Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The BIG 4 at SONISPHERE!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

K.Hammett wrote: »
    You read my mind!:D
    mmmm goth women in revealing clothing i didnt think sonisphere could get better but it just has ha, thanks for the pics motley!

I'd be suprised if those two didn't come back, but you do not want to know what they were supposed to have been selling!

Yeah, you'll see a lot of that, just one more sleep and then we're off on the buses

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I'd be suprised if those two didn't come back, but you do not want to know what they were supposed to have been selling!

Yeah, you'll see a lot of that, just one more sleep and then we're off on the buses

i DO want to know ;)

scudzilla wrote: »
    i DO want to know ;)

Yes, I understand

supermanwinks.jpg

Just warning you though, be on the lookout for a shifty guy, a guy that claims to be your friend but certainly can't be trusted - avoid at all costs

164370_127060964024190_100001608609437_179232_4878320_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Todays the day:-D Cant wait till finish work

Mushy wrote: »
    Todays the day:-D Cant wait till finish work

You may have covered this but how are you heading over?

I'm getting a coach, with this Green Company they've been talking about, trip starts from Newcastle at 9am tomorrow

Are you staying for the entire thing or just the Big Four?

• Advertisement

You may have covered this but how are you heading over?

I'm getting a coach, with this Green Company they've been talking about, trip starts from Newcastle at 9am tomorrow

Are you staying for the entire thing or just the Big Four?

Getting 8.55 boat then hang round Holyhead for few hours for train to London. Staying whole thing, mainly going for Biffy and Weezer.
    Very close now.

Very close now.

It is, and they just played a request for me on Sonisphere radio, SLLLLAAAAYYYYEEERRRR!

ahem, but yeah, should be ****ING EPIC

AND - Anthrax are doing an acoustic set in the Chill Out Tent (Friday at 2pm), and Fozzy are doing a signing!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Getting 8.55 boat then hang round Holyhead for few hours for train to London. Staying whole thing, mainly going for Biffy and Weezer.
    Very close now.

The boat from Dublin port is at 8.45. Just giving you a heads up in case ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

on line check in is completed and everything is printed off now we play the waiting game....its going to be amazing!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭hellyeah

todays the day. flying out this afternoon. Was a long 3 days at work but i made it. Hoping all have a great time/ safe journey.:D \ /

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Had a blast on Friday. Arrived at the hotel beside Luton Airport and chilled out there for a bit whilst waiting for the rain to stop. Met 4 English metalheads in the hotel who were happy to take one more with them in a taxi to the venue. A text from my mate who'd gone to Stevenage to get the shuttle bus to the venue made it a good call as he said there was a couple of thousand waiting and only 3 buses had turned up!

Had a good nose around the venue prior to Anthrax. One band that caught my ear were an english band called Hammer of the Gods who were on the Jagermeister stage. Dressed like Roman Centurians and wearing toga's they cut quite a sight. Great sound,even if the singer was poor(imo.).

I missed(and wasn't too bothered about) Diamond Head. Anthrax duly arrived and i thought they were excellent. Belladonna's legs might be a bit slower but his voice was in great shape. Props too to Andreas Kisser who filled in admirably for Scott Ian,even on backing vocals. New track sounded excellent live and it was good to hear some of the younger fans who may not have been familiar with them waxing lyrical about them.

Megadeth followed and were brilliant,probably the best i've ever seen them. Mustaine looked to be really enjoying himself,so much so that we were treated to a new song from the forthcoming album '13'. IIRC it's called 'Public Enemy #1' and sounded pretty good from what i remember of it. Killer set and really heightened the excitement of the day.

Slayer were next and Slayer done what Slayer do best. Pulverised the crowd from start to finish. Many around me started off with an air of ambivalance towards them but were pumping fists and roaring at the top of their lungs by the end. Great set and Araya in particular had an ear to ear grin on his face for the entire set.

And finally Metallica hit the stage(at 20.45 which is early by their standards). Being aware of recent setlists i had a rough idea of what was ahead. This translated into £5stg profit thanks to some drunk guys beside me. They were talking amongst themselves about what they thought the opening song would be and having a little sweep between them. They obviously hadn't see the recent Metallica setlists so i chimed in with 'Hit The Lights' and they laughed it off. Half way through Shortest Straw i got a tap on the shoulder and one of them handed me 5 pound coins,says i won the sweep!! Result!:D

Great set by Metallica. Call of Ktulu was a true highlight,sounded immense live. Shortest Straw was another rarity that sounded awesome live. Another highlight was the Big 4 jam on 'Am i Evil?'. Having watched the DVD,Youtube videos etc i sort of thought it was a bit corny,maybe even contrived. But standing there watching many of my Metal heroes all on the same stage with smiling faces and rocking out i couldn't help but feel elated at an amazing sight and sound and it was truly something i'll always remember.

