Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No toffees in my Roses

Options
  • 13-12-2010 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭

I've never posted in this forum before but I'm pretty PO'd about this and want to rant.

I bought a 1kg box of Roses in Tescos, Rathfarnham* yesterday. I'd really wanted Celebrations or Heroes as Roses have been disappointing for quite a few years. But they didn't have either of them so I decided to get the Roses as they were only €6 for the big box.

Last night I opened them up before bed and went straight for the Brazilian Darkness, the nutty toffee sweets and couldn't find any. I tipped the box out on the couch to check all the contents against the sweet list and couldn't find any Caramels, the ordinary toffee, either. All the others were there.

The hard sweets are my favourite. I sort of like the others but only as part of a selection with the toffees. I was so disappointed I didn't eat any. I've emailed Cadbury with a complaint, so I'll see what happens. If they quote the disclaimer that they are free to make substitutions to the listed selection I think I'll go to Coolock and start throwing soft-centres about.:mad::P

*In case anyone wants to avoid, or weird people especially want toffee free boxes.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

I've noticed this too, not just the toffees but a few of the old classics aren't there anymore or at least aren't in those big tins tescos are selling. I used to love the caramel ones that had the blue wrapper and the same motif as the box but they're gone too! And the little beer barrels too I think.

Victims of the recession maybe, look out for old Toffee Rose at the labour exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

They're my favourite too. Last year the toffees in our tin of Roses were way too soft for my liking. Not sure what happened to them :(

It'll be Heroes or Celebrations for me this year as well. Or feck it, even Quality Street!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Wait they don't do the toffees anymore or your box was devoid of them?
    That's awful!!
    I love the toffees, esp the Brazilian Darkness, though I do have to agree they never used to be as soft as they were last year. Hello toffee is meant to require work to chew!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I was given a box last week that had no toffees in it. They seem to have changed a few of the wrappers/shapes too without updating the pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Roses are now totally crap, but I'd have been ok with no toffees as I'm not crazy on them. They're always the ones left in my house.

All the nice ones are slowly disappearing though so I've long given up on Roses. Such a pity when they used to be so good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

star-pants wrote: »
    Wait they don't do the toffees anymore or your box was devoid of them?

My box was devoid of them. They are still on the picture on the side of the box and on the card with the list of sweets in the box. Just for some reason my box had none.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

iguana wrote: »
    My box was devoid of them. They are still on the picture on the side of the box and on the card with the list of sweets in the box. Just for some reason my box had none.

baxtards!!! Yes a strongly worded letter/email to them sounds like a plan.
    In the mean time - Riesen chocolate chew will be your friend *nyom nyom*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

They're now in a blue wrapper and they're no longer square. We had a similar issue until we identifed them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32 boodles

You have to go for quality street if you are into the toffees....... gave up on roses after last years disappointment....... pity as I do like Cadburys......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

nooooooo.jpg

I have a big tin at homer for the Christmas. I only like the toffees :eek:

• Advertisement

i hope you mean Quality Street in that big tin.................. otherwise you will be chewing nothing only soft yucky centres.....

................ or just keep a kalipso on the mantlepiece...........

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

....alas, they were Roses. The upside is that I haven't opened them yet so I can give them as a pressie and buy myself some lovely Quality Streets

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

I gave up on Roses after the took out the coffee flavoured ones. I mean come on. Just leave in one in every box or something or else do a special box with just coffee flavours. :mad::(:mad::(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

Celebrations are getting skimpy with their maltesers!
    + The Dutch celebrations have mini twixs in them!!
    Celebrations-NL.jpg
    Bastards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Ciaramb92

Celebrations are getting skimpy with their maltesers!
    + The Dutch celebrations have mini twixs in them!!
    Bastards!

Far as I remember, when they first came out here we had them too.. And Picnic bars.. I think..! :P

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

We had a box of Roses in work over the weekend, and the Brazilian Darkness ones were there, but they were log-shaped rather than square. It took me ages to identify them.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

i love brazilian darkness :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

We had a big tin in work yesterday and there was no brazilian toffee:(

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,317 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Ciaramb92 wrote: »
    Far as I remember, when they first came out here we had them too.. And Picnic bars.. I think..! :P

They would have been Topics, Picnics are made by Cadburys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

these are quality streets, I was disappointed to find 3 hard toffee ones, and the strawberry tastes very artificial.
    Current varieties

* Milk Chocolate Hazelnut with caramel (the 'Purple One')
    * Chocolate Noisette Pate (the 'green triangle')
    * Chocolate Toffee Finger (gold wrapped stick)
    * Toffee Penny (gold wrapper)
    * Vanilla Fudge (pink wrapper)
    * Strawberry Delight (red circular wrapper)
    * Coconut Eclair (blue wrapper)
    * Caramel Swirl (yellow frustum)
    * Milk Choc Block (green wrapper)
    * Orange Crunch (octagonal orange wrapper)
    * Orange Creme (orange circular wrapper)
    * Toffee Deluxe (Brown wrapper)
    * Surprise (Pink wrapper)

