Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2010 Highlight?

• 13-12-2010 6:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

We've had a couple of team threads knocking around, but whats been your personal Martial Arts Highlight from 2010?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

Getting to roll with Terere in Cork was one ill remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

Thats a tough one. But I have two big highlights of my best year yet:

1. Getting my Bluebelt off Matt Thornton on March and becoming one of Irelands youngest, one of my proudest days definatly!

2. Getting to roll and chat with one of my BJJ Idols, Ryan Hall in september.

Twas a great year anyway :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

ITF World Championships in Korea in June/July. Super trip!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

yomchi wrote: »
    ITF World Championships in Korea in June/July. Super trip!

Read your report in Irish Fighter, sounded fantastic.

Martial Arts wise, well this year I've been in the doldrums with injury in the second half of the year, and if I'm to be completely honest about it - fighting a little depression, lack of motivation and apathy.

But onwards and upwards, I've still goals to achieve and targets not yet reached.

I'm always thinking along competitive lines, so maybe I'm a little harsh on myself sometimes.. On a more personal level since completely my level one coaching course with the IJA/Coaching Ireland I've taken huge pleasure in helping some beginners through their first steps on their Judo journey, seeing them successfully through their first gradings and small success'es in competition.

To repeat myself 'onwards and upwards' - roll on 2011.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭NG-DOC

getting to roll with terere, saulo, xande and justin rader were all some of mine.

competing at the worlds was really cool too.

but i guess being handed a bjj school by one of the nicest guys ever probably tops them all :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭da-bres

In order:

Getting to the quarter finals at the euros,

Getting my blue belt,

Winning the british open at blue belt,

Winning my MMA debut.

:)

Onwards and upwards for 2011

Boa breslinho

EnjoyChoke wrote: »
    We've had a couple of team threads knocking around, but whats been your personal Martial Arts Highlight from 2010?

and yours!? :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Highlight personally- getting my purple from Robert Drysdale in the summer.

Highlight coaching...ly- watching my guys getting their blue belts on the same day. First ones I'd trained and for a lot of them, long overdue.

It's been a busy year for me and I've really enjoyed my year's training. I've met some great people. I've got to roll with Drysdale, Abmar Barbosa for a week, Rafael Mendes, Guilherme Mendes, met and trained with Cobrinha. I've got some new training partners, I've got more guys training in my gym then before. We've entered every single tournament and for a small team I think we've done really well. I'm looking forward to next year, starting with the Euros and then straight into the Dublin Open, Ulster Open, Munster Open, Irish Closed, Irish Open and 3 Informed Performance Submission Tournaments too. I can't wait.

It's a great time to be training BJJ in Ireland with all the new and exciting young players coming through the ranks. I'm delighted to be a part of it. Wish I was a decade younger sometimes, but delighted nonetheless.

Barry

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭lukeyjudo

2010 Highlight?

It's been my most succesful year as a martial artist so choosing just one highlight is not possible.

I've only recently come to realise just how much martial arts permeate every aspect of my life and how much I love it so I've a few highlights...

In no particular order

Winning the Dublin Open Absolute.

Winning the Irish Open -76kgs blue (my first time in BJJ at that weight)

This year was the first time in my life I had to be disciplined when it came to my weight and that was an achievement in itself! :) It was nice not to lose weight by dehydration alone for once!

Getting to be part of the fight team at SBG with an international calibre of fighters was awesome and long may it continue. I am proud to represent my team with honour and respect and thank everyone at SBG for the rolling and sparring sessions! :)

Bringing my little brother (Irish Judo Champion 66kgs) down to SBG and have JK help him with his groundwork was memorable for the both of us.

Introducing Kev "Smash" Doyle to the grappling circuit... and what an expolsive entrance. Expect big things out of him in 2011.

The entrance to the cage on my MMA debut for SBG at the fight before Christmas was an absolutely unforgettable entrance (fight was pretty good too ;) ).

Seeing as this will go down in history as the year Coolmine BJJ was formed it has been an absolute labour of love laying the foundation blocks for a club that will leave an indelible mark on martial arts in this country.

I've trained all over the World in some of the most succesful dojo's in their respective countries, I've seen what it takes to build a succesful team and when we started Coolmine BJJ I decided take every positive principle I can from each of those dojo's and apply it to Coolmine BJJ. And so far it has worked much better than I could have imagined. Next year will be a big year for that Club. We have exceeded all our goals we set out and I'm very proud of the atmosphere we've built in the club and I will make it my life's mission to keep that atmosphere and build on it.

