Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

usb not recognised

• 13-12-2010 9:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

hey i received this dell laptop brand new

spec is

dell 15" XPS
    windows 7 64bit home premium
    2.93ghz quadcore i7 processor
    8gb ram
    600 gb harddrive
    2gb Graphics Card etc

but it wont recognise some external usb drives i connect to it

any ideas ??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,573 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

are they host powered devices? if so you might have to patch in both cables that are on it into the usb slots as it might not be getting enough power

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 cycling_mad

Skerries wrote: »
    are they host powered devices? if so you might have to patch in both cables that are on it into the usb slots as it might not be getting enough power

there wd external 1tb drives with 1 cable which connects to drive and pc and pc powers them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Many recent, and especially 2.5" EXTERNAL DRIVES, COME WITH A 'y' CABLE (scuse caps lock there !) that needs 2 USB connections to get enough power. Each USB socket is limited to supplying 500mA [IIRC]

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Many recent, and especially 2.5" EXTERNAL DRIVES, COME WITH A 'y' CABLE (scuse caps lock there !) that needs 2 USB connections to get enough power. Each USB socket is limited to supplying 500mA [IIRC]

mine only comes with 1 and worked with old laptop

and what about pen drives ( keyring ones ) it wont recognise them either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

download the latest window 7 updates

after doing this and if you still have problems, go to control panel, troubleshooting, hit hardware and devices and see what it brings up

if this doesnt do anything try useing the usb slots at the back of your pc

• Advertisement

ok it recognises my 16gb usb drive and my garmin +ant stick , but not my 16gb PNY Attache swivel drive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

is that device windows 7 compatible? check the manual

m$ release device updates regularly

Advertisement