Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to deal with stray dog?

• 13-12-2010 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭

Major deja vu about this one!

Took a drive there to the shop and outside my apartment complex I noticed a dog on it's own on the footpath. Came back and met my girlfriend in the car park, and the dog was there. It looks awfully neglected, so we've taken it in :(

This dog has been seriously neglected - it has clumps of fur missing, weeping sores, is filthy, and it's eyes are weeping too. We've just given it a bath and just letting water run over it turned the water near black.

Just wondering is there anything we should or shouldn't do with regards care for the dog?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

First thing I'd do is get it to a vet tomorrow, bald patches with weeping sores could be mange or something, which is awful for the poor dog. And the weeping eyes doesn't sound good either.
    Don't feed it too much at once, if its been starved for a while it could get sick, so small bits of food often.
    Give it somewhere warm and quiet to settle down for the night.
    And thank you for caring enough to take the poor dog in, especially in this cold weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

mymo wrote: »
    First thing I'd do is get it to a vet tomorrow, bald patches with weeping sores could be mange or something, which is awful for the poor dog. And the weeping eyes doesn't sound good either.
    Don't feed it too much at once, if its been starved for a while it could get sick, so small bits of food often.
    Give it somewhere warm and quiet to settle down for the night.
    And thank you for caring enough to take the poor dog in, especially in this cold weather.

We know getting her to a vet would help, problem is we're not exactly well off. :( Just out of curiosity, do vets do free exams or even subsidised exams on dogs that are strays?

On the plus side, she's now washed and we've chopped off a load of the fur that was matted, so she's happier and getting more confident. Also a good thing that she's getting on with the kitten, and the stray dog we found in the same complex last April :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Jimmy, don't mix your animals until you know the stray you've brought in has the all-clear - as it stands the dog is potentially contagious for all manner of things and could affect your existing animals.

The dog will need to go to the vet for a proper check up, and they'll charge you regardless of the fact that it's a stray. However the dog also needs to be scanned for a microchip in case it has an owner somewhere fretting over its whereabouts. Just because it's in bad condition now doesn't mean it didn't get that way after escaping / straying / being stolen from a home where it was well loved and cared for.

Now that you've washed and clipped it, the next step is definitely quarantine and a vet check / microchip scan.

Jimmy, don't mix your animals until you know the stray you've brought in has the all-clear - as it stands the dog is potentially contagious for all manner of things and could affect your existing animals.

The dog will need to go to the vet for a proper check up, and they'll charge you regardless of the fact that it's a stray. However the dog also needs to be scanned for a microchip in case it has an owner somewhere fretting over its whereabouts. Just because it's in bad condition now doesn't mean it didn't get that way after escaping / straying / being stolen from a home where it was well loved and cared for.

Now that you've washed and clipped it, the next step is definitely quarantine and a vet check / microchip scan.

Bit too late to seperate them but our cat and dog never get sick so they'll probably be grand.

We're going to check with one of the pounds this week about the dog, see if they can recommend a local vet that won't hit the pocket too hard.

If there's a microchip and it's from this complex, the owners will not be notified - this dog is in rough shape, and it's not been over the last week or two, it's been over months for sure.

Just feel so sorry for it :( Saying that, we've already decided we can't keep it, so unless the owners turn out to be decent, we'll rehome it with either relatives, or through Boards.ie or a pound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Well done OP on taking the dog in, especially with the weather as it is.

If/when you have to rehome it, try if you can to get him a rescue space rather than into the pound as there is a chance he wont come out of the pound. Maybe contact the local rescues tomorrow, let them know you have a dog that may need a rescue space shortly. At least then in a few days if you cannot find his owner or a new home they may have room and he will be up at the top of the list.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

First of all, fair play! But
    our cat and dog never get sick so they'll probably be grand.

