Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you ever said your username out loud and been embarrassed?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

anniehoo wrote: »
    What!You're still Dudara arent ya?Damn subscibers and their name changes.Recognise the pic cant for the life of me remember the username for deffo now.

Nope. Dudara's still around by the looks of it - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=21075 !

Wish I was an all powerful mod though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I don't.

But my friend 'Passion Fingers' does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

i never actually got the opportunity to introduce myself as 'The Wrath of CuLt' :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Wibbs wrote: »
    overheard two women lurker types.........my handle was mentioned. .

Wah Hey! Geddit?

Adam wrote: »
    i never actually got the opportunity to introduce myself as 'The Wrath of CuLt' :(

I wouldn't be too upset, Adam has the same vibe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No. But it is odd when someone else calls you by your username in non-boards company. Like a colleague did at the Christmas party...you know who you are.

I don't know if everyone else was more confused that he'd said it, or that I'd responded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

I wouldn't be too upset, Adam has the same vibe.
    you're sweet

Wibbs wrote: »
    It's weirder overhearing your username in public. Was in a pub with a few mates and while a mate was getting his shout in at the bar, he overheard two women lurker types discussing Boards, specifically PI and my handle was mentioned. Hotfooted he came back to tell me this so I sauntered(I generally do, sometimes even sashay) to the bar and listen to their convo about how one of their situations(the verrrry cute one) mirrored one on here and how I was giving good advice. I started to stand a little straighter and check myself in the mirror behind the bar. Right up to the point where the cute one said "yes she gives good advice alright". Bollocks. :mad: "Pint of Jemmy and a funnel please barman":D:D

I've also been stood at a bus stop lost in my own thoughts and Admiral of the fleet walked by saying "Oh hello Wibbs". Took me about ten secs to register that one. In fairness even if he'd used my name it would have taken 5 secs.

I always thought you were a chick.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

I've never been embarrassed myself but people shouting across the bar "Hey Master" have certainly been embarrassed :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

anniehoo wrote: »
    What!You're still Dudara arent ya?Damn subscibers and their name changes.Recognise the pic cant for the life of me remember the username for deffo now.

If you go into someone's profile it says their previous usernames in the "About Me" section ;)

As for the OP, I'm never embarrassed to say my actual username, more embarrassed to admit who I actually am :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Ghetto Cornetto

No regrets. Had a few funny reactions from it over the years.

Ghetto Cornetto. God, that's so much fun to say.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

How would __________ of said their's?

Either "underscore, underscore, underscore" or by just standing there in silence, I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I met the user Errrr! at a beers. When I asked her her username, I just thought she was a bit thick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Yes, won tickets to the GAA in Croke Park through boards a few months ago and they were left in the ticket office under boards usernames.... I'd say the lads behind the desk were having a good laugh at some of the names. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Ghetto Cornetto

Ghetto Cornetto. God, that's so much fun to say.

We should become a crime fighting duo with names like these.

boneyarsebogman and Ghetto Cornetto.

I dunno, I can't see us striking much fear into anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Only one person I think knows mine. Must go to one of these beers things and embarrass myself soon (nothing to do with boards name!). When is there one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

Not really..
    Cause everyone just calls me Waz.
    I guess three syllables is just too much effort :)
    I always thought you were a chick.
    Nah.. big, hairy, beardy bastard he is..:P

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭VampiricPadraig

I am more used to be called "Vamp" than Padraig. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

I'm on my third boards ID. I stopped using the first one years ago and couldn't remember the username or email when I came back to boards. The second one was stupid so I dumped it. This one probably isn't much better, but it suits. I wouldn't mind saying it out loud, but I've never had to. I don't like telling folks who I am. Even in real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

my work colleagues recently copped that i'm boards a good chunk of the day, even though i'm a diligent worker might i add :cool:. this has resulted in me getting slagged repeatedly if i'm banging angrily on the keyboard in a vain effort to prove someone wrong on the internet. i dont need this on top of the rest of my worries.

