Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Allardyce Leaves Blackburn

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,423 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

orourkeda wrote: »
    I dont get this "attractive football" lark.

Surely it's about playing football that gets results within the laws of the game.

Thats the problem with the Premier league.
    The stakes are so high,so much money is involved that over half the teams are resorting to puke football.
    The standard of football in the EPL is shockingly bad.
    Allardyce plays awful football but he was keeping Blackburn stable enough with hardly any money.
    It seems a strange decision to sack him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Tom_Brady wrote: »
    Big Sam's own twitter gives us a more significant insight:

Jaysus, that Twitter account almost has more followers than a regular attendance at Ewood Park. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

I dont get this "attractive football" lark.

It seems to be a Midlands/Northeast thing, where the lack of crowds is perceived to be due to the 'hit and hope' nature of the football being played.

Owen Coyle's got Bolton playing some lovely football. Allardyce always seemed to veer more towards the statistical/'numbers game' side of football, the 'agricultural' approach as they say.

Hughton would be a great choice, sure this has been mentioned already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

I was saving this big bag of magic mushrooms for midnight mass on Christmas Eve, but **** that. I'm beating into them.

That's genius stuff outta whoever set up that account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Thats the problem with the Premier league.
    The stakes are so high,so much money is involved that over half the teams are resorting to puke football.
    Allardyce plays awful football but he was keeping Blackburn stable enough with hardly any money.
    It seems a strange decision to sack him.

Blackburn are playing to their potential and it will be something of a surprise to see them finish much higher than they did last year regardless of what brand of football they play.

I just wonder if this "attractive football" draws them into a relegation battle will they start using "dig out a result" cliches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

markesmith wrote: »
    It seems to be a Midlands/Northeast thing, where the lack of crowds is perceived to be due to the 'hit and hope' nature of the football being played.

Owen Coyle's got Bolton playing some lovely football. Allardyce always seemed to veer more towards the statistical/'numbers game' side of football, the 'agricultural' approach as they say.

Hughton would be a great choice, sure this has been mentioned already.

There was more to my post than that but surely a pragmatic approach and using the resources at your disposal effectively is more important than anything else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

mike65 wrote: »
    Ambitious owners eh?

With their £5m war chest for the Blackburn manager I highly doubt they could be called ambitious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

There was more to my post than that but surely a pragmatic approach and using the resources at your disposal effectively is more important than anything else

Noted. And I concur with cson, that Twitter account is very funny:
    "It would be difficult to accurately calculate the force with which I used to slap her face."
    :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

I'm absolutely sick over this. He's gonna end up on Sky Sports now every week as a pundit, he's fcukin unbearable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Well it's no worse than anywhere else tbh. Serie A might be technically accomplished but alot of the games can be mind-numbingly boring in terms of entertainment, and the excellence of Barca and Real masks the fact that there are some pretty ordinary teams in La Liga aswell.

Anyway I can't say I've much time for Allardyce, seems to have a very over-inflated opinion of himself, but it's still a poor decision to sack him now as he had Blackburn doing about as well as he could have with limited resources. If the new owners had any cop on they'd at least have given him until the end of the season so as to maintain a bit of stability, then if they're not happy bring in a new man in the Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Just like with Newcastle, expect B'Burn to go backwards after sacking Big Sam!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Just like with Newcastle, expect B'Burn to go backwards after sacking Big Sam!

*ahem*

Newcastle 3-1 Liverpool

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

cson wrote: »
    I'm as surprised as you are that Big Sam is being drafted in for José. That loss to Barcelona aside they are having a good season. Then again didn't Big Sam say that if he got the reins at a big club he'd be hosing trophies all over the gaff.

Yep, he also had an interview on off the ball about a month ago, claiming similar. He said that as recent as the summer, he had his people all over europe trying to get him a gig. Spain would not touch him is what he said. He did not sound all cave man with his attitude to football on the interview, very keen on the science and research side.

He sounds a bit up himself. A fergie wannabe, with the chewing gum. He might not play pretty football, but with Bolton, he was a blight to Arsenal. He is not a bad manager and has done very well, with exception of Newcastle.

His players seem to like him. He can be entertaining, even if a bit up himself.

Silly decision

One thing I always laugh at is his complaining about the lack of english players and managers getting the top clubs. Yet at Bolton, he filled the club with foreigner players (brilliantly)

Maybe he will come back to the league of ireland and save it lol (seriously, i would sign him in a heartbeat)

Was Dave Basset England Manager based on him?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

A tragedy for lovers of football everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

tommyhaas wrote: »
    I'm absolutely sick over this. He's gonna end up on Sky Sports now every week as a pundit, he's fcukin unbearable

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

That_Guy wrote: »
    *ahem*

Newcastle 3-1 Liverpool

Meant after Allardyce left your club!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Now old Sheep's Head has gone, that makes tonight's United/Arsenal game even tastier. His teams always rolled over for Utd and played their hearts out against other title contenders - so his departure is worth a couple of points bonus at least for Arsenal and Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

PDN wrote: »
    Now old Sheep's Head has gone, that makes tonight's United/Arsenal game even tastier. His teams always rolled over for Utd and played their hearts out against other title contenders - so his departure is worth a couple of points bonus at least for Arsenal and Chelsea.

