Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Online Check-in & travel tips

Options
  • 13-12-2010 11:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭

it will be my second time leaving the country so im not a " fluent traveler" first time proceeding with online check in.. few questions you may answer for me as Aer lingus website have shag all info!

• All i need to do is print out the page once i have processed the online check in??

• When they say hand luggage...is that eg a handbag or can you avoid bringing hand luggage and instead bring a suitcase???

• Im off to vegas so plan on bringing over a **** load of clothes...i hear that there is a quota for how much clothes you can bring back.. (pull tags off clothes and make them dirty so it doesnt look like there new, iv heard it all!)
    • How long must i arrive at dublin airport before flight?? flight is at 12oclock and il have a suitcase and my partner will have the same luggage
    • Finally do you have to put your bags through the whole check out process once i arrive from dublin to heathrow ( im heading from heathrow then direct to las vegas)

THANK YOU AND I LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING YOUR TIPS/EXPERIENCES:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

few questions you may answer for me as Aer lingus website have shag all info!

They have a whole page on baggage
    http://www.aerlingus.com/travelinformation/baggage/

another on going to the US
    http://www.aerlingus.com/travelinformation/traveladvice/#d.en.1503

if you are travelling on one through ticket you may be able to check your bags through, otherwise you'll probably have to check them again at Heathrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭seanie69r

ardmacha wrote: »
    They have a whole page on baggage
    http://www.aerlingus.com/travelinformation/baggage/

another on going to the US
    http://www.aerlingus.com/travelinformation/traveladvice/#d.en.1503

if you are travelling on one through ticket you may be able to check your bags through, otherwise you'll probably have to check them again at Heathrow.

yea i looked at those thanks!!!!

what you mean by straight through ticket?? i bought my tickets through travel agent

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dead air

seanie69r wrote: »
    it will be my second time leaving the country so im not a " fluent traveler" first time proceeding with online check in.. few questions you may answer for me as Aer lingus website have shag all info!
    • All i need to do is print out the page once i have processed the online check in??

Pretty much. When you get to the airport, even if you're already checked in you should go to the check-in desks to check your bags in.

Do you have to check in online for the second flight from Heathrow to Vegas online or can you do that at the check in desk at Heathrow?
    • When they say hand luggage...is that eg a handbag or can you avoid bringing hand luggage and instead bring a suitcase???

Hand luggage would be a handbag or small backpack. If you have a suitcase, Aer Lingus will make you check it in, whether or not you decide to bring hand luggage as well.
    • Im off to vegas so plan on bringing over a **** load of clothes...i hear that there is a quota for how much clothes you can bring back.. (pull tags off clothes and make them dirty so it doesnt look like there new, iv heard it all!)

Not sure what the € value is that you're allowed to bring in but if you're looking for some bargains, take a taxi down to this place!: http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/outlet.asp?id=58. Don't forget that the prices on the tags in the US do not include tax, so expect to pay a bit more at the tills.
    • How long must i arrive at dublin airport before flight?? flight is at 12oclock and il have a suitcase and my partner will have the same luggage

I would be there no later than 10am myself. Check your ticket though.
    • Finally do you have to put your bags through the whole check out process once i arrive from dublin to heathrow ( im heading from heathrow then direct to las vegas)

I'm not sure about this, sorry. Ask when checking your bags in if you can check them all the way to your final destination. But there's a good chance that you'll probably have to pick them up in LHR and then check them in again.

Have a great time in Vegas, I can't wait to go back there myself next year.

Don't forget your passports and your ESTA for US Immigration!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,298 ✭✭✭markpb

dead air wrote: »
    I'm not sure about this, sorry. Ask when checking your bags in if you can check them all the way to your final destination. But there's a good chance that you'll probably have to pick them up in LHR and then check them in again.

If you have tickets on two code-share airlines (which you probably do if you booked them through a TA), your luggage will be checked all the way through so you drop them off in Dublin and pick them up in Vegas. What airlines are you flying with?

Also, when you get to Heathrow, go *immediately* to T3 or T5. It can take a while to clear security so do not hang around in T1. The minimum transfer time between 1 and 3 is 1.5 hours but when it's busy, it's taken me just under 2.5 hours.

dead air wrote: »
    Pretty much. When you get to the airport, even if you're already checked in you should go to the check-in desks to check your bags in.

Do you have to check in online for the second flight from Heathrow to Vegas online or can you do that at the check in desk at Heathrow?

