Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[PR] FIRM BEHIND GALWAY COACH STATION IN RECEIVERSHIP

Options
  • 13-12-2010 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.galwaynews.ie/16558-firm-behind-galway-coach-station-receivership

December 12, 2010 - 3:49pm GALWAY COACH STATION BUILDERS IN RECEIVERSHIP

THE firm involved in building the new coach station and Enterprise Ireland centre in Galway City has gone into receivership.
    Workcast, which built the Webworks Building is one of six companies connected to developer Bernard McNamara which have gone into receivership.
    According to a report in "The Sunday Business Post" Enterprise Ireland gave a grant of 4.4 million Euro to fund the building.
    Along with Galway City Council the state agency is understood to be in talks with the receiver about the future of the project.

I wonder what impact this will have on extension that's also being built, and indeed on use of the existing coach station.

Comments

That Webworks business seems like a huge waste of space. Is anything moving into it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

There is something in one unit on the corner of forster street, the site next door was abandoned a year or two ago, crane and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

That Webworks business seems like a huge waste of space. Is anything moving into it?

6 units taken, out of 42. Last time I checked a few months ago it was only 2 out of 42...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

its a great facility but the rent they were asking was bloody ridiculous!
    no way could a start up afford it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

A startup can get 100mbits off NTL in a converted garage in Knocknacarra , the small unit serviced office market cannot compete with home based tech startups. Once you get bigger then Ballybrit and Parkmore are chocka with larger fitted units lying empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 SteveSilverhead

I had read a while ago that this was the "preferred location" for BioWare...
    http://www.galwaynews.ie/13604-fairgreen-site-preferred-location-games-firm

However I don't know how authoritative or realistic the above story was, as I can't find a link anywhere else to back it up.

Anyway it seems they are moving to Mervue instead. See the following link and read down..:
    http://www.bioware.com/careers/howto/

According to their website, 6 out of 42 offices are occupied. See:
    http://www.webworksgalway.com/index.cfm/page/spaceavailable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭W!zard

skelliser wrote: »
    its a great facility but the rent they were asking was bloody ridiculous!
    no way could a start up afford it.

The prices have come down to a more respectable level and are now competitive across the city. There might only be a few of us in Webworks but there is already abit of a digital hub happening that will only grow with more start-ups entering + enterprises who have an interest in networking, open social space events, & knowledge sharing.

There is an Open Coffee event happening next week on Tuesday the 21st at 11am at Webworks and a few of us from the offices will be attending who will be more than happy to talk to anyone interested in the place.

I hope next year will see more start-ups & enterprises take a foothold in the building as otherwise it would turn into a waste of space, early days yet and in the times we are in, places like Webworks could be a good stepping stone to global markets for new & hi-tech businesses emerging from the West. :pac:

Advertisement