Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What did Jesus look like?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Festus wrote: »
    In fairness now we were discussing "the burning" of heretics because "we" didn't actually do the burning. "We" decided if they were heretics or not, and that's all "we" did. The secular authorities decided if they were to be burnt or not and carried out the sentence.

Given that:

Secularity (adjective form secular) is the state of being separate from religion

..what possible interest could a truly secular authority be said to have in someone being declared a heretic? If not wanting to keep on board with the religious authority of the day that is (which has implications for who the actual authority is).

Soulwinner reminds us of the motivations of the secular Roman authority when faced with the desires of the religious authority of that day as a case in point.

Just a point of clarity and no intention do derail the thread but some people do have it in their heads for some strange reason that the Catholic Church carried out the burnings and that simply is not the case.

We can conclude that the Catholic Church carried out the burnings in the sense that they pulled the trigger. The secular authorities were merely the bullet.

Burning as a form or execution has a long history as it provided for a much longer entertainment than hanging or beheading - the latter being far too quick in the days before the Premiership and Sky Sports

Do you consider Christians who perished by burning to be your brothers? I do. Could you refrain from speaking so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭georgieporgy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

I would see it as being no different from many other relics that were venerated during the Dark Ages such as the breast milk of the Virgin Mary, the loin cloth of Jesus, the three heads of John the Baptist, the thirty different rival claimants to the four nails of the crucifixion, the three Holy umbilical cords, and the eighteen foreskins of Jesus (one of which St Catherine of Siena wore on her ring finger).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

I seen a BBC documentary a few years reconstructing a face from a skull of Jesus's time and they made out that this particular person was very Arabic looking in appearance in the sense of black hair, black beard etc.. Not all Arabs are dark skinned within a certain Mr Bin Laden been one example. But with Jesus being a Jew would he not have a big nose if that stereotype were true? I think one could also assume Jesus wouldve been tallish and reasonably good looking as leaders generally stand out and its how they appear is what draws people towards them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Dotsey wrote: »
    I think one could also assume Jesus wouldve been tallish and reasonably good looking as leaders generally stand out and its how they appear is what draws people towards them

Yes, many of the world's "leaders" have been known for their stature and dashing good looks, Napoleon, Hitler, the Dalai Lama, Mohandas Ghandi... It takes more than physical looks to have that kind of magnetism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭georgieporgy

PDN wrote: »
    I would see it as being no different from many other relics that were venerated during the Dark Ages such as the breast milk of the Virgin Mary, the loin cloth of Jesus, the three heads of John the Baptist, the thirty different rival claimants to the four nails of the crucifixion, the three Holy umbilical cords, and the eighteen foreskins of Jesus (one of which St Catherine of Siena wore on her ring finger).

I have to confess to some disapointment at this response PDN. Such a post is better suited to the A&A forum.

I have to confess to some disapointment at this response PDN. Such a post is better suited to the A&A forum.

i found it interesting and informative, particularly the piece abaout St. Catherine of Siena.

prinz wrote: »
    Yes, many of the world's "leaders" have been known for their stature and dashing good looks, Napoleon, Hitler, the Dalai Lama, Mohandas Ghandi... It takes more than physical looks to have that kind of magnetism.

I'm living proof of it...!

PDN wrote:

rotf...

:pac:

(although I would have to say, Your Moderatorshipful, that this puts a dent in the armour of your evenhanded moderatorship (although I myself would consider that worth it..) :))

I fail to see why. You asked about the veil of Veronica, and any discussion of that needs to be set in the historical context of the pilgrimages to venerate relics that were characteristic of medieval Christianity.

As for the bit about St Catherine, it was an interesting detail that I came across while researching a book on Church History. The book is now in the final stages of editing and that particular incident has not made the final cut (no pun intended) with the publishers.

• Advertisement

Is there anything showing she actually wore something of a skin nature on her ring finger.

The only references I can find allude to Catherine stating in her writings that she was married to Christ, and that by his circumcision he had married us all, which seems all symbolic rather than literal, in terms of circumcision being the covenant etc... don't think she actually wore anything.
    Taking the girl’s hand, Our Lady held it up to Christ, who placed a ring upon it and espoused her to Himself, bidding her to be of good courage, for now she was armed with a faith that could overcome all temptations. To Catherine the ring was always visible, though invisible to others

http://apprising.org/2008/09/13/who-is-catherine-of-siena/

Edit: Interesting topic though, what did happen to the foreskin... :pac:

As for the bit about St Catherine, it was an interesting detail that I came across while researching a book on Church History. The book is now in the final stages of editing and that particular incident has not made the final cut (no pun intended) with the publishers.

Any particular reason why?

Any particular reason why?

It was deemed, probably correctly, that references to the Holy Prepuce would prove a distraction from the main points of that Chapter.

It was deemed, probably correctly, that references to the Holy Prepuce would prove a distraction from the main points of that Chapter.

:)

Hawking the book on The Late Late Show clearly isn't in your plans. When's it out?

:)

Hawking the book on The Late Late Show clearly isn't in your plans. When's it out?

Two or three more months I believe, although Amazon may have the e-book version on sale for the Kindle and iPad a bit sooner than that.

Anyway, we're well off-topic, so let's get back to what Jesus looked like!

Two or three more months I believe, although Amazon may have the e-book version on sale for the Kindle and iPad a bit sooner than that.

And it's title is...?

Advertisement