Not sure what the € value is that you're allowed to bring in but if you're looking for some bargains, take a taxi down to this place!: http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/outlet.asp?id=58. Don't forget that the prices on the tags in the US do not include tax, so expect to pay a bit more at the tills.

I dont know if you have to check in again online for heathrow???!?! JEZ i must find out...

Glad to hear you had a class time in vegas! hope to have the same!

thanks for the link... i will have look at it!!:D:D

• Advertisement

markpb wrote: »
    If you have tickets on two code-share airlines (which you probably do if you booked them through a TA), your luggage will be checked all the way through so you drop them off in Dublin and pick them up in Vegas. What airlines are you flying with?

Also, when you get to Heathrow, go *immediately* to T3 or T5. It can take a while to clear security so do not hang around in T1. The minimum transfer time between 1 and 3 is 1.5 hours but when it's busy, it's taken me just under 2.5 hours.

im flying from dublin to heathrow with aer lingus and heathrow to vegas via BA (british airways). yes i booked it through a travel agent mark..

thanks alot for the tips with the terminals;)

im flying from dublin to heathrow with aer lingus and heathrow to vegas via BA (british airways). yes i booked it through a travel agent mark..

AL and BA are in a code-sharing alliance I'm 99% sure that your bags will be checked all the way through but you'll be told by your check-in agent at Dublin. You can double check by looking at the baggage tags that they stick to your ticket or passport in Dublin (they'll show "LAS via LHR" if they're going all the way through).

If you haven't pre-selected a seat for the BA flight on-line (some travel agent check-ins don't let you), then you can go to the British Airways transfer desk in Heathrow and they'll let you select your seat there. Transferring in Heathrow is easy, just keep following the purple Transfer signs. You'll probably need to take a bus between terminals but they're very regular and only take a few minutes.

One thing that might trip you up is security in T1. When I transferred in Heathrow in October, I had to pass through security in Dublin, T1 and T3 so you can't carry any liquids above the usual limits. If you buy something in Dublin duty-free or in T1, you might lose it before you get on the bus. (I've not used T5 so I don't know if the same applies.)

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭steve-o

AL and BA are in a code-sharing alliance
    The basic rule is: if it's all on one ticket, then you can check your bags through regardless of any airline codes.
    Transferring in Heathrow is easy, just keep following the purple Transfer signs.
    You are a bit out of date! OP, when checking in, choose seats at the back of the Aer Lingus plane, because you will exit the back door and on to a connections bus. That will take you to a little bus station where you can transfer straight to another bus for Terminal 5.

steve-o wrote: »

You are a bit out of date! OP, when checking in, choose seats at the back of the Aer Lingus plane, because you will exit the back door and on to a connections bus. That will take you to a little bus station where you can transfer straight to another bus for Terminal 5.

hi steve-o!

so it will be terminal 5 i will be aiming for yes??? thanks a mill for your info

One thing that might trip you up is security in T1. When I transferred in Heathrow in October, I had to pass through security in Dublin, T1 and T3 so you can't carry any liquids above the usual limits. If you buy something in Dublin duty-free or in T1, you might lose it before you get on the bus. (I've not used T5 so I don't know if the same applies.)

how long roughly does it take to get to the terminal once arrived in heathrow??? thanks mark for security tip also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

When did this arrangement start? Last time I flew to LHR, everyone disembarked by the front door using the jetbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Yeh, Aer Lingus into LHR Terminal 1, you always exit at the front onto a bridge.

I've never exited onto a bus from T1 - always the airbridge. The bus station you're talking about is the Flight Transfer area but you have to go through T1 arrivals to get to it. There's some information at the bottom of this page on the LHR website about the transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭steve-o

I've never exited onto a bus from T1 - always the airbridge. The bus station you're talking about is the Flight Transfer area but you have to go through T1 arrivals to get to it.
    It's relatively new. London passengers exit using the airbridge at the front door. After they have gone, transfer passengers go down the back steps to the bus. The bus goes straight to a ground-level transfer station where you catch another bus to your terminal. If your next flight is from T1, then you just go up the escalator into the T1 connections centre.

It's relatively new. London passengers exit using the airbridge at the front door. After they have gone, transfer passengers go down the back steps to the bus. The bus goes straight to a ground-level transfer station where you catch another bus to your terminal. If your next flight is from T1, then you just go up the escalator into the T1 connections centre.

I was there in October and didn't see any sign of that. Great idea if it works as you described.

I was there in October and didn't see any sign of that. Great idea if it works as you described.

will have to see if that is true!

by the looks of things i may be lucky to go atall with the forecasted weather....

Advertisement