Most importantly the highlight of my year is the maintaining and solidyfing of the lifelong relationships one seems to make in martial arts. I've been doing martial arts all my life and I consider myself to have only 3 coaches. My Father Eddie Corcoran, my Judo Coach Kieran Foley and of course my BJJ and MMA coach John Kavanagh. I always knew I would pursue a BJJ and MMA career after judo and there was never ever any doubt which club I would train in.

2010 was an excellent year but it will be beaten in 2011, It's a very exciting time to train BJJ and MMA in this country. Special thanks to Paulie Fox -co coach of Coolmine BJJ ;) I am really excited about 2011 and what it holds for us.

The very best of luck to you all in 2011 and I hope you enjoy your Christmas.

PS the Coolmine BJJ Crimbo party was pretty memorable... well... .the first half ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

Mine was watching Aerts beat Schilt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

Seeing the judo world championships in the home of judo, Japan, was amazing! Meeting some of the fighters while I was there, including one world champion, was cool too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭pearsquasher

Training with senior Bujinkan instructors and personal students of the Bujinkan grandmaster, Hatsumi Masaaki.
    (Ever try and punch/kick/throw/stab smoke? That's what its like with these guys.

Also....Marrying a fellow martial artist. :D (Training every day!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

Mine was this,
    Getting back into training after beating panic, anxiety and depression for the second time. Starting training again has given me such new focus and the strength to make some wholesale changes in my lifestyle and the company I Keep.

A few things that stand out for me.....

- taking the plunge and leaving the comfort of the day job to run my gym full time - Thai Boxing primarily, personal training and now some MMA as well.

- finally getting my ass around to doing some bjj - started with liamb & the lads in Pedro Bessa/BJJ Cork in january/february of this year and haven't looked back since....absolutely love the training and can't wait to develop some more next year.

- at the start of the year, I set myself a goal of trying to compete in a round of the mma league once I had 6/7 months of grappling behind me. I did that and also had 3 proper fights, and 3 exciting/enjoyable fights as well. I've no doubt that results will go my way next year once I eliminate a few silly mistakes, but I'm looking forward to the journey to becoming a better fighter again.

Bring on 2011 - it's gonna be a good one :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

Getting off my ass for the first time in years and actually doing something physical. Took up Judo with 3 of my friends in Jan, 11 months on and I'm the only one left, glad I stuck with it even though I get my ass kicked on a weekly basis. Got my yellow belt!

2011 Goals: Cop on with my diet and lose the big belly, lift on a regular basis instead of whenever I feel like it, compete at a comp.

Opinicus wrote: »
    Getting off my ass for the first time in years and actually doing something physical. Took up Judo with 3 of my friends in Jan, 11 months on and I'm the only one left, glad I stuck with it even though I get my ass kicked on a weekly basis. Got my yellow belt!

2011 Goals: Cop on with my diet and lose the big belly, lift on a regular basis instead of whenever I feel like it, compete at a comp.

Well done, where are you training?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

Thanks, I'm out in the sticks (Kerry)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 sdub

i used to dream of training bjj/mma so i guess in 2010 I started livin the dream:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Started training BJJ in Pedro Bessa with Liam for a week or two before I got a job and moved to Dublin.

Started training in SBG in September. Started eating right, training as hard and as often as I can and I am absolutely loving it. Lost 3 or 4 stone at this stage thanks to the place and been learning slowly but surely about BJJ. I go to bed at night thinking about it. So it's been a good year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭antybots

I finally got off my ass and tried out for the national team. I managed to get picked and had my first international competition. I'm really proud of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭TEAM RYANO

There has been alot of great things this year
    At team ryano and bjj revolution
    Started of in jan winning the senior brown belt
    Absolute at the bjj euros

Seeing bjj growing in Ireland

The trip we made to the USA to fight against them
    We brought 5fighters 4 trained on a 10 week training camp
    And one took the fight on 3 days notice we came away 2.2
    And one guy never got to fight
    It was a great trip

The bjj revolution seminar
    We had 120 on the mat what a day

The munster open
    This was one of our best days
    To see the White belts go out and preform great
    Patrick boylan doing some strange bjj and
    Winning the advanced - 76 nogi

Neil Seery training in the gi
    Winning the munster and Irish open
    He is now hooked to bjj

The Mma team
    Some great wins this year both here and
    Abroad
    Some stand outs
    John donnelly dropping to 77 and going 4.0 this year
    Richie Edgeworth getting a big win in the USA
    And Neils battle in cage contenders showing how
    Good he really is

Promoting the new blue belts on the club this year
    We had 6 in the summer and 12 last month

I loved putting on a show again
    Battlezone

But I think the highlight for me is the growth
    Of Mma and bjj in Ireland
    Cheers and a happy christmass to every one
    Oooossss

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Liam_B

2010 highlights are many for us in Cork , has being a great craic of a year.

