Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Backpiece or ribs?

Options
  • 13-12-2010 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭

I have decided to go the whole hog and get a backpiece and am booked in for one next year but I am having a few reservations. My main concern is that with a backpiece I will never actually get to see it myself except in photos or a strained angle in the mirror and if I am paying €1000 + for something I would like to be able to see it. I was thinking then about going for a half back piece that came around to my ribs and chest but I am a bit scared of how much it will hurt there, I have heard horror stories about getting tattoos on the ribs and it is really putting me off but I think I would really love to have it done there, I just dont want to freak out half way through(or earlier) and be left with a partial tattoo. I know the back will be sore but I am not too worried about that, does anybody with experience of rib and back tattoos have any words of encouragement/warning for me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Pierced Off

I have had a full backpiece for a few years now. I love it. I don't feel the need to see it everyday nor do I feel the desire to show it off, but I know its there when I feel like having a look. If yoou bought a painting would you spend all day looking at it or only use the room where you have it hanging?. My partner sees imy back a lot more than me and she's still very happy my tattoo is there. She has only just had her back done, yes another full piece and now I get to admire her art. As for the pain factor, if you really want it then the pain/discomfort becomes secondary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

Its not about showing it off atall, it would get seen on my back as easily as on my ribs, It will also cover part of my arse so I'm not going to be parading that about too much I just like looking at my tattoos myself, I love to find different things in them everytime I look at them. I have always wanted a back piece but it is just since I booked it that I have been thinking about this. I will still be getting a large portion of my back done but I would just like something that I can see with my own eyes. I'm just worried about the pain of getting my ribs done, it is probably something deep rooted from years ago when I first heard stories about getting tattooed, I remember hearing bad ones about getting your ribs done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭M00lers

I have a big piece on my ribs and it was nasty but doable, just go to your happy place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭davi78

I've had both my back and ribs tattooed and I must say, ribs hurt more. But the pain goes away and you're left with something that will be with you for ever. As people have already replied to your comment about not being able to see your back-piece all I'll say is I agree with them. However, if the only thing stopping you getting your ribs tattooed is the pain, just remember that it's only temporary.

Consider the pain as the test you must complete in order to be worthy of having a tattoo...that's what I heard someone say a while back and I liked it!

Advertisement