Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anywhere to drink one into a stupor that plays Dadrock?

Options
  • 13-12-2010 8:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭

Cuba used to play proper old rock music (Beatles, Who, Zeppelin, Kinks, Stones etc.) back in my day but it all seemed to be hippity hoppity **** the last few times I visited. Massimos can be close but it tends to lean towards the Motowny and the kitschy-50s-rock so that can be wearing. Anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭dapto1

Nowhere. Go to an old man pub and bring your Ipod (or Walkman in your case, based on the hippity hopptiy remark).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

dapto1 wrote: »
    Nowhere. Go to an old man pub and bring your Ipod (or Walkman in your case, based on the hippity hopptiy remark).

I would but often they do be leaving the television on too loud which is just as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭dapto1

That's true enough in fairness!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Not many places in Galway.
    We used to take over the jukebox in Rabbitts and play just rock but the place has become a bit snobbish since then and they removed the jukebox.
    Perhaps if you can find a pub with a jukebox that isn't playing other music?
    Sally's/ Bierhouse/ Nixer's/ Cottage bar/ new pub E.Brun on Dominic Street?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Sally's? Might be a little more metal than dadrock though.

The Snug used to be the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Once the racing and football is finished Kennedys jukebox aint too bad most evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

The jukebox in Sally Longs would have been my best recommendation as well. If there's not too many others in the place you can have it to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Townhouse plays a lot of older rock - Janis, Zep etc, and mixed in with other stuff though.

The speakers are *everywhere* tho, and are just a bit overbearing for me. I love that place but the big brother speakers stop me from going a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭ttoppcat

If you do find such a place PLEASE do let us know!!! And if it has a pool table I'll meet ya there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Def the Townhouse, I have only been there during the day so can't comment on a proper night time session, but they play awesome music. I have had many a soup while chilling out to bowie :D.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I would but often they do be leaving the television on too loud which is just as bad.

You need headphones that isolate better :cool:

No pubs in galway play music I like, so occasionally I just head to the salthouse with my sennheisers and fade away with a nice pint

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

OP, you should check out my covers band, Chameleon - your list of bands pretty much encapsulates our regular set list, with the addition of some more modern rock bands like Kings of Leon and White Stripes. We play every Friday in the Quays, also at the King's Head and Garvey's every few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

McAlinden's has a great jukebox, if you can get the pool table out the back you're laughing. Great pint of Guinness too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Malice_ wrote: »
    The jukebox in Sally Longs would have been my best recommendation as well. If there's not too many others in the place you can have it to yourself.

Even if its jammed and you have enough money in it it's yours until the DJ starts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

padraig71 wrote: »
    OP, you should check out my covers band, Chameleon - your list of bands pretty much encapsulates our regular set list, with the addition of some more modern rock bands like Kings of Leon and White Stripes. We play every Friday in the Quays, also at the King's Head and Garvey's every few weeks.

Are you any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭ttoppcat

He's hardly gonna tell you they're ****e now is he:D

What dates you in Garveys Padraig? Not too fond of the other pubs you mentioned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

markesmith wrote: »
    McAlinden's has a great jukebox, if you can get the pool table out the back you're laughing. Great pint of Guinness too.

Whats the crowd like in McAlinden's? It looks proper unwelcoming what with not being able to see inside or anything. I like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

@ Frada - yes

@ ttoppcat - 22 jan, 19 feb, 12 march, all saturdays

Advertisement