NO WAY for this one! As much as you're doing a great job, please separate him from your other pets. Just because your current pets have never had any any illnesses, now is not the time to start,especially as you're not flush in affording vet bills.Theres too many diseases to mention that they could get.

Vets will be lenient with bills if you explain its a stray but you'll either have to surrender him to either the DSCPCA or the like. Pounds,garda stations,shopping centres,websites are the way to go as you know.

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Well done OP on taking the dog in, especially with the weather as it is.

If/when you have to rehome it, try if you can to get him a rescue space rather than into the pound as there is a chance he wont come out of the pound. Maybe contact the local rescues tomorrow, let them know you have a dog that may need a rescue space shortly. At least then in a few days if you cannot find his owner or a new home they may have room and he will be up at the top of the list.

Best of luck.

Aye, I should have specified, it won't be a pound where they put down animals after x days, it'll be a shelter.

Do any of the shelters do emergency pickups? Just as our dog has gotten a little scared by the stray, and we're both working tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Aye, I should have specified, it won't be a pound where they put down animals after x days, it'll be a shelter.

Do any of the shelters do emergency pickups? Just as our dog has gotten a little scared by the stray, and we're both working tomorrow.

Good :D

Where are you based? Someone here might be able to point you in the right direction.

Well done dude, that's great to hear. You and your good lady are splendid folk. What goes around comes around :)

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Good :D

Where are you based? Someone here might be able to point you in the right direction.

We're based in the Santry / Ballymun area, I can drive if needs be though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Mollikins

There's no advice I can give you that other posters haven't already said. But well done on taking care of that poor dog. It sounds like he is very lucky you found him. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭tudlytops

Don't think they do pick ups...

Any stray i got that we couldn't keep we had to bring them to shelters ourselves.

but you can start by posting a picture here, who knows maybe someone can give him a home.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭verywell

Perhaps post a pic of him too as there could be someone missing him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

We're based in the Santry / Ballymun area, I can drive if needs be though?

Dogs Aid do a subsidised clinic in Ballymun on a Tues evening, 6-7pm on Shangan Road, give them a ring for directions, best of luck.

verywell wrote: »
    +1

He may look neglected but there are a lot of pets with genuine skin conditions that on straying may just look like a neglected case with the most loving of owners. I suppose "dont judge a book by its cover" would be the way to put it.

www.lostdogs.ie
    www.irishanimals.ie
    www.dspca.ie
    www.ispca.ie
    boards lost and found thread
    etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭john t

Their is a lady behind airport who takes in rescue dogs, drive up from nct centre past dublin bus, at t-junction turn left and take first left down narrow road and last hse on right, you nearly come back too expeditors warehouse..

verywell wrote: »

I have to warn, the dog isn't going to win any prizes for looks: :)

It's the black dog, just to clarify.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

The blue cross might be able to help with treatment.
    http://www.bluecross.ie/

john t wrote: »
    Their is a lady behind airport who takes in rescue dogs, drive up from nct centre past dublin bus, at t-junction turn left and take first left down narrow road and last hse on right, you nearly come back too expeditors warehouse..
    I think thats Dogs Aid you're talking about. Always inundated so id really hold off until you have to go there.

Ah hes fab, looks like a water spaniel type mix of some sort.Breeds with long or curly knotted hair will always be prone to skin problems if not looked after well. Again, fair play for taking him in. Im sure you're doing your best. I live in an apartment if it was a house with a garden id be doing more than i am now.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

john t wrote: »

That's Dogs Aid, they've moved 2 miles down the road so I'd ring for directions. Give Maggie a ring anyway or bring him to the clinic, she'll let you know if there's room at the sanctuary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭smoggy11

anniehoo wrote: »
    +1

He may look neglected but there are a lot of pets with genuine skin conditions that on straying may just look like a neglected case with the most loving of owners. I suppose "dont judge a book by its cover" would be the way to put it.

www.lostdogs.ie
    www.irishanimals.ie
    www.dspca.ie
    www.ispca.ie
    boards lost and found thread
    etc

Hi all, I am the fabled missus.