one sly devil managed to sneak a peak and only copped the biffo part of the name. que hilarious attempts of them trying to figure out exactly what it is - i wont bother repeating any examples.

either way - the only time i'll be saying my (tbh ill thought through username) out load is when i say "yes, yes you f'ucking have my username now, it's thebigbiffo, you've me rumbled well done yada yada" and i shall then cancel the account and start anew so as to foil their attempts at being able to tell when i've been posting on boards like a man possessed.

damn boards and damn addictive arguments:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

I've had to stop reading this thread because I'm on the verge of bursting out laughing and think I'm getting funny looks from those around me already, great stuff :D

I got very sick of my old username, partly because it was the kind of thing a 10-year-old would think was cool, partly because it isn't really true any more ;) and partly because EVERYONE said it wrong! Sadly I still have it as my email address, so I spell it out instead of saying it and hope nobody notices what it says :o

This name I'm much happier with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Daemos wrote: »
    I've had to stop reading this thread because I'm on the verge of bursting out laughing and think I'm getting funny looks from those around me already, great stuff :D

I got very sick of my old username, partly because it was the kind of thing a 10-year-old would think was cool, partly because it isn't really true any more ;) and partly because EVERYONE said it wrong! Sadly I still have it as my email address, so I spell it out instead of saying it and hope nobody notices what it says :o

This name I'm much happier with

Mm, I concur.

DaPoolRulz, lolz;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

When I went to my first Street fighter tournament, it was a bit weird that everybody called each other by their boards names and gamertags. People verbally calling me "Dunjohn" felt odd but I'm used to it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Well usually the words "Your so.." is moaned in breathy delight before my username is said aloud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

No, but the other day i actually said the word LOL to someone.:o:o

What's Benga?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

BengaLover wrote: »
    No, but the other day i actually said the word LOL to someone.:o:o

OMG :P

• Advertisement

Did you say El-Oh-El or lawl?

What's Benga?
    bengal lover.
    love of bengals.This is the breeder we get ours from.
    http://www.wwbengal.com/wildwaters.html

You're missing an L so.

then it would be BengalLover,, wouldnt look the same..:D:D:D

BengaLover wrote: »
    then it would be BengalLover,, wouldnt look the same..:D:D:D

Of course it wouldn't look the same! :pac:

Benga sounds like an old lady's name so it's like you're admitting your love of grannies. That coupled with your avatar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

To people who know SFA about the EU my username must seem a bit weird. It probably sounds like it's about being in love or something, in fact it's more political than anything else. So I wouldn't be too embarrassed about it, though I might have to explain it.

My username on some sites used to be RedStar1916 though... cringe...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Benga is a dubstep artist.

I never feel embarrassed saying my Boards name, it's my real name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭yeahimhere

only said it out loud once & the person thought i must have miss heard the question. Kinda like the person with the Err! User name!

I more lurk than post so never really have the occassion to say it more often. I'm happy in the knowledge that no one knows who i am :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Daemos wrote: »
    EVERYONE said it wrong!

I feel your pain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Every. Single. Time. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Bought something off Adverts and the guy over the phone kept calling me Orang-age two, he kept calling me it even after I told him to call me John - Everytime he said it i cringed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭tudlytops

Not my user surname and don't see why I would say it out laud or get embarrassed by it.

But i did have to correct all this work that a girl had done wrong at work and was having trouble with a particular section of it, and suddenly shouted out really laud "you bitch", the whole office stopped and stared at me....:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Frada, regardless of pronunciation you've made me think you're hot. Cos even with a Santy hat and beard Mourinho's hot. Confusing :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Never been embaressed to say my username, but always get the same reaction "ohhh YOU'RE Abi". Recently changed my username, they still call me Abi =/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

How am I supposed to remember people when they keep changing their names? What's Mordeths name this week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

kowloon wrote: »
    How am I supposed to remember people when they keep changing their names? What's Mordeths name this week?

Holly Cantrell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Well this is something I clearly didn't think through when picking my username.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

no not for one second

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Johnny Tightlips1

I aint saying nothing.

Advertisement