After all that it was time to get back to Luton. Blagged my way into a taxi with 3 aussies and finally got back around 00.45 in the morning. A couple of beers in the hotel bar and i went to bed a very happy man. Glad i got to witness what was in my eyes an historic event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

lord lucan wrote: »
    Had a good nose around the venue prior to Anthrax. One band that caught my ear were an english band called Hammer of the Gods who were on the Jagermeister stage. Dressed like Roman Centurians and wearing toga's they cut quite a sight. Great sound,even if the singer was poor(imo.).

Another highlight was the Big 4 jam on 'Am i Evil?'. Having watched the DVD,Youtube videos etc i sort of thought it was a bit corny,maybe even contrived. But standing there watching many of my Metal heroes all on the same stage with smiling faces and rocking out i couldn't help but feel elated at an amazing sight and sound and it was truly something i'll always remember.

Glad i got to witness what was in my eyes an historic event.

Lucan I'm pretty much going to mirror what you said :-)
    we were on the 6:25 Ryanair flight to Stansted, no hassles, even got to sit together, picked up the hire car and of to the Hotel (a couple of miles from Stansted) to make sure everything was ok for a 2am check-in.......lucky we did check as well as the place was booked out and had we not gone in we may have well had the room passed on in the afternoon..........anyway all sorted and off we go - with the exception of a slight naviational error (missed our turn off and 15 mins later see a sign saying "Congestion Charge in 500m" - no way, how the hell did we nearly end up in London) anyway, quick turn around and back on track, arrived nice and early, parked got ourselves together and were very happy with the organisation outside, picked up our tickets etc without a hitch..........had loads of time for a beer and a wander around the site, good layout, lots of food options etc.....

had intended to watch Hammer Of The Gods rather than Diamon Head as I'd liked what I'd heard on their MySpace, so we sat down around the Jager stage near 3 for them and have to say the singer and the gimmick put us off, thought he was a bit weak alright, band was solid though, just loose the cheap masks......they had decent sound I thought......stayed for a few songs and headed up to catch Diamond Head, who weren't nearly as bad as I was expecting, but nothing special either.....

I thought Anthrax were on top form, Joey may not be as quick as he used to be but he still covered every inch of that massive stage, his vocals were excellent and they seemed (as all 4 bands did) to be really enjoying the event....really liked the new song, and as with you was happy to see the kids getting into it.....nice to hear a bit of ChaosAD too :-)

Megadeth were excellent too, that's the best I've heard Dave live, he's not a great vocalist lets be honest but he was giving it socks on Friday, and the rest of the band were terrific, nice set starting with a slower song worked really well.......

for me Slayer were band of the day, they just crushed everything in site, 6th time seeing them and the last time on the Holy Alliance Tour they were really lacklustre and I wondered were they done - not a chance, Friday they were so powerful, Gary Holt was excellent, Kerry King was right on the money, Tom was having more fun than I've ever seen (even videoing the crowd from his iphone) and Dave Lombardo killed........we were 4-5 rows back from the barrier on the right side of the stage and business certainly picked up while they were on, but enjoyable and nearly all just friendly fun.......great to see loads of girls around us belting out the Slayer lyrics :-)

have to be honest, just before Metallica were due to come on (8:30) I have a huge energy crash, so decided to stay back and just chill, sent my mates back into the crowd, glad I did, wasn't 100% at that stage, but still, how can you not enjoy the Metallica set, although from where I was they were pretty sloppy at the start and I thought they made a balls of Fade To Black, that aside, great setlist and the Big4 Jam was like you said an historic moment to witness, I 100% agree, having seen it before you know what's coming and it's corny and the hugs may be for show, but who cares, look at them all on one stage belting out Am I Evil and grinning from ear to ear........Friday was a day that myself and my two mates will never forget - so glad we decided to go, was too wrecked after Metallica finished to hit Killing Joke and we knew we'd a 30min walk to the car anyway, got back to the hotel around 2:00am and back up for the flight just before 10..........at the end of the day - worth every minute of it - and I'd do it all again next week if I could :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

What you guys said. Just home from the airport myself, time to go looking through the photos. Thought that the Big 4 section itself was quite forced but really enjoyed Anthrax and Megadave. Loved the Sepultura jam too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Would just be repeating you all :)

Was just fantastic seeing the Big 4!! Something I'll never forget that just got us pumped for the rest of the weekend! Have seen Slayer, Megadeth and Metallica before, but they just seemed in great form, delighted and happy with everything, belting out awesome tunes :D

Don't know too much Diamond Head, but was fangirling and fancrushing on the lead singer :o

The rest of the weekend was just a great experience, seeing some amazing bands live and even got to go Rollin' with Limp Bizkit :D:o

Was on the first flight this morning and compltely wrecked, but would do it all over again in a heartbeat.

