Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living across the pond? Come and introduce yourself!

Options
  • 13-12-2010 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭

I'll get the ball rolling!

I've been living in San Diego, CA for the last two years almost, hoping to stay a LOT longer. I'm working as a software engineer here and loving it!

Where are you living and what are you doing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Good idea!

I moved from Dublin to NW Arkansas 2 years ago with my US citizen husband (he was living with me in Irelanbd for 3.5 years before that) and twin babies, and we had another daughter since. I do some writing, but I am mostly a SAHM (stay-at-home-mom); I was a customer service manager in Ireland and may go back to that when the kids are in school, but we are also considering home-schooling.

I like it here, the area is much more family friendly and we were able to buy a 4 bedroom house for half the price of our one bedroom flat in Dublin, but I do miss Ireland still, especially my friends and the culture and how liberal it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

I left Ireland back in 2004 and lived in Canada for 1.5 years, then moved to Boston and eventually NY. Have been in NY for 2.5 years. Currently on a H1B visa. I work as a software engineer at a research lab.

I enjoy the US but the immigration process is terribly frustrating and the NY winters are brutal! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Myself and the husband have been in Houston 18 months now. He's doing surgical residency and I'm in a medical physics PhD program. Expect to be here another 4-5 years and the we'll be heading back to Ireland.

We picked Houston because of the facilities the Texas Medical Centre offers us in terms of training (I'm based in a cancer centre with a 3.2 billion budget and 18,000 staff). We like it here, very unique and different from the rest of the US. Texas people are incredibly warm and friendly.

Expecting baby dual citizen in January - I hope he's grateful he'll never have to deal with USCIS.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Crossed the pond near 5 years ago, finished 4-year degree, now working on masters. Have scholarship and part-time work. University is a grand place to weather the great recession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 user18

California, born and raised. Going to school, but currently considering joining the air force. Undecided on career goals, though a detective would be pretty cool.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭boarddotie

I moved to Louisiana 3 months ago on my own for a job. I work as an epidemiologist in a Biomedical Research Center. It was a tough move but one I had to do for such a greta position and I havent regretted it so far! The Winter is mild but I am dreading the heat and humidity in the Summer and the possibility of hurricanes. The people are fantastic down here and its a non-stop party with always some festival and the like to go to!

Nice to meet y'all :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Born and raised in a small town in Co.Meath. My wife was born and raised in the US and my job in Ireland was going nowhere so moving was a no brainer (we met online over 10 years ago and are married 6 years, I first visited in 2002). Moved to central Illinois in 2005, we have a nice life, own a house and I work at one of the top 100 libraries in the USA. I love it (aside from the sticky, humid midwest summers and bitterly cold winters). :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Graduated DIT in '97. Left for Atlanta, Georgia 3 days after my last final. Been here ever since. Married, kid, house, dog, 2.5 cars, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Harpy

Over on the one year visa in Boston since September. Moving to New york in January for a job, so excited and scared about that.But should be exciting and good experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Hi All,

Born in Dublin, grew up Wicklow and Galway, then London for college, after which I met my future Wife (who was a US citizen).

We moved to California in 1988, Spent about 10 years in Santa Cruz before getting divorced and I moved to Seattle where I've been ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭thenobody

Hey
    Originally from Dublin.
    Got greencard and moved to US in summer 2009. Originally in Bridgeport, CT for a month and living in San Diego, CA since. Working as an electrical engineer.
    Not sure if i like it here at all.
    Not interested in havings kids, houses etc or anything to lock me down. Once you make the big move and get your life into two suitcases - really want to try keep it minimalist that way and be able to move whenever I want. Its hard cos unlike ireland, apartments for rent are not furnished and unlike ireland they are really expensive here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

From Cork, graduated UCC in 2007, spent a year in Galway before moving to Boston. I work IT in a Financial Services company. I like Boston but I'm considering moving somewhere in the next year or so, maybe in the US, maybe somewhere closer to home, possibly NYC or London, heck i may go the opposite direction and go all the way to California. I'm keeping an eye out for a perfect opportunity in life and career.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,943 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Moved to Ireland in 2000 and moved back out in 2008 when all my reasons for anchor quickly fell apart. I'm between work without a qualification but looking to get into IT, Information Systems/networking/troubleshooting, etc. after discovering Programming is not quite my happy place. It's funny looking up listings on Craigslist like "We are hiring a Computer Cleaner Person" - What a title!

So I'm kind of a go-between for Irish-American relations I guess. Living in the Charleston Area of SC but have lived in Daytona Beach/St.Augustine/Gainesville FL and originally from Arlington WA. Spent a lot of time in the Ennis area and a little time in Carlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

Born in Dublin, still living in Dublin. Engineering graduate, doing a masters in business. Hoping to move to the states in the future, however, I am considering working in Ireland for a year at least to gain experience with a reputable company. Unfortunately I think my prospects otherwise aren't to great.

Plan is, get a year or two under belt here with a good name, then use this to secure employment in US. Seems that in my field Irish Uni's just don't cut it with the big boys from states. Or maybe its just me ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

muboop1 wrote: »
    Born in Dublin, still living in Dublin. Engineering graduate, doing a masters in business. Hoping to move to the states in the future, however, I am considering working in Ireland for a year at least to gain experience with a reputable company. Unfortunately I think my prospects otherwise aren't to great.

Plan is, get a year or two under belt here with a good name, then use this to secure employment in US. Seems that in my field Irish Uni's just don't cut it with the big boys from states. Or maybe its just me ;)

If your plan is to move to the US you need to be applying for the diversity lottery every year! Its one of the best and most achievable ways of getting in. I live here in the US and I apply every year :) I didn't get it for the past 3yrs but remain moderately hopeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Graduated from UL in 2009. Been working in Pittsburgh, PA, for the past year and a half as a Computer Engineer. Due to return home in August but have the option of staying on with this company although I'm really looking for work more in my field (more hardware oriented... open to offers ;).

Enjoying the US so far though, well settled in and have some good friends here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Born Dublin but grew up in Letterkenny.
    Did college in the UK but wanted to get out, so I moved to France.

Officially I still live in France, but I spend 60% of the year working for a client in Boston at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Newbie6

Hi all, new to the Mid West, Indy at the minute but will be moving round with work. Just got here 2 weeks ago :D

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

On H1B, after two J1's (internship). Came out here after graduating, as I was dating a girl from here. We broke up but decided to stay and got sponsored. From Kildare, did engineering in DCU now working in western mass, and living in New Hampshire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

Been here in New Hampshire for almost a year now - Initially moved with the view of not staying very long - but have to say I'm enjoying it so far :) Working as a researcher in a university here and I love it - far better funded than in Ireland :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

American gal from a military family. Born in California, have lived in Colorado, Missouri, Illinois, and Washington. Presently a postgraduate student at Trinity College Dublin; will be leaving Dublin in the spring and I honestly can't wait to get back to my beloved America and our proper Fried Chicken, Buffalo Wings, and BBQ.

Kthanxbye.

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

Born in New York. Moved to Clare when I was younger and hoping to return back to NY once I finish school and college :)

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭cheesehead

American with dual citizenship. Deep roots in Donegal. Originally from New York City Metro area (North Jersey), presently working as a physician in Wisconsin. If donegalfella feels any inclination to forego the desert Southwest for the Great White North, I know some excellent real estate agents!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

American by birth, clocked up some 15 years in Dublin, attended UCD.

Live in the San Francisco area, work in the IT industry for a day job, I'm a cavalry officer as a hobby.

Love shooting things, things that shoot things, and playing games that simulate shooting things or things that shoot things.

Also been known to fly light aircraft, and have been contaminated into believing that any real engine in a car must have at least eight cylinders.

I also model.

NTM

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

Greetings one and all. American born and bred. Currently doing the overnight thing in a donut shop here in NY state

• Registered Users Posts: 27 fenderlvr

Hi, I'm from San Diego, California. My girlfriend is Irish and she lives on boards, so naturally I have to be on here. :) I work in IT and I love beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

From Galway, my company transferred me to New York in 1992, eventually got the Green Card and Citizenship, married a NY girl, 3 kids, now living in Connecticut about an hour from NYC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44,501 ✭✭✭✭Deki

Hi! :) I'm Deki. Currently without work and my computer is busted:mad: I'll muddle through. I'm from Ohio.It's cold and grey today but stick around it's sure to change soon. I have a little (?) dog named Ace. Love him. Check back when I can- Later (HI BLUE!);)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Deki wrote: »
    (HI BLUE!);)

Welcome Deki! Sorry to hear about your rig. May it get well soon, so that you can post here often.

This United States forum is the former boards.us where we played a bit before it was closed. Unlike most forums where posting is narrowly focused on a particular topic, we can discuss almost anything on this forum about the United States. Hopefully people will catch on, and start all sorts of threads here.

Advertisement