Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Proper retro 1st computer

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Sparks43 wrote: »
    this the 1?

sys_Atari2600JrB.jpg
    I just found my brother's one, it's perfect but no games :/ ah well
    EnterNow wrote: »
    When Atavan comes along, Sony will get at least one vote pacman.gif INteresting results all the same.
    That's lousy :3 lol we're almost the same age but mine was the C64 ~<3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭pawrick

mine was the C64 Terminator 2 box (still have but a bit tattered on the corners)- but I really wanted an amstrad at the time that was in my local game store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Feelgood wrote: »
    I always wonder why the controllers looked like phones. :D

I was convinced there was away to ring and play other users, I was ahead of time :D no one ever answered tho :mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

my first one was a pong type machine but i can't for the life of me remember the name of it
    it was one with 2 paddles on curly telephone cables with just a dial and a red button
    the box had a switch for going between "tennis", "football" and "squash" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Dizzy
    Dizzy-The_Ultimate_Cartoon_Adventure.png
    FCUK YOU DIZZY!!!:mad:

My uncle had an Amstrad & Commodore I used to play the whole time but my 1st woulda been the Atari ST (well really my sisters but I claimed it as my own :pac:).And I got Treasure Island Dizzy with it (the reason for my rage towards that fcuking egg)
    a130st.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

ntlbell wrote: »
    I was convinced there was away to ring and play other users, I was ahead of time :D no one ever answered tho :mad::mad:

I can see it now, you, sitting in a playroom, talking into the controller, waiting for a reply, while you parents look on, tearfully wondering what the future could possibly hold, shaking their heads as their dreams of you as a brain surgeon fade away... ;)

Ah well, people who owned Atari Jaguars thought it wasn't a phone, but rather a piece of sh1te, the big difference between them and you is, they were right!

(aside from Tempest 2000, pure shooty genius)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I thought I was an awesome hacker with my C64. If you type at the start prompt 'Hack AIB bank' you will get a message saying 'Illegal Error'. Thought I was hacking into them. Yesyou can tell I'm not a programmer and I didn't even have a modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭gymman39

vic 20 and my first game was omega race

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Captain Commie

first machine i ever had was a C64, loved that thing, with tape and 5 1/4" floppy drive. Would love to get my hands on one again, just for teh craic of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Anyone remember this one :D

My first experience with a C64

• Registered Users Posts: 19 kepler_johan

dinnyman wrote: »
    The Mitsubishi MSX - MLF80.
    A present from Santa (Peats on Parnell Street)

Best game was Chucky Egg!

Mitsubishi_MSX_MLF80.jpg

heh there, do you still have the mlf80? I've got one myself with a dodgy keyboard and looking for parts/replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

rowtron_televisioncomputersystem_2.jpg
    surprisingly I know or a few people with this system in the early eighties
    NAME Television Computer System
    MANUFACTURER Rowtron
    ORIGIN United Kingdom
    YEAR ? 1981
    BUILT IN SOFTWARE / GAMES None
    CONTROLLErsc Two controllers with 12 buttons and an analog joystick
    CPU Signetics 2650A
    CO-PROCESSOR Signetics 2636 (Video controller)
    RAM Unknown
    GRAPHIC MODES Unknown
    COLOrsc 8?
    SOUND Single channel beeper
    I/O PORTS Cartridge slot, Video output (UHF channel 36), Power input
    MEDIA Cartridges
    NUMBER OF GAMES At least 21 cartridges were released
    POWER SUPPLY 15v DC, 8 VA, - -(o- +
    PRICE £79.95

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

There was one on adverts a while back, it might not have been exactly that but it looked very very similiar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Lorfarius

Mine was a Commodore 16. Remember pestering my parents for ages to get some sort of computer mainly because a neighbour had a Speccy 48K. It only last 8 months as the power brick dropped off the edge of the table and broke, parents couldn't afford to replace it :( Was several years before I got a different computer.

At least I got to play classics like Cops n Robbers and Mr Puniverse before the C16 died!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Ah the Speccy 48k, and Manic Miner....
    But one of the first I got extended play on was an Atari computer with membrane keyboard, the 400 I think.
    Also my cousins Vic 20 got some play, I really want one of those, along with a matching C64, plus a couple of flash carts, loading times are not fun people!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Ah the Speccy 48k, and Manic Miner....
    But one of the first I got extended play on was an Atari computer with membrane keyboard, the 400 I think.
    Also my cousins Vic 20 got some play, I really want one of those, along with a matching C64, plus a couple of flash carts, loading times are not fun people!

I am one of the sad sad people who enjoyed loading times

Just love that sound

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Err, PS1 or Gameboy Colour count?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

I also started out with the 'friendly computer'

VIC-20_friendly_brochure_p1.jpg

TJ Hooker wouldn't steer you wrong:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Got an original 2600 second hand at Christmas in 1988 I think (may have been 87).

atari2600a.jpg

It broke after a month or two and we got a reissue 2600 for under fifty bucks!

Picture%20095.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

No Dragon 32 on that list. I remember writing a game in basic on that in school.. ( should have stuck with games writing) a very very loooooooooooong time ago..

• Advertisement

Err, PS1 or Gameboy Colour count?

Don't worry about getting your coat, we'll forward it to your address, in the gutter, just leave quickly and quietly, thanks....

As I have said before, there will be many people around for whom the first computer/console was either the family PC, PS2 or 360.
    In a couple of years we'll have retrogamers whose first exposure to video games was the Wii!
    Thankfully, I will be past caring, drooling, no bowel control, and unable to use the remote control for the telly, just like now actually bar the bit about the remote...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

It broke after a month or two and we got a reissue 2600 for under fifty bucks!

]

Under 50 bucks,under 50 bucks,now isn't that nice
    Loved that ad

I badgered the oul pair for a 2600 but got a c64 instead.Educational values and all that. Much better system anyway

Advertisement