my Amiga, it's my old buddy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

ntlbell wrote: »

ColecoVision.jpg

Dear Lord you just brought a serious load of memories swimming back, Ladybud was the shit!. I think I could only manage to get as far as Horse Radish though, the fooker was too fast for me! :D

Donkey Kong was class too and looping was amazing. This was a **** hot console in the day, virtually impossible to find games for though. I always wonder why the controllers looked like phones. :D

Thanks dude ya just reawakened my childhood :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement