Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People ringing me up about my Windows XP

Options
  • 13-12-2010 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭

I got three Phone calls this week alone from different people Suggesting that i was having issues with my windows XP,

On one of the phone calls i said i had no computer but they still rabbited on,

I now say straight away that who gave you permission to ring my number as i am exdirectory etc ,

and that i wanted there names and phone details

was just wondering if anybody had same problems

someone said to me just put phone down but dont hang up

Any ideas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

It's a scam, hang up on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭faolteam

folks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

tinkerbell wrote: »
    It's a scam, hang up on them.

That's accomodating them - better to waste their time and when they get to asking for your credit card details - say - yes sure, give me a minute and then leave the phone on the table leaving them waiting until they hang up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

I was talking to 3 different people this happened to. Not going to be libellous here but suffice to say it appears that the common denominator is people who have their broadband with a certain service provider appear to be targeted therefore the providers data has either been hacked/stolen/sold on. This was on the radio about 6 weeks ago and the advice is the same as in the article - don't engage in the conversation, hang up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭kirving

Data has not been stolen.

They just use a random phone number generator to find numbers to ring. (ie: if no. 123456 is in the directory, and no. 123458 is too, chances are, the number in between exists too, so they ring it, even if it ex. directory.)

They just keep ringing numbers until they get a response, and try to get the person to allow them access to the computer via the internet. (by telling them how to view the error log, which also records countless of irrelevant errors)

Advertisement