Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charity shops in Ennis since the recession

• 13-12-2010 10:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi all,

Are you buying more items from charity shops since the recession began?
    What are you buying?

Are you donating more or less to charity shops since the recession began?

Would you rather try and sell items on eBay or use Freecycle than donate them to a charity shop? If so, why?

Is it easier to use those companies who collect bags of clothes from people's homes than trek to the charity shop to donate clothes?

Just curious! Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

I frequented them before the recession. I also donate to them regularly. It's like a non-stop cycle. It's good for the household budget and for the community.

I do eBay big things, but for clothes and what not I give to one of the shops in town.

Sad thing was a while back I had a tonne of childrens toys which my son had grown out of. No shop would take them. I tried a couple womens shelters and the childrens hospital, they didn't want them. Ended up loading boxing of like new toys in the boot and taking them to the dump. There is a thread here somewhere about it sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 SupersonicSheep

What reasons did the shops give for not accepting the toys?

It's pretty shocking that they wouldn't accept perfectly good toys. I'm sure it must put people off donating if the shops turn away items.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

I was told by more than one shop and the charities that too many people were donating broken toys they couldn't sell.

I offered to even buy new batteries and put them in every toy so they could see they all worked (the ones that required them) and they still said no, because it was 'policy'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

I dropped off second hand toys yesterday to SVP in Parnell st, and they were delighted!!!

I had a clear out to make way for Santa

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭woggie

We give bags of stuff to the different charity shops around town - we try to "spread the love" ;). Very rarely give to the guys that collect from the door as have heard that there is BIG money to be made from them and I never see that they are affiliated with any charity.

There is one shop around near the river - think its the somalia shop and they will take EVERYTHING providing it works, i'm sure they would have taken the toys off you, we've given them a really old portable tv that worked fine but we no longer needed and they'd no problem taking it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭poppyvalley

woggie wrote: »
    have heard that there is BIG money to be made from them

How is this money made from unwanted stuff? I know in England they make industrial cleaning cloths from old clothes that are sold by the bale. Maybe it's done here too...I dunno. I know the reasonably good stuff goes to needy people all over the world, but where is the money made and by who?

Thanks
    Poppy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭spiralbound

A lot of the ' agencies' that collect from your door are scams - they are not affiliated with a charity, they just sell the stuff for a profit. Check the leaflets they put through the door - it's usually a mobile number for a contact, and chances are they won't answer if you ring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭poppyvalley

, they just sell the stuff for a profit.

Will someone tell me how this old discarded rubbish (in some cases) can be profitable or even sold in the first place?Sometimes I think that I should be paying someone to remove it. Who sells it? to whom? & who buys it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

The was a documentary on the telly saying that one shipping container of our stuff makes a profit of nearly half a million for the door collectors.

Not sure how, but if you google it im sure all the info will be there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

CptSternn wrote: »
    I was told by more than one shop and the charities that too many people were donating broken toys they couldn't sell.

I offered to even buy new batteries and put them in every toy so they could see they all worked (the ones that required them) and they still said no, because it was 'policy'.

You can also try http://www.freecycle.org/
    There's an Ennis group, you just advertise the stuff and whoever wants it, takes it away. No "policy" bullsh*t, other than you cannot sell stuff and no animals. Though kittens have been offered and it was no problem.

• Advertisement
Advertisement