Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky+HD 1Tb - any offers for Irish subscribers?

Options
  • 13-12-2010 7:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭

I've noticed a good few people on AVForums and DigitalSpy saying how they managed to get a Sky+HD 1Tb box for £149 if upgrading from a 1st gen Thompson.

Is there a similar offer available from Sky Ireland?

I bought a Thompson box full price in Sept 2006 and in Jan 2010 I got the PSU repaired and installed a 1Tb HDD which worked fine until now. Seems one of the tuners is on the way out and it would be a good time to replace it with a faster model.

Had a look on the Sky website and the 1Tb box is available for Eur249 which is too much for what it does.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

I haven't heard of any offers from Sky Ireland but am interested in this as well. I might give them a call later and see if anything is available, but am not holding my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Andy454

The sky amstrad drx890 has the exact same hardware as the 1TB box except a smaller hard disk and different cover!

I got one for "free" when I reported my box failing and replaced the 500gb disk with a 2TB one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Owenw

Cannco, I'd be interested in how you get if you do ring them.

Andy, good to know the boxes have the same basic hardware, but I don't want to muck around changing hard drives while the box is under warranty and it would be a real PITA to go back to smaller storage for 12 months.

For the 'free' box did you have to agree to a further 12 month contract?

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Hi Lads,

Picked up a 1TB box today and just installed it now. Nice box and very fast. It will be interesting to see the on demand services when they start.

Cheers
    TCP/IP

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Lucky sod:) On a slightly off topic subject, the card referred to in the Stupid Question thread (closed) is a Freesat from Sky card. I have one from my UK address. These cards do not have to be paired to the stb. I have 3 boxes in my gaff and I move the card around as i need - mostly only footie on Five:)

• Advertisement

TCP/IP wrote: »
    Hi Lads,

Picked up a 1TB box today and just installed it now. Nice box and very fast. It will be interesting to see the on demand services when they start.

Cheers
    TCP/IP

Nice one! Like the DM on top too :cool:

have you had any hiccups with the new HD box?

the horror stories on digitalspy / avforums would make you take up cave drawing to pass the dark evenings!

Owenw wrote: »
    Nice one! Like the DM on top too :cool:

have you had any hiccups with the new HD box?

the horror stories on digitalspy / avforums would make you take up cave drawing to pass the dark evenings!

Cheers no hassles yet done all its been asked to do so cant say bad thing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

What disk did you use? I presume you had to use Copy+ to format.

I threw a 1G disk in but it proved too noisy.

Andy454 wrote: »
    The sky amstrad drx890 has the exact same hardware as the 1TB box except a smaller hard disk and different cover!

I got one for "free" when I reported my box failing and replaced the 500gb disk with a 2TB one!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

What disk did you use? I presume you had to use Copy+ to format.

I threw a 1G disk in but it proved too noisy.
    i think (and i could be mis-remembering, so don't quote me) some (or possibly all) HDD's can be set to a 'quiet' mode (with slightly lower performance) from a PC with a utility from the HDD manufacturer. i think one of them (possibly Hitachi) even works with other mfg's drives.

someone please feel free to correct me if i'm talking out of my chuff. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

TCP/IP wrote: »
    Hi Lads,

Cheers
    TCP/IP

does on demand not require you also to have sky broadband as well though?

meaning rep.ireland will never get it as sky broadband arent over here nor is it likely sky will partner with any current irish ISP

• Advertisement

I remember there was a thread over on DigitalSpy and someone with links to Sky said that they are rolling out Anytime+ on Sky BB as a 'public beta' to iron out any bugs, with the aim of making it available via other BB providers in due course.

Could be waiting a while though.
    I'm still waiting to use te USB on my 7 yr old Sky Plus :D

BArra wrote: »
    does on demand not require you also to have sky broadband as well though?

meaning rep.ireland will never get it as sky broadband arent over here nor is it likely sky will partner with any current irish ISP

Correct sky broadband needed at the moment but this will change on full rollout

Advertisement