The BJJ Munster Open championships held in Cork was a big Highlight. Having the support of our club members and other clubs around the country made it a HUGE Success.

The IBJJF Referee Course held in Cork was another good highlight for the year. Now we have around 30 Certified IBJJF Referee's in Ireland, which will be great for the sport here.

The guys competing successfully throughout the Year all over Ireland , Scotland & UK in BJJ. Bringing back stacks of Silverware to the club.

We had Andrew Manning/Shane O Callaghan/Jamie O Connell/Brendan O shea/Brendan Mc Garry all fighting in MMA throughout the Country ,some wins some losses but all good craic. The Cork Cage of Combat Event was Great Craic.

Some great Talent passing by the club to help out with the training. Ryan Hall/Dean Lister/Terere as well as Pedro Bessa.

The highlight was Terere staying here for over a week, training every minute of the day, just enjoying Jiujitsu. And of course the last BJJ CAMP ,where we had a good few visitors from other clubs come down , to enjoy the training.

All in all ,a Great Year. Hope next year can be as fruitful and thanks to all the other clubs who supported us throughout 2010. Best Wishes & Good Health & Lets Hope it continues for 2011

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭EnjoyChoke

Hard to pick a single event from what's been my best year ever. I'm going with the road trips abroad.

Getting to travel and compete as part of a great BJJ team, an unforgettable experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭EnjoyChoke

Liam_B wrote: »
    The BJJ Munster Open championships held in Cork was a big Highlight. Having the support of our club members and other clubs around the country made it a HUGE Success.

Irish competition of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Highlight for me was Robert McGivern v James O' Connell, absolute elbowfest

Had my first pro fight this year too so that was my personal hightlight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭r_obric

1. Munster Open - Being part of a competition that matched and exceeded the standards of the many UK and european comps.
    2. Purple Belt - Havent gotten around to training in it yet but looking forward to it, i think!!!!
    3. Competing - few silvers, few bronzes, plenty of lessons.
    4. Watching the adcc in barcelona, braulio v galvao on one matt, marcelo on another and saulo on another. Where would you get it.
    5. Terrere training in Cork. Legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

Starting Wing Chun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Darren Mahony

In may this year I was given a real honour by my Instructor and was asked to be one of the Instructors at the European Kenpo Karate Camp for the first time. The event saw 300 Kenpoka from all over Europe converge on a hotel in Carlow for a kickass weekend. That was really cool as I got to teach people of all different ranks and ability from lots of different places and share some of my ideas with them and their teachers. On the back of that I got flown out to Austria by the Kenpo association there for a weekend in June to teach seminars so that was excellent but this saturday I am testing for my 4th Degree BB so on saturday night I will either have something to top what I wrote above :) or I will have nothing more to add :(
    (Was origionally planning on attending the Internation Karate Championships in Longbeach California but my wife was heavilly pregnant at the time and I didn't want to go so hopefully I'll get that one in next year).

Regards
    Darren

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

In may this year I was given a real honour by my Instructor and was asked to be one of the Instructors at the European Kenpo Karate Camp for the first time. The event saw 300 Kenpoka from all over Europe converge on a hotel in Carlow for a kickass weekend. That was really cool as I got to teach people of all different ranks and ability from lots of different places and share some of my ideas with them and their teachers. On the back of that I got flown out to Austria by the Kenpo association there for a weekend in June to teach seminars so that was excellent but this saturday I am testing for my 4th Degree BB so on saturday night I will either have something to top what I wrote above :) or I will have nothing more to add :(
    (Was origionally planning on attending the Internation Karate Championships in Longbeach California but my wife was heavilly pregnant at the time and I didn't want to go so hopefully I'll get that one in next year).

Regards
    Darren

nice junket there

I suppose handing in my notice in work to train BJJ every day is also a highlight.

