Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC HD7

Options
  • 13-12-2010 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭

Hey lads looking at getting an HTC HD7 for xmas and was wondering if anyone has one and if they are good or not. From the reviews i have read and seen it has been mainly positive besides for the camera and battery which really im not really bothered about. The camera takes pictures whcih to me look fine and as to the battery i will be charging it every night anyway like i do my current phone.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

Did you read the reviews of Windows Mobile 7?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Its Windows Phone 7! Windows Mobile was the old OS

Well beside the Pink Camera tint theres nothing much to say about it :) either way it will get an update. HTC HD2 had the same problem which was fixed by HTC later with an update :)

Windows Phone 7 OS has the same OS across all handsets. You only get the HTC Hub with extra usefull apps in HTC phones :) either way cant go wrong :) ive seen apple fanboys going soft for it so far :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Yeah i know its Windows Mobile 7 and out of all the Devices out for it the HD7 is my favourite out of the lot of them so i just decided to ask around here about peoples experiences with the phone.

See the thing is that there's a short supply of all windows phones. Carriers just don't have some. So u might wait a while for a decent reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Hey lads looking at getting an HTC HD7 for xmas and was wondering if anyone has one and if they are good or not. From the reviews i have read and seen it has been mainly positive besides for the camera and battery which really im not really bothered about. The camera takes pictures whcih to me look fine and as to the battery i will be charging it every night anyway like i do my current phone.

Thanks.

According to GSMArena, it does not have an SD card slot, if that matters to you..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Here's a review for the HTC HD7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCOU4JE_rtg

@GerardKeating. No the SD card does not matter to me as it already has 16GB internal memory + i Have my iPod for larger movies, more songs etc.

@AntiVirus. Ah thanks for that it looks like i will be buying this then!

i Have my iPod for larger movies, more songs etc.

Paramount are doing movie Apps exclusively for Windows Phone 7. It's a really good idea, check it out here.

http://pocketnow.com/windows-phone/engaging-movie-experiences-coming-to-windows-phone-7

yeah was looking at that today :) first dvd like movies on phone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Just be careful with the HD7. First batch were dodgy. Should be out of channel by now though. Currently using the Samsung Omnia7 which is another good choice. Had the first version of the HD7 and had loads of crashing and had to do restarts to get apps to load. No such issues with Omnia.

• Advertisement

yeah they were but as far as i remember HTC issued a quick hotfix after to fix all that stuff.

Not sure did they fix the camera yet

Well hopefully with the WP7 update due in January and HTC's hotfix most of the faults should be ironed out.

@AntiVirus: that looks like a really good app. Its one of the best ive seen. Haven't seen any on the iPhone yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

I got a HD7 on the launch day back in October. Since then I'm quite happy with it.
    • No pink camera tint problem for me
    • The phone feels solid and expensive! Screen is great
    • Buttons can be slightly mushy (ie have to press relatively hard on the camera button); but it does mean I have never once accidently made a call or sent a text in my pocket
    • The start screen and tiles work really well
    • Windows Phone 7 is a great platform with literally dozens of apps added every day. There are some terrific apps on there already. It really is a unique experience compared to other platforms
    • The white theme looks better than the black theme on this phone
    • It is very easy to buy apps, and they are typically priced one or two euro; great value
    • Some fantastic games available already, many of which are free
    I would say if you have never used a smartphone before then you will be very pleased with it; you won't particularly notice the features that are missing compared to other platforms. If you have used another smartphone before then you may miss out on the ability to tinker with settings. Go for it!

HTC have updated there Live tile to now display your currenct location and the current temp and there's a new HTC Youtube app in the market place now

Live tile
    http://pocketnow.com/windows-phone/htc-hub-now-has-live-tile-with-weather-updates

Youtube
    http://pocketnow.com/windows-phone/htc-releases-own-windows-phone-7-youtube-app

4200 apps at the moment, check the app stats in the link below
    http://wp7applist.com/stats/

over 4000 apps will do me fine. Im not the type of person who needs 300,000 + apps in their iPhone :P

Well consider 4000 apps a great start. iPhone didn't have an app store for a year after its launch. And it took it 6 months to reach 15k apps. Android only had around 2600k apps i think after 6 months of its launch.
    So 4000 apps in 6 weeks or so isnt bad :) more is coming everyday :)

I really want to sell my HD2 and get a WP7 but i think ill wait till the new hardware comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Would it be worthwhile to have a separate thread on Windows Phone 7 apps that people are finding useful or just add to this thread?

