Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much for Garmin map upgrade

Options
  • 13-12-2010 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

Have a circa 2007/08 Garmin Nuvi with UK, Ireland and western Europe maps on it. It was a display model in DID and I got one free map upgrade with it but there all still loads on gaps on the Irish roads.

Wondering is it more cost effective to buy a new unit or get new maps after Christmas. Would ideally like the latest maps for a possibe holiday in France next Summer.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

There are different options available
    http://www8.garmin.com/updatemaps/
    If its an older device sometimes its better value to get a new unit.
    If its fairly new look at the nuMaps lifetime

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I'm in the same boat, have a Nuvi 250 but am worried that if I buy the lifetime upgrade that my unit will run out of memory and I'll have to go from all of Europe to just one region.

There's also the issue that the TMC (traffic) data is now available for Ireland (Dublin initially) which is probably going to swing it for me to buy a new unit.

http://www.dublincity.ie/tmc

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭leonil7

you'll never run out of memory for your nuvi 250. just put your newer maps in the SD Card. that's the reason why its there.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

leonil7 wrote: »
    you'll never run out of memory for your nuvi 250. just put your newer maps in the SD Card. that's the reason why its there.

Are you sure about that? I have a vague memory of testing this for a friend of mine and I think I recall that even with a blank 2GB SD card in the slot it would not download the map update to the card so I had to choose a single region to install because the base unit memory couldn't take the maps covering all of Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

coylemj wrote: »
    Are you sure about that? I have a vague memory of testing this for a friend of mine and I think I recall that even with a blank 2GB SD card in the slot it would not download the map update to the card so I had to choose a single region to install because the base unit memory couldn't take the maps covering all of Europe.

works with a 4 gig card

• Advertisement
Advertisement