Roll on 1/1/2011

Chris89 wrote: »
    I suppose handing in my notice in work to train BJJ every day is also a highlight.

Roll on 1/1/2011

prepare to have no money and have everyone think you're weird, but also be the happiest you've ever been in your life.

greatest decision ever.

NG-DOC wrote: »
    prepare to have no money and have everyone think you're weird, but also be the happiest you've ever been in your life.

Sounds like being a hippy, or being on the scratcher. Either is good :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I suppose the highlight of my year was learning I could take a punch off someone three time's my size and stay on my feet.

I took up Martial Arts there a year and a half ago and it's the best decision I ever made. It changed me as a person and has given me more confidence. I'd recommend it for anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭DavidPhelan

Highlights:

Starting bjj in September with my bro and getting to compete was amazing! If someone said to me 6 months ago that I'd have a medal from the Irish open I would've laughed, I still do!

My brother and I getting gold together for the first time in a comp was pretty cool, proudest I've ever been!

Training in Next Gen. Pure class, great bunch of sparring partners, nicest guy in the world teaching and big changes coming for us in 2011! So excited, would compete every weekend if I could afford all the travelling.

Lowlights:

Ears are f-ing killing me right now!

London NoGi open cancelled due to the snow, boooooo.

Sick of having to explain to people what bjj is!- now I just say, "I roll around on the ground hugging men". Job done!

• Advertisement

Sick of having to explain to people what bjj is!- now I just say, "I roll around on the ground hugging men". Job done!

Just tell 'em its the art of folding clothes while still wearing them.

nice junket there

Yeah it was a cool weekend. Great bunch of people and it's a beautiful part of the world. I'm a keen biker and they got me a loaner one day to go for a spin in the alps. The scenery was amazing.
    I must've done something right too because thay asked me back again next year.:)

Regards
    Darren

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭da-bres

Highlights:

Starting bjj in September with my bro and getting to compete was amazing! If someone said to me 6 months ago that I'd have a medal from the Irish open I would've laughed, I still do!

My brother and I getting gold together for the first time in a comp was pretty cool, proudest I've ever been!

Training in Next Gen. Pure class, great bunch of sparring partners, nicest guy in the world teaching and big changes coming for us in 2011! So excited, would compete every weekend if I could afford all the travelling.

Lowlights:

Ears are f-ing killing me right now!

London NoGi open cancelled due to the snow, boooooo.

Fair play man, thats an awesome achievement, onwards and upwards for 2011, can only get better with NG-DOC coaching you!

Aggresive hugging is the term I like to use.:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Cucombite is what i say. My french friend told me the word. It means coming in from the front and the read sides of the genitals . My spelling is possibly wrong. That's simply BJJ!

Mine is starting it, only being able to train twice a week and cannot for for 2011 where it's going to be as often as physically possible. Competed and it was a fantastic experience. Looking forward to the NI NoGi Open as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Chris it's going to be interesting to see how this turns out. You should get a sponsor...

• Advertisement

You need to be good to get a sponsor!

Thread is cleaned up and some user's posted have been edited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭rom

Getting my tkd black belt to go with my Karate 3rd brown belt (I known, facepalm)

rom wrote: »
    Getting my tkd black belt to go with my Karate 3rd brown belt (I known, facepalm)

Why the face palm?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭Steba

Em coming first in an INTA competition. Sparring 75kg-80kg, 18-24.
    Stoked :P

On saturday the 18th of Dec I was sucessful in passing the test for 4th Degree Black Belt. Happy out :D

Darren Mahony

On saturday the 18th of Dec I was sucessful in passing the test for 4th Degree Black Belt. Happy out :D

Darren Mahony

Nice one, which style?

I train in the EPAK (Ed Parker American Kenpo) system or "Parker Kenpo" for short.

Regards
    Darren

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭black dragon

Watching my long time student Nikki ''the killer'' Collins knock out European Champion Carla Jesssup from England in the 4th round at my Rumble In The Bay promotion in Leisureland, Galway on May 15, 2010 to become IKF Ladies World Bantamweight Kickboxing Champion.
    She defendes her Title against No. 1 contender Jackie Lawerence from USA on March 12, 2011 which will happen once again in Leisureland.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Chris Dowling

Helen Meagher V Megan Maher fight! what a cracker! or the Sean O'Neill v Clayton Delaney title bout both went the distance and entertained!

• Advertisement
Advertisement