I've read a few Top 10 WP7 app lists online but they're mostly US-centric and with the rate apps are being added, they get outdated quickly.

I find the Weave RSS reader has really changed the way I use my phone. QuickContacts is handy for speed dialling but I'm sure there's apps out there that do this slicker.

For some reason I do really like the Bing Splash app as I like seeing surprising and beautiful photos just pop up on a live tile on my home screen.

byRemote is my favourite app as it lets me schedule recordings on my home Media Center PC. WHSPhone is also great as I can play MP3s and show photos from my home server anywhere.

Obviously the Boards.ie Bargain Alerts app is a must install!

So, what are your favourite apps?

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Gooch2k4

Is there any good RSS apps that sync with google reader?

Gooch2k4 wrote: »
    Is there any good RSS apps that sync with google reader?

I've been using Wonder Reader for the last few weeks and it's pretty good. The trial allows you to try it out fully, with the only limitation being it forgets your Google Reader login details every 3rd or 4th time you launch the app.

Most importantly, the developer is actively updating the app based on feedback received. Some of the updates have brought major speed improvements and the like. The danger with a number of paid-for WP7 apps is that they are released and immediately forgotten about; I'm more interested in an app that will be developed and perfected over time by a dedicated dev.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Tomtata

The HD7 is a good device - there are some small elements that feel a little rushed - the physical buttons i.e. Camera + Power don’t feel right & the back cover / case is a little flimsy.

In saying that the Windows Phone 7 OS is fantastic - I was completely blown away by it - More so than when I first used the iPhone or HTC Sense on Android.

In fact the Apple iOS feels dated compared to this - very fast and the Tile system works extremely well.
    With the tight integration with other MS products, Live / Exchange / Office 365 etc... I can see it doing very well in the future.

My next phone will be WP7 - Im currently using the Galaxy S + Android 2.2.1

• Advertisement

Awesome, looks like I will either pick this up or the LG Optimus 7 as this is the only other phone I've seen on PAYG on Irish networks. hopefully I'll pick one of them up on Monday :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

There's the Omnia7 too which is what I got myself yesterday. The SAMOLED screen, while being slightly smaller than the one in the HD7, beats the pants off it quality wise. Outside of that, most reviews I had read put the Omnia7 on top in most other areas too. It's certainly worth considering anyway. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Hi all. I didn't want to start a new thread so I hope resurrection this one is ok.

I'm seriously considering getting a HD7 and was hoping to get some reactions now that they've been out for a while.

Saw a review where it compared quite favourably to the iphone 4, and for the difference in price the HD7 has come out on top for me.

Did you look at the Windows Phone 7 thread?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056001288

Most people opted out for Omnia 7 since the screen is worth it.

There's a HD7S on the way with an improved screen (the "S" stands for Super-LCD) and better contrast. I'm not sure if it's destined for Europe though as I've only seen it mentioned for the US so far.

On the other hand, the current first crop of WP7 handsets have been out for 6 months now, I'm sure there's a new fleet due to be announced and realised very soon (HTC for one have confirmed they have more on the way). Might be an idea to wait and see?

I've a HD7 and it's great. Nice big screen, good design and quality. And of course the OS is a pleasure ;-)

Correct me if im wrong but doesnt the EU HTC phones already have SLCD in them?

I think it was T-Mobile USA HD7's that had normal LCD's since Tmobile always had the need to tinker with hardware to what the OEM made.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Correct me if im wrong but doesnt the EU HTC phones already have SLCD in them?

I think it was T-Mobile USA HD7's that had normal LCD's since Tmobile always had the need to tinker with hardware to what the OEM made.

I was thinking of getting the HD7 but was going to hold out for the HD7s, I've read around a good bit and couldnt see anywhere that mentions the European HD7 already has an SLCD?

I was thinking of getting the HD7 but was going to hold out for the HD7s, I've read around a good bit and couldnt see anywhere that mentions the European HD7 already has an SLCD?

As far as im aware HD7 has a normal TFT LCD display.

Which is a disappointment...Alot of HD7 owners were really pissed of cause its basically a HD2 with a new shell.

Ive moved as well from HD7 to Omnia 7. Tbh AMOLED display should be a chassis requirement for Windows Phones as its best suited to the UI.

Advertisement