Gotta disagree with that.

Our games against Blackburn have been benefit matches and Blackburn beat/drew with Chelsea last year iirc and I know for a fact Bolton won at Old Trafford a few seasons ago cos it cost me a large return on a bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Personally I'm delighted. Hate watching his teams...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Apart from a 0-0 draw against United at the end of last season, eventually finishing second to Chelsea by 1 point?

I guess what I'm trying to say here is that you're full of shít.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Well he clearly didn't roll over last year at Ewood.

That_Guy wrote: »
    *ahem*

Newcastle 3-1 Liverpool

*ahem*

I think he's talking about this:

newcastle-relegated.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

Chris Hughton as next Blackburn manager?

Anyone know the odds?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

How come there's no mention of the upcoming vacancy at Inter. Allardicio gets his chance to show Mancini, Mourinho and Benitez how it's done..

Hopefully Inter do not get United in the CL so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭hitman79

Chris Hughton as next Blackburn manager?

Anyone know the odds?

11/1 not a hope of him getting it tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,528 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

As they say oop North, flamin 'eck.

It's managerial silly season now.
    What's the latest from the managerial merry go round?
    Keane sacked from Ipswich, replaced by Hughton, Keane to Balckburn Big Sam off to take over from Rafa at Inter.

Sometimes football is fvcking stupid.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

More than likely been posted already but it's worth it.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRzp5FiK-ZVJ8pR0ekE7bvtVmzv1frPQqCSZszp8ZBktrbOXhOh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

another reason foreign ownership should be banned

bloody indians, what do they know about football, they havent been met sam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

another reason foreign ownership should be banned

They took our jibs i tells ya.

You dont have to meet Sam to dislike him. I'v never met him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭pavb2

All the same he must be worth a few quid, how long was his contract at N'castle? + payday from b'burn

pavb2 wrote: »
    All the same he must be worth a few quid, how long was his contract at N'castle? + payday from b'burn

Yea but think of his out goings, he must spend a fortune on chewing gum and head sets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,988 ✭✭✭doc_17

what a horrible football person he is. Dioufs barges into the keeper against Fulham a month ago summed up his style of play. Good riddance to rubbish

Madrid or Barca awaits..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I've been trying to find out what happened. The reason going around at the minute seems to be that Sam Allardyce handed in a list of players to John Williams of players he would like to sign in January. Williams spoke with the owners and they told him that they were working with Kentaro on signings for January. Allardyce was given this list and he didn't want anybody off it and got sacked because he wouldn't agree.

These new owners looked like a godsend only a couple of weeks ago. They seemed like sensible business people who wanted the club to grow. It was very clear that they didn't know anything about the game. I got worried when I heard rumours about them hiring Kentaro to get them up to speed with what the Premier League is all about and how a club should be run. They have John Williams who is one of the greatest chairmen in the history of the Premier League there so I don't have any idea why they felt they needed to go outside the club for tuition and help.

I just don't understand how they could be so foolish at this stage of the season. If they wanted to bring in a new manager then they should have waited until the summer. This club has been making a profit in the transfer market over the last couple of years. Sam Allardyce came in to the club almost exactly two years ago and took us out of relegation and kept us in the Premier League. Then last season he brought us to 10th place despite having to sell our players of the season from the previous two years.

Since Big Sam came in we have brought in some young players who have worked out well for us. The young players at the club starting getting chances to show what they can do and we've unearthed not one but two outstanding centre backs, one of which has been playing as a defensive midfielder all season. Thats Phil Jones. The other Grant Hanley has been injured up until this week. We've seen a player who was dismissed by previous managers start to show himself as a very promising player in Martin Olsson. We've seen Sam get a work permit for Junior Hoilett who seemed to be on his way out of the club without getting an opportunity. He has come in and this year in his limited time shown huge improvement on when he first arrived back from Germany last season. This all shows a club in progression. The club that was desperately in need of some cash to find that creative player in the middle of the park to knit everything together. Thats all that was needed and this team would have been moving forward again this season. We already have more points than we had after 19 games last year.

I'm shocked and stunned by this. It appears we have caught the Newcastle virus and that does now bode well for the future of the club. I'm actually worried about relegation now. You just don't bring in somebody new to a club in the middle of the year and expect everything to be ok. It takes time to install a new system and it takes a lot of money to bring in players to suit a new system.

