Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Winter Tyres

• 13-12-2010 5:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭

I currently have Avon Ranger tyres on my Sorento. It performed very well in the cold spell recently and last January but having had a few scary moments on the ice, I'm wondering if it might be a good idea to get winter tyres.. Probably be cheaper than fixing a prang. I drove a 4x4 around Iceland in early April so I've a fair idea of the difference they make to driving.

Because I'm pretty happy with what I have and my local tyre place stocks the brand, I looked at these.

http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/4x4/ranger-ice

any other suggestions or recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

IF your local tyre place can get those tyres then I would try them out, but the last tyre guy I spoke to said that winter tyres were like hens teeth at the moment, and that all the factories are actually making their summer tyre stock at then present time.
    So if you can get them get them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Correct me if I'm wrong but on black ice most tyres will loose grip. WInter tyres or all terrain tyres (which I use) will give good grip on snow or compacted snow but I reckon on black ice there just isn't anything to grip to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Correct me if I'm wrong but on black ice most tyres will loose grip. WInter tyres or all terrain tyres (which I use) will give good grip on snow or compacted snow but I reckon on black ice there just isn't anything to grip to.

No, there is still grip. And what little of it there is, the winter tires will get more of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Surprisingly, even on black ice there is grip with the right tyre/vehicle/drive combination.
    Last winter I was on a moderately steep hill and a woman in front of me was stuck in an Avensis with 3 kids, just spinning and going nowhere.
    I had reasonably fresh BFG AT KO's fitted and I stopped to give her a tow.
    When I got out to hook her up I could hardly stand up on the ice but when I locked the centre diff and took off I towed her uphill 400m no problem at all with not even a hint of wheelspin on my part.
    Now bear in mind that my old 90 series LC is by no means the most technologically advanced 4x4, it doesn't even have ABS brakes! let alone traction control.
    Now just last week I had a 180 deg spin on black ice, I was only doing 15mph so didn't do any damage but I wonder was that due to another years wear on the rubber?

Advertisement