Honestly, the dog does not just have a skin condition. The dogs fur was almost completely matted and missing huge chinks, the skin is weeping in places, scabby and flaking in others, the fur feels like the dog has not been cared for (hard to explain!)

The eyes are weeping and the pus coming from them is yellow in colour. I mean, I'm a nurse, I'm pretty sure yellow pus is a bad sign!

Also, the dog looks most like a Barbet, if that's any help to anyone!

smoggy11 wrote: »
    The eyes are weeping and the pus coming from them is yellow in colour. I mean, I'm a nurse, I'm pretty sure yellow pus is a bad sign!
    Ok,yeh not a good sign. Pus in any form isnt good be it dog or human.:o
    wrote:
    Also, the dog looks most like a Barbet, if that's any help to anyone!
    New breed for me im afraid and i thought i was fairly well up on them. Spitting image of a Barbet after i googled it.

Im maxed out to what i can advise now im afraid. G'luck but im sure if both of ya are looking out for him it'll be a good ending ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i would say that dog could have been stolen and ran off from the place he was taken to, he look too good to just be a stray, it is very possible that he is chipped and you will be doing great if he is, as the original owners will be very thankful to you when he come home to him, all vets have the scanners for the chips, explain to them that you have found the dog starving to death in this cold weather, and you do not have the readies for vet bills for him, ask them to scan for the chip

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

give him a cuddle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

MD1990 wrote: »
    give him a cuddle
    Lovely idea - if he is comfortable with cuddles :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

goat2 wrote: »
    i would say that dog could have been stolen and ran off from the place he was taken to, he look too good to just be a stray, it is very possible that he is chipped and you will be doing great if he is, as the original owners will be very thankful to you when he come home to him, all vets have the scanners for the chips, explain to them that you have found the dog starving to death in this cold weather, and you do not have the readies for vet bills for him, ask them to scan for the chip

I agree, or they wern't able to look after the coat and dumped him. I think he looks like a puli that someone tried to clip (which would make him worth a fortune!) and would explain what you say about the 'feel' of his coat. Think Bob Marley or a mop head. I can't see his tail in the pic though, you'd definately know by the tail.

I agree, or they wern't able to look after the coat and dumped him. I think he looks like a puli that someone tried to clip (which would make him worth a fortune!) and would explain what you say about the 'feel' of his coat. Think Bob Marley or a mop head. I can't see his tail in the pic though, you'd definately know by the tail.

The tail looks like it's been docked. It's about 4 inches long and has a stubby end.

The poor dog is lovely. We kept her in the hall last night away from our dog ans cat and she tried to get into us a couple of times. the she settled down and slept the whole night. On the plus side, the sores that were weeping have started to scab up. So that's a bonus! I'm gonna clean the eyes again soon, will a dilute saline solution do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Eye infections are generally not *that* big a deal once treated, though if you're a nurse you know the score there.

Yes, a saline solution will help with the eyes. My Staff gets the odd eye infection from time to time and I use eye drops/contact lense drops (the kind that's safe to put in human eyes obviously) to clean her eyes out twice a day and it clears up in about 48 hours.

I know Dog's Trust are out your way, but I don't know to what extent (if any) they will rescue a dog. He looks like he'd easily be rehomed, given the time to recuperate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

The tail looks like it's been docked. It's about 4 inches long and has a stubby end.

Is it carried over the dogs back?

• Advertisement

Is it carried over the dogs back?

No, It looks like it would be similar to a rottie tail if grown. It has that same stunted wagginess about it!

The dog is really itchy, So I'm going to de-flea it (and everything else I own!) I think the scratching is what's causing the sores. Fingers crossed a de-fleing will help sort it. She really is gorgeous. I'm starting to wish we could keep her. My own dog is even starting to get on better with her!

Advertisement