I've always said I'd have Mark Hughes back here in a heartbeat and I could see that working out if he did come back as he has history with a lot of the players and he would be given the time by the fans to get things right. Otherwise this move is just silly and it stinks of inexperienced owners playing around with a new toy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Maybe SAF will give him a job..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

No way will Blackburn get Hughes back, compensation for Fulham couple with Sam's compensation won't happen with those owners.
    I could see someone currently unemployed going in there.

JPA wrote: »
    No way will Blackburn get Hughes back, compensation for Fulham couple with Sam's compensation won't happen with those owners.
    I could see someone currently unemployed going in there.
    He has to be under pressure in his current job. I'd imagine he doesn't like it being down in London so much either.

ferfuson did his post match interview with sky and they asked him all the qs they deemed appropriate and back to the studio but then a minute later Keys and gray break off coverage and say let's go back to ferguson. Apparently he told the sky interviewer to ask him about it so he could condemn the sacking. I can see why he's annoyed tbh..utd might have to try and beat blackburn in the future instead of sams teams lying down in front of him.

• Advertisement

doc_17 wrote: »
    ferfuson did his post match interview with sky and they asked him all the qs they deemed appropriate and back to the studio but then a minute later Keys and gray break off coverage and say let's go back to ferguson. Apparently he told the sky interviewer to ask him about it so he could condemn the sacking. I can see why he's annoyed tbh..utd might have to try and beat blackburn in the future instead of sams teams lying down in front of him.
    Oh yeah I forgot all about that draw with United at Ewood Park last year which the pundits claimed was the turning point in the title race in Chelsea's favour.

Really its amazing the amount of dumb comments and thoughts people have about football sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

utd might have to try and beat blackburn in the future instead of sams teams lying down in front of him.

last season doesn't ring a bell then :confused:

eagle eye wrote: »
    Oh yeah I forgot all about that draw with United at Ewood Park last year which the pundits claimed was the turning point in the title race in Chelsea's favour.

Really its amazing the amount of dumb comments and thoughts people have about football sometimes.

I know! I read yours all the time on the liverpool forum!

Surely the turning point was when Chelsea went to ot in april and won to go top of the league? You know, the team that actually won the league?

But baiting and taunting aside.......

They are big buddies and ferguson seems to be really annoyed about it. I find them strange bedfellows (shudders) as they have nothing in common. One of them is a very successful Scottish manager whose team plays nice football and the other is an (extremely) unsuccessful english manager whose side play horrible football.
    So what have they in common?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Stupid decision by Blackburn. I don't really like Allardyce, but he's a proven commodity in the Premiership and he'd have kept a fairly modest Blackburn squad in the league with a bit to spare IMO.

flahavaj wrote: »
    Stupid decision by Blackburn. I don't really like Allardyce, but he's a proven commodity in the Premiership and he'd have kept a fairly modest Blackburn squad in the league with a bit to spare IMO.

Totally agree with you. They could get dragged into relegation territory now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I know! I read yours all the time on the liverpool forum!

Surely the turning point was when Chelsea went to ot in april and won to go top of the league? You know, the team that actually won the league?

But baiting and taunting aside.......

They are big buddies and ferguson seems to be really annoyed about it. I find them strange bedfellows (shudders) as they have nothing in common. One of them is a very successful Scottish manager whose team plays nice football and the other is an (extremely) unsuccessful english manager whose side play horrible football.
    So what have they in common?

Whats wrong with sticking up for someone you're friendly with, especialy when they've been harshly treated in this case? And why is them being friends that outlandish? You really think their differing styles of football would preclude them from being friendly? Why do you care?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

This sillyness really iirks me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Maradona moving up the bookies list fairly rapidly.

Oh please let it be true :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

hes overrated..he had his go at the big club he always wanted, and made an arse of himself......hell be back on TV now again I guess....maybe thats worse...

now Coyle at Bolton, there is a man for the future...

tred wrote: »
    hes overrated..he had his go at the big club he always wanted, and made an arse of himself......hell be back on TV now again I guess....maybe thats worse...

How did he make an arse of himself? He was hounded out of a circus by the fans (that also hounded a great man like Sir Bobby Robson out of the club) because he wasn't playing entertaining enough football for them. Ironically Newcastle were relegated shortly after whilst Allardyce went on to secure Blackburn's Premier League status and then secure a top half finish. Also, the dross Newcastle serve up now (hoofing the ball to Carroll and/or Ameobi) is worse than anything Allardyce produced there although it is effective. I'm no fan of Allardyce but the only people to make an arse of themselves during the time you're referring to was the Newcastle supporters who hounded him out.

Whats wrong with sticking up for someone you're friendly with, especialy when they've been harshly treated in this case? And why is them being friends that outlandish? You really think their differing styles of football would preclude them from being friendly? Why do you care?

Why do I care? I like watching football. The way that man gets his teams to play would make you vomit. Fevers an ok manager but never as good as he thought he was himself

• Advertisement
Advertisement