[edit] Discontinued varieties

* Purple One (the original 'Purple One' with Brazil nut, replaced with hazelnut version)
    * Chocolate Strawberry Cream (now replaced with Strawberry Delight)
    * Chocolate Toffee Cup (now replaced with Caramel Swirl)
    * Hazelnut Cracknell (red wrapper)
    * Hazelnut Eclair
    * Chocolate Nut Toffee Cream
    * Malt Toffee (replaced with toffee deluxe as a "new" flavour)
    * Milk Chocolate Round (now replaced with Milk Choc Block in green wrapper)
    * Peanut Cracknell (blue wrapper)
    * Coffee Cream (brown wrapper, same size and shape as the strawberry cream)
    * Gooseberry Cream (green wrapper light green fondant with a touch of Gooseberry Preserve covered in milk chocolate)
    * Apricot Delight (blue wrapper, square chunk, apricot flavoured jelly covered in milk chocolate)
    * Toffee Square (metallic pink wrapper, a small square of very hard toffee)
    * Chocolate Truffle (brown wrapper, square chunk, a soft truffle filling covered in milk chocolate)
    * Montelimar Nougat
    * Smarties (ordinary cardboard box of Smarties)

They had boxes with just purple roses before, dunno if they are still out, a few other popular ones were in boxes on their own too.

Roses
    * Brazilian Darkness - Red wrapper with gold twists.
    * Cadbury Dairy Milk - Purple Dairy Milk wrapper.
    * Caramel - Blue wrapped.
    * Caramel Velvet - Green foil wrapped.
    * Country Fudge - Log shaped gold wrapper.
    * Golden Barrel - Half-Barrel shaped, gold wrapper.
    * Hazel in Caramel - Purple wrapper
    * Hazel Whirl - Purple wrapper with orange twists.
    * Strawberry Dream - Pink foil wrapped.
    * Tangy Orange Creme - Square shaped, wrapped in orange foil.

In Australia the varieties have changed and are currently (2010):

* Dairy Milk - Purple and gold.
    * Hazelnut Praline Crisp - Orange and silver.
    * Strawberry Cream - Red and silver.
    * Classic Fudge - Silver and blue.
    * Chocolate Supreme - Violet and orange.
    * Caramello Deluxe - Orange and violet.
    * Cherry Ripe - Red and gold.
    * Hazelnut Whirl - Pink and silver.
    * Turkish Delight - Orange and red.
    * Vanilla Butter Caramel - Silver and orange.
    * Lemon Cheesecake - Yellow and silver.
    * Peppermint Cream - Green and silver.

Discontinued varieties
    * Praline Moment - Silver foil wrapped.
    * Chunky Truffle - Shaped like a chocolate brick, wrapped in blue foil.
    * Bournville - Small bar of Bournville Dark Chocolate. Moved brand to Cadbury Heroes.
    * Almond Charm - Blue foil-wrapped milk chocolate, with almond nut pieces.
    * Coffee Creme - Coffee flavoured, fondant cream soft centre, covered in dark chocolate.
    * Montelimar - Chewy nougat, encased in milk chocolate; green foil-twist wrapper.
    * Turkish Delight - Rectangular shaped, dark purple foil wrapped.
    * Orange Crisp - Orange wrapper.
    * Chocolate Bite - Pink wrapper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭smallgarden

can any1 confirm the barrels and toffees are gone?
    or just different shapes?

can any1 confirm the barrels and toffees are gone?
    or just different shapes?

The barrels were in mine, just in a different wrapper.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

We got a fair few tins of roses in
    Our office at work this Christmas and I noticed the other day (when opening our third box....) that the dairy milk ones were diff to the ones in the other box that we had just finished - there was only one piece as opposed to two pieces if you get me. Some strange goings on at cadbury.

And don't even get me STARTED on the Heroes!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

rubadub wrote: »
    these are quality streets, I was disappointed to find 3 hard toffee ones, and the strawberry tastes very artificial.

They had boxes with just purple roses before, dunno if they are still out, a few other popular ones were in boxes on their own too.

Roses

I loved the orange crisp and the chocolate bite!!! Why did they get rid of these??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

leahyl wrote: »

And don't even get me STARTED on the Heroes!

Celebrations are the only way forward this year ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭roboshatner

Ive said this on two threads already that the boxes are lighter this year and less in the box.

would say they filled it with the heavier sweats.

Cause I never ever had any complaints any other years.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭cbreeze

Roses have become very disappointing in recent years - I've migrated to Quality Street.

Wonder will they ever bring back 'Lucky Numbers'? There were lots of toffees in those!:)

I complained to them but never heard back. That's some crappy customer service. I'll honestly never buy Roses again. I bought 2 big boxes of chocolate covered toffee from Thorntons. And lots of other boxes from there as presents for people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 sexydancer

They have changed them all again:(

Advertisement