Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Veg Garden...

Options
  • 13-12-2010 10:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I'm looking for some advise on starting my own veg garden. I have set out a spot which is about 4 foot by 4 foot.

I'm not sure where to start has anyone any advise on what type of veg would be best and easiest for me to grow as I'm a complete novice and not sure where and when to start.

Oh and I also keep pigeons and they sometimes land in the garden so I presume I couldn't grow them from seed.

Any help would be great... thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

I did my first one this spring just gone, and my advice would be to time it right..
    I was overly enthusiastic, and planted too early with some, too late with others.
    Sow carrots and onions side by side, the onions keep away the carrot fly and vice versa.
    Dont be overzealous with watering.
    Stuff i failed on was lettuce and spinach and cauliflower, it all ran to seed really fast, dont know why.
    Try your hand at beans and peas, they grow so fast and easy.
    Potatoes are really rewarding to grow, as are mini squash.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is it a raised bed?
    what is the soil like; if it's heavy and claggy, sort that out before planting anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

BengaLover wrote: »
    Stuff i failed on was lettuce and spinach and cauliflower, it all ran to seed really fast, dont know why.

Didn't water enough? usually stress makes the plant run to seed quick.

Spinach can go over the top quickly but if you pince out the seed heads quickly and constantly harvest the plants for leaves you can prolong the life of the plant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

Onion sets make for an easy start - as do beans.
    Use a little garden netting to keep off the pigeons.

Kohlrabi is also a nice, compact plant thats a little unusual.

Oca is quite exotic, get that from ecofarm.ie instead of spuds - although new potatos are a delight to grow and harvest

A good article on exotic veg just got published in the Gaurdian
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2010/dec/13/new-life-on-veg-patch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Nicky369

Thanks folks,

All great advise I never knew that about the carrots and onions...

Bengalover: I have no idea how to discribe the soil... it just looks like soil to me :confused: Although i can tell you there was some herbs grown there last year... There was overgrown rosemary and others from the previous person who lived here so I'm presuming its OK to grow on...

Zuiderzee: I will definitely get netting. Good idea I never thought of that. In regards to the exotic veg I honestly wouldn't be interested as I probably wouldn't end up eating them. Carrots, onions, lettuce, potatoes, peas and beans are a definite.

I would also like to grow Tomatoes, Peppers and Garlic etc... Is there any variety that can be grown outside a greenhouse in this country?

Finally, I'm going to plant one or two apple and pear trees, have you any suggestions on varieties easily grown for edible apples/pears?

I'm going to the garden centre early in the new year and I'm sure I'll get some advice there but I'd like to have some knowledge on what is possible to grow...

Thanks again for all your help....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

Garlic can be normally grown outside no prob.
    The others depend on where you live in the country

For the apple and pear tree, Mr Middleton on Mary street Dublin have several good choices.
    My advice is to get one of the multi fruit types - e.g. a pear tree with three types grafted on - they mature at different times so you get less of a glut.

They also do apple trees in the same way, and you can order online

If your doing carrots why not get unusual types - like yellow or purple - I use them to make jam as well as liven up salads

With the lettuce, get a come and cut type - e.g. dont pull the whole plant, just take the leaves you need, the pland will keep producing

• Registered Users Posts: 36 greenart

Hi nicky 4ft x 4ft may be a bit small as a plot. here is a raised bed you could create though it doesnt have to be as elaborate if you have the room. http://greenartlandscapesireland.blogspot.com/

Advertisement