Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HTC Desire - Contacts Appearing Twice?

• 13-12-2010 10:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭

Hey,

New HTC Desire user here. I have my contacts sync'd up now to a Google Account (seperate account from my Gmail, was flooding the phone with too much). Each contact has at least email address and mobile number.

When I go to send an SMS, when I select contact there's a seperate listing for the email address and the mobile number - is there any way to hide the email contact here?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

I think this works:

Go to people, press menu, view and tick "only with phone number" at the top

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

No I'd tried that and it doesn't work for the SMS menu...

It seems to split contacts into 1 for each contact entry for them. I tried sending an SMS to an email address there and it sends as an email from 35385#######@mms.mymeteor.ie . Handy option but I'd rather not be shown the email addresses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Are you displaying contacts that are both on the phone and on google contacts? You should be able to deselect those.

Also go to google contacts, and ask it to merge duplicates. It'll get you to confirm which is great. Then re-sync.

All my contacts are Google contacts. There are no dublicates - the mobile number and email address are stored under the one contact. I can see the logic of having both these show up (SMS to Email) but i wouldn't be using SMS to Email so would prefer to only show phone number contact items when choosing SMS recipient.

Not possible? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Em, by contacts showing up in the list twice, do you mean that the same contact is showing up twice? I was having a problem after I synced all my contacts with my Google account from my Sim card. I was/am still seeing the contact twice. i.e. one from my Google contacts and one from the Sim contacts. Even if I ask it to hide the Sim contacts. You can differentiate between the two different ones by looking at the left hand side of the list when you go to send a message there is picture of a Sim, and a picture/silhouette for the Google contacts. Probably not what what you are seeing in your case but it might help you out.

• Advertisement

No that's different issue. Email and mobile numbers are appearing as two contacts, both saved under the same Google contact. It has its uses but I'd rather not have email contact details shown at all when picking SMS recipients....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Yeah, the only thing I would suggest is what Pacifico suggested, but as you say, that doesn't seem to work for you.
    You say that your gmail account is different from the google account that you have the pphone set up on, maybe it's mixing up the two contacts lists?

No my contacts are only sync'd with one account and that's not the issue... I'm not getting duplicates of the same number.

Let me try explain, and it seems now to not be a bug, just a setting I think that's not available and should be imo.

In each Google Contact you can set multiple contact points, a few mobile numbers, a few email addresses. When I go to send an sms the contacts are shown with their mobile number, then again with just their email address, then again with any other additional mob/email details saved. I take it this is to save clicking into the contact then clicking the mobile number/ email address. All my contacts have at least one mobile and one email address listed so it's a bit annoying that they're all showing up twice.

I see now though that it's not a bug (as you can SMS to email) and can't really be avoided unless they add a "hide email contacts" option in the SMS settings menu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭cardol

I have a similiar problem.

Under "People" my contacts are as they should be as per my Gmail acount. But when I go to send an SMS and click on the "People" icon, all my Gmail contacts are duplicated, and Facebook contacts are also showing. But I don't have Facebook linked to my contacts.

I've taken the steps Pacifico mentions and it didn't work! I have 66 contacts in my Gmail account, but following Pacifico's steps, Google shows I have 158 contacts.
    Here's 2 photos to show the problem.

Can anyone shed some light :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Don't know but I might drop Adela a quick email :-p

Only kidding!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭cardol

Walkman wrote: »
    Don't know but I might drop Adela a quick email :-p

Only kidding!!!

No idea what that means....lol :D

Oh I see!!! It's Monday night, my brain is fried!

Advertisement