Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.22 wmr silencer

Options
  • 27-11-2010 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

hi guys, i'm getting my .22 mag threaded next week, i was just wondering if i will be limited to any particular bullets and if so does anyone know which ones and/or cost of same:confused:
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

RichieRich wrote: »
    hi guys, i'm getting my .22 mag threaded next week, i was just wondering if i will be limited to any particular bullets and if so does anyone know which ones and/or cost of same:confused:
    thanks

Shhhhhhhh!:rolleyes: Suppressor

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭FOXHUNTER1

When you fit a silencer to a .22 mag it's not like a standard .22lr
    You will still have a bang unlike a .22 subsonic so it wont make a major difference which brand of ammo you use .
    It will sound similar to an unmoderated .22lr subsonic if that makes any sense to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭RichieRich

hi, i've asked this a few times before, does anyone know if i have to use subsonic ammo in order to reduce noise level with a moderator on?
    how much can i expect the noise to be reduced by? has anyone here got a 22 mag with a mod on?? how does it work taking multiple shots on bunnies?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

I tried a SAK mod on mine, took it off after a dozen or so shots...

I don't think you can get Subs for the mag?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭RichieRich

is there any point in getting the bloody thing threaded so??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

None in my opinion. If I could go back I wouldn't have had mine done at all... 1: I would have saved the money, 2: my rifle wouldn't have stupid threads on the end that I don't need or want!

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭lee70

RichieRich wrote: »
    is there any point in getting the bloody thing threaded so??
    There you go you've answered your own question.
    I have a wmr and was going to do the same.was told by my dealer it was a waste of time.so save your cash for something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

If the only difference between a .22wmr round and a 22LR round is the velocity of the bullet, which increases the range and the accuracy. A subsonic bullet is designed to fly at below the speed of sound so that if you had a .22wmr bullet it would perform exactly the same as a .22LR round. I’m open to correction on this but this is my understanding.

So basically you might be better off getting a .22LR and threading it for a suppressor because the performance will be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The .22wmr and the .22lr are actually different sized cases, the wmr has a larger diameter case and the case wall is thicker to handle the increased pressure.
    Personally I wouldn't bother threading a .22 mag for a mod.
    Supersonic ammo will still make a bang as it breaks the sound barrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Savage93

Not possible to get subs for a .22 WMR, save your cash, waste of time, you'll reduce the noise level a bit but nothing significant, still have the boom when the round goes supersonic, if you want quiet switch to a .22lr with a mod and subsonic rounds.

• Advertisement
Advertisement