A brilliant weekend! :D

Great event, busy weekend, all very tiring now but got loads of interviews and Friday was my favourite night

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Great event, pretty well organised and a very friendly crowd. Its everything that another festival that was on this weekend isnt. My personal highlights were Slayer, The Cancer Bats and Airbourne.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Forgot to add,props to whoever was flying the Tricolour up front for most of friday.:)

lord lucan wrote: »
    Forgot to add,props to whoever was flying the Tricolour up front for most of friday.:)

Yeah, I was delighted to see it was the only flag that far front for Megadeth, Slayer and Metallica - beautiful to see....so I took this photo....

269426_10150722085510145_810160144_19718027_4441657_n.jpg

264931_10150325489654673_625764672_9235449_853059_n.jpg

Did anyone see what happened when the first girl, the one in the blue top, showed everyone her tit's on the big screen.

It was towards the end of a Megadeth song because the next thing you see is Dave Mustaine applauding to the crowd for their loyalty, but it was made look like he was applauding this girl's chest, it was hilarious lol;)

• Advertisement

263971_10150722084985145_810160144_19718016_1987458_n.jpg

Really did enjoy Megadeth this year. Seems like they actually enjoyed themselves!

271077_10150325999749673_625764672_9240125_6798680_n.jpg

feylya wrote: »
    Really did enjoy Megadeth this year. Seems like they actually enjoyed themselves!

271077_10150325999749673_625764672_9240125_6798680_n.jpg

Yes, I have to agree, the band did seem to have a great time performing. The only thing about their set was how quiet Mustaine was, I'm used to him talking on and on but he barely said a few words...still, great musician and great music from the band as a whole.

Yeah, I was delighted to see it was the only flag that far front for Megadeth, Slayer and Metallica - beautiful to see....so I took this photo....

269426_10150722085510145_810160144_19718027_4441657_n.jpg

wasn't many flags around alright - which is no bad thing in my book :-)
    think the tricolour was just behind us, we were right up the front for Slayer (whch I've probably already mentioned) looks like you had a nice spot too Crue........

as for Mr.Mustaine, to be honest I was very happy that he just said a few words and concentrated on the job at hand, as mentioned before they seemed to be really enjoying it as was everyone else.........will throw in a couple of pics when I get a few minutes.....if that ever happens again in my life :-):D

A video I recorded of Slayer at Sonisphere

Here's the end of Raining Blood and the start of Black Magic......sorry for the crappy sound, it sounded great standing there, odd.......

A couple of pics of Joey from Anthrax and Kerry from Slayer.....

DSCF8141.JPG

DSCF8266.JPG

just a couple more randoms........

DSCF8140.JPGDSCF8153.JPG

DSCF8358.JPGDSCF8210.JPG

DSCF8306.JPGDSCF8273.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Fantastic weekend.

Megadave and Slayer the best for me on Friday, wouldnt be the biggest Slayer fan but they were top notch.

Weezer really surprised me on the Sat by being one of the best bands of the festival, loads of tunes off the blue album and Paranoid Android cover was cool.

The Mars Volta were very energetic and I didnt know most of their tunes but hearing The Widow was class.

Great setlist from Paradise Lost and the usually bored looking Nick Holmes was in top form for a change, hopefully an Irish date will arise soon.

Up early on Sun for the amazing Volbeat who came on a quarter an hour earlier than announced, great varied setlist, roll on gig in Oct.

Opeth were face meltingly great as usual, the usual crowd banter from God, I was a bit surprised by the inclusion of Face of Melinda at a festival but happy to hear it all the same.

Not a fan of Slipknot or Limp Bizkit but I thought Limp Bizkit were deadly live, Slipknot not so, thought there was something missing from their performance(not meant as a bad joke)

Saw loads more, honourable mention for the brilliant Bill Bailey and I was told I really enjoyed the Cancer Bats set covering Black Sabbath, cant remember much of it tho.

Really well run festival, friendly and relaxed,will be back next year when hopefully Rush and Soundgarden will headline:D

• Advertisement

Back from London today, what a week.

Queues on Thursday were mad, ended up in **** camping spot so had bit of trouble with tent all weekend.

Friday was cool. Went to see Hammer of the Gods thinking it was Led Zep tribute band...I dunno what I was thinking. Then saw Diamond Head and Big 4, just dont like Slayer but funny lads got me moving around jokingly. Metallica were great but that train is slowly pulling into the station unfortunately. Understandable given their age.

Saturday was great for me. Ended up skipping bands, but saw 5. Richard Cheese was quality, Sum 41 were nostalgiacally great, You me at six...didnt wanna see them but heard them and I didnt hate them.

Then Weezer...incredible. Everyone so happy. Biffy Clyro...was that a first major headline? No nerves, just as tight as ever with a really cool set to boot.

Sunday was messy...extra drink was bad but good. Only saw Motorhead, Opeth, Limp Bizkit, Slipknot. Only two were good. Sound for LB and Slipknot was dire so was really underwhelmed by both.

But the positives easily outweighed the negatives, would easily return